Memory of Light v. A Dance With Dragons

Humble Asskicker

Yes, it's easier to do a full draft, then go back and edit it, but I believe GRRM is a perfectionist in his own works. If a character seems too dull, a scene not fleshed out enough, or anything isn't up to his standards, he just can't leave it. He's a perfectionist, and God am I grateful for that, since because of it his writing is breathtaking.

Though I do wish he'd perhaps devote more of his mind and time to writing SoIF, I'd much rather it be high quality and done slowly, than done sooner but in less detail. The guy doesn't have too many years to live, and I am sure he wants to make a legacy. That's not going to be achieved through sheer production, but through sheer quality.

AryaFan, I think you have to be careful about saying that he prefers to write "quasi-historical fantasy" since up to aSoIaF, he wrote very little of the stuff. I don't think magic per se is a problem, its more that he has to be careful about its use (so that it doesn't overwhelm the story).

And as Wert said, a lot of his favourite characters are in aDwD.

GRRM always finds writing difficult I believe but aFfC was a lot more difficult than any other book before. I agree that that has an effect on aDwD, as he has to bring the two strands together to make the following book more seamless.

AryaFanNumberOne: I'm not aware of GRRM ever saying that he 'despises' heavy doses of magic in fantasy, and such critical language seems uncharacteristic. And after all, if he didn't want magic in ASOIAF he wouldn't have put it in. I don't think it's magic that's causing him problems: I think it's still the effects of getting rid of the 5-year gap.

i do think GRRM should stop making promises/predictions - a straight out 'it will be finished when it's finished' is much better than building expectations and then turning back on them...

If you read his blog, he did explicitly stop making predictions a wee while ago. Naturally, that hasn't stopped people arguing about when it'll be finished anyway. ;)

Well, this is the response one author had to aspiring writers in his FAQ:

Though I too doubt that GRRM doesn't at least try to write whenever he's home. Martin's delays seem to stem from rewrites. Prolific authors I've read about - for example, Hobb and King - say that they do one complete draft before rewriting, and thus they can release a book a year. Martin constantly goes back and rewrites old chapters. So he'll write every day, but often it's the same few pages.

Yeah, I think this is a major issue, particularly with AFFC and ADWD.

ETA - I'm conscious that this thread has drifted off-topic for the Literature forum, by the way.

• 1 year later...
Are you sure that's for real? I seem to recall Amazon having all kinds of dates for Feast for Crows, none of which turned out to be even close to the truth....

Well, it's certainly preliminary right now. But if Sanderson makes his deadline for a good draft of December (and he says he will on his blog fairly often - he's already submitted 1/3 of the book) this should be doable. Hariett and the other editors involved will need to turn the book around quickly and Sanderson will need to work on edits and re-writes fairly quickly, but Tor will fast-track the publication, so October 2009 is possible, if a bit optomistic.

I think april 2009 is a good date for ADWD. I think oct 2009 is a good date for MOL. So Dance will win this debate IMO. I think the reason that but authors have taken longer to get there later books out than there firsts is becuase the deeper you get in the stories the more of the small stuff you have to watch and be careful and in the case of Martin, the more of the seeds you planted in AGOT becomes harder to expand. Also I think hes trying to plant new seeds in the later books that werent in his mind in AGOT and the fact Dance has been delayed more than any of his others is because of the time split. He told us all hed have this book out quickly after Feast because he wrote it all as one, then split it so hes got a good head start. But I think he mostly entirely scrapped his start to Dance last year or so based on were he wanted to go after looking back at feast and seeing how he left it. He had a big problem with the pace of the story. He desprately wants to fit in seven books but also wants to speed it up so people are older. THe pace of Feast and now Dance is crucial more than any other books being in the middle, so this has set him back. But I do think he rewrote and reworked much of Dance already and is now just deciding on were to leave it and wether to tie up loose ends or how much so. As far as Jordan its really up to this new author which I dont know much about. Does he work much faster than Jordan? Does he want to stay true or add some stuff in he feels should go in? Theres many more questions but I got the feeling Jordan left him with a good guide to the end and a good chunck (maybe more than a third) already written and rewritten. If this is the case for both, I feel optimistic that both will have them out next year, with Dance coming out first.

L'Sana

Are you sure that's for real? I seem to recall Amazon having all kinds of dates for Feast for Crows, none of which turned out to be even close to the truth....

Well I'm sure that's what Orbit thinks right now about when the book is coming out.

I'm also sure that this is not a release date that they estimated a long time ago and simply have not seen fit to adjust; it's a date they just put up, presumably on their latest info.

Furthermore we know that TOR has said that MoL will come out in the US in Fall 2009, so that matches as well, and of course Sanderson has confirmed that goal.

Finally we know that Sanderson is a very quick writer.

So it's likely that this will be the date. But it's open to change.

Give that we are expecting a completion announcement for A Dance with Dragons within a few months, I cannot seen how AMoL would make it out first.

This is from the first page of this thread. I almost started laughing and crying simultaneously.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to have both books published within months of the other, like last time.

This is from the first page of this thread. I almost started laughing and crying simultaneously.

For me it's just gloomy resignation. By now I don't expect ADwD before 2010, well after AMoL. :(

Archived