June Reading

kcf

I'm on the Harry Potter reread at the mo - getting through Phoenix now, should get HBP knocked out over the weekend. Probably Brasyl's up after that.

I'm about halfway through The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell. I may pick up The Historian after that. Headig to the beach in two weeks. :D

So, what's everybody reading this month?

I'm about 150 pages into Red Seas Under Red Skies by Lynch. So far so good.

How? Wha? Have I been under a rock somewhere??? Amazon shows that not out until July...at least in the US. Is it out somewhere else???

:: wipes drool away with sleeve ::

./D

Oh yeah, Im reading NAME OF THE WIND by Patrick Rothfuss. FANTASTIC stuff.

About a third of the way through Rules of Ascension, book 1 of Winds of the Forelands, by David Coe.

Not so sure about this one. Unless it takes a major turn downhill, I'll finish it, but I don't know if I'll want to read more. After this I've got one more book on the shelf, then a big order to put in.

Damn hardcovers being both large and expensive.

Just finished Midnight Tides by Erikson, with the inferior U.S. cover. I've seen a lot of different opinions on this one even among fans of the series, but in short I liked it and will read the next installment.

Next on my pile is Marvel 1602 by Gaiman, which I picked up for 2 bucks recently at a used book sale. I'm not a big reader of Marvel comics but love Gaiman's Sandman, so I figure there's a good chance I'll like this. :)

Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.

Can't decide if I like it or not. First half was 'blah' all the way, but the second book is much better. Jury's still out, though.

I plan to pick up Lynch's 'lamora' book from the library on the way home from work. I will certainly start that before I finish Quicksilver.

Just started A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. This is the same guy who wrote The Kite Runner.

I'm intrigued to read about female relationships in Afghanistan during the Soviet/Taliban eras.

I started reading Consider Phlebas, my very first Iain M. Banks novel, a couple of days ago. I have read about 80 pages and am not very excited so far, but I am sure it will improve later.

Read A Coin for the Ferryman by Rosemary Rowe, then read all nine of the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher. They were pretty good. The first book was a little corny, but the series only seems to get better as it progresses. Very light and entertaining read, yet mangaes to be serious at the same time. Characters and background develop even as the story as each book maintains a certain formula. Definitely worth reading. :thumbsup:

Just started A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. This is the same guy who wrote The Kite Runner.

I'm intrigued to read about female relationships in Afghanistan during the Soviet/Taliban eras.

Oooh, i didn't really love Kite Runner, but I heard him reading from this and discussing it on NPR the other day. Please remember to report back on it!

Finishing up 'The Second Crusade: Scope and Consequences'... after that, moving on to 'Warriors of God' by James Reston Jr, 'The Fourth Crusade and the Sack of Constantinople' by Jonathan Phillips and 'The Perfect Heresy' by Stephen O'Shea.

Yea, I'm a nerd. So what?

I'm about two thirds of the way through both On Stranger Tides and Anno Dracula. I just started to read The Atrocity Archives and about one quater of the way through The Drawing of the Dark. I would like to finish all these books before Reaper's Gale drops in my mailbox at the end of the month. So far all the books are good with Anno Dracula my favorite.

So, what's everybody reading this month?

I'm about 150 pages into Red Seas Under Red Skies by Lynch. So far so good.

I'm at page 260 and it just keeps getting better. :)

I'm actually liking it more than LoLL.

Have you had a chance to read Chiang's 'The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate' yet? I really want to get my hands on a copy and can't wait for it to get published this summer.

I'm at page 260 and it just keeps getting better. :)

I'm actually liking it more than LoLL.

Have you had a chance to read Chiang's 'The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate' yet? I really want to get my hands on a copy and can't wait for it to get published this summer.

too early for me to have an opinion vs. tLoLL

Anyway, I'll be getting to the Chiang book sometime in the next month. I've not read anything by him, but with his rep, I'm really looking forward to it.

Archived