InConJunction, Indianapolis July 6-8

a headsup...

The Many Worlds of George R.R. Martin 1 hour Q and A is at 2pm Saturday. And he will be doing the 1hour reading at 7pm saturday.

I have mine packed up as well. Hope the battery holds out...It should! it does video and sound as well, but it won't do hours of it. I don't have a large enough chip.

And I think I want to hit both of those events, Trebs. Cool....

Oh, some random questions for the Q&A, in case there's any opportunity:

1) How was it that Lord Arryn's heir, Elbert Arryn, accompanied Brandon Stark to King's Landing? (Could be interesting to settle this one, as it might give a hint as to Brandon's movements)

2) Is the game of cyvasse inspired by any real world games?

3) About how old is Darkstar? Is he younger or older than Arianne Martell?

Let me trot out some other random ones:

Is it fair to say that the Dornishmen have a stronger sense of "national identity" than most of the other kingdoms? (The recent war was largely a top-down affair, with the nobles marshalling their forces, but the outrage in Dorne at the death of Prince Oberyn seems to start from the ground floor of society and go upwards from there. There's also little things like Timeon's dying curse about death sending him back to Dorne, and it seems that the end of the Young Dragon's conquest was also largely a matter of the general populace -- and not just the nobles and those they commanded -- deciding to turn against it.)

Did Simon Toyne's career of outlawry have anything to do with the brothers Toyne who brought ruin onto their house?

Was the last King of Mountain and Vale killed in battle, or did he surrender to Aegon the Conquerer? (The Vale is the only area where we haven't been told how they came under Targaryen rule, IIRC)

Hello all,

I don't often post here, prefer to lurk. But I am because I was able to clear the weekend and will be on my way to Indy tomorrow to InConJunction!

Reason for the post is because I've never been to a convention before, so I was hoping to get some advice on what is to be expected. Like how to time the events, what to bring, anything else for first timers. I'd also like to meet up with some of you other BwB enthusiasts and chat. Also, do you all know how GRRM feels about book signings or if he will be available for them? I was able to get a hardback Game of Thrones from B&N, current edition and nothing fancy, but I would treasure it in my library. Anything else I should know before leaving in the morning (parking,food,etc)?

If any of you could respond, I'd really appreciate it. And I'll see you tomorrow in Indy. I'll be in the red t-shirt with a golden lion coat of arms on the front.

Thanks,

Brandon McMillan

Here is my report from the Q+A session.

DWD is not done. George believes writing is an art and he has to find the right words and the right structure and that takes time and some re-writes. He still hopes for seven books.

He may write other stories in the IAF world that take places 100's of years before or 100's of years after.

He is a student of popular history and likes the story aspect of them. But he does like the sensation of not knowing what is going to happen next.

His experience in television influences the way IAF is written through act breaks that hook the readers.

Wildcards too was a training ground for ASOIAF. IAF is a Wildcards mosaic novel with George telling all the parts.

About the HBO series. David Bennyhoff(sp?) and Dan Weiss(sp?) are writing the screenplay. They have written the first draft of the pilot and have sent it to HBO for revision. There will be twelve hours worth of shows and George will write one hour. As for it all actually happening, George has not yet "bought the couch" meaning it is definitely not set in stone.

There are plans for nine D+E stories covering their whole life.

The concept of heroes and villains is a false dichotomy, in George's opinion. Real human beings are a mixture of good and evil.

All the characters are in danger.

There will be no gods on stage in the books and the reader will have to decide whether there are gods or not.

Once the books are done, we will have such a detailed description of Robert's Rebellion that a prequel will not be necessary or at least have little suspense.

The challenge with IAF is that he has to publish each book as it is written so he doesn't get to go back and edit earlier volumes like he would if had won the lottery.

I asked Ran's question about the King of Mountain and Vale and George told me to keep reading for that one.

Here is my report from the Q+A session.

There are plans for nine D+E stories covering their whole life.

:cheers::drool:

So let's see -

Hedge Knight

Sworn Sword

3 At the wall?

4 Another Blackfyre Rebellion?

5 ????

6 ?????

7 Dunk joins the Kinsguard, possibly sotry built around how Aegon comes to the throne

8 Dunk in the Kinsguard, ending up with him being Lord Commander. Including the tourney with Barristan the Bold.

9 The events at Summerhall

Aratan

:cheers::drool:

So let's see -

Hedge Knight

Sworn Sword

3 At the wall?

4 Another Blackfyre Rebellion?

5 ????

6 ?????

7 Dunk joins the Kinsguard, possibly sotry built around how Aegon comes to the throne

8 Dunk in the Kinsguard, ending up with him being Lord Commander. Including the tourney with Barristan the Bold.

9 The events at Summerhall

Aratan

Dude, spoilerific.

I just have a few things to add to Jon Targ's post.

George, to those who can't understand why it's taking him so long to finish DwD: "writing is an art, its not like unloading a freight car"

he published his first short story in 1971, and he's written about 100 short stories during his career

- many of his short stories are 'ghosts of other multi-volume stories' and 'busted series' i.e. he had intended them to be part of various series that he never got around to finishing

- Wild cards was the first series to do a 'shared world' in contemporary times and with superheroes (vs. eg. thieves world)

- the third volume of wild cards is what he calls a 'mosaic novel' and was very difficult to writie, since you have to coordinate everyone's characters and plots; back in the day it was even more difficult without computers, he was literally cutting and pasting the story with scissors and a xerox machine

- as for the HBO show and not 'buying the couch": HBO has only 'OPTIONED' the rights

- now that the first pilot draft has been sent to HBO, they will make notes on it, send it back, then the Dan's will make a second draft, send it in, get comments, write another draft, repeat repeat

- THEN HBO will decide if they even want to film the pilot, if so, they make it

- THEN they screen the pilot and depending on the response, decide to film further episodes

- in other words, don't get too excited about it actually happening

- the third D&E is about 3/4 of the way finished, but he had a hard time figuring out how to complete it, so it won't get done until after DwD is done

We're about to go to the reading, then to dinner with George, then to BarFleet, and then to hang in the BwB suite.

-Lugalirra

P.S. The ONLY way we are going to post notes from the reading is if Ran agrees to give up rights to Red Viper to Trebla!!!

ole!!!!!!!

-Trebla :fence: ;)

P.S. The ONLY way we are going to post notes from the reading is if Ran agrees to give up rights to Red Viper to Trebla!!!

Ouch. You're going to have to wrestle Linda over that one. ;)

ole!!!!!!!

-Trebla :fence: ;)

Trebs baby - did you SEE Ran as the Red Viper? I mean, if you had been there, maybe - I did have to twist his arm into doing it - but he PWNED the role. :P

(translated to - I don't think you could hang like he did. Sorry, sweetie.)

Spoilers? How so? Please explain.

Aratan

Oh, nothing major. Vhagar and I have been trying to avoid information about Dunk and Egg all weekend, since we haven't read the short stories yet. I had to fight Trebs to prevent him from telling me what happens to them eventually (i.e. who they become); i read the books long before i got Legends. Anyways, we know now, also because of accidental spoilers here in person.

Jon Targ says: At the reading, it was a NEW chapter; the PROLOGUE! Now we're gonna go party with George at BarFleet. Peace out! :smoking::devil:

Trebs says: Ran may be prettier and wittier, but Trebla is badder as the Red Viper! :fence:

To be fair, if you know Dunk is Ser Duncan the Tall (a name he adopts almost immediately in the first story), you know pretty much everything you need to know about who he and Egg will become. ACoK mentions that Aemon's brother was Aegon V, ASoS mentions Duncan the Tall was eventually a famous Lord Commander of the Kingsguard under Aegon V, AFfC sees Aemon mention his brother Egg and the big knight he served visiting him in Oldtown....

The stories obviously helps make all those details more obvious, but the details are there in the published books. :)

That George read the prologue is very, very interesting indeed. Can't wait for the report. :) Where'd you guys have dinner, also? Any place interesting?

(P.S. BTW, Lu, assuming you were made a knight at Anaheim, you can request a custom title. :)

Archived