Goodkind XX: Pitying the Guilty

The Wolf Maid

I WIN!! I WIN!! I'M THE FIRST REAL POSTER!! I CHOOSE LIFE!! MY PENIS HAS TRUTH WRITTEN ON IT!!!

Wolf Maid's doesn't count 'cause it's just the intro screen.

I CHOOSE LIFE!!

Sure. ;)

In continuation of the Violet discussion, this was what Mystar had to say about it in the GKIII thread:

...simply the fact IS that you missed the allegory in that specific part of the book, the metaphor that true evil left uncheck and unbridled can reign, even in that of a child.... Or have you missed the fact that children have been used to do evil and kill people in war...They are led to believe they are in the right to be cruel...(yeh you missed that...why am I not surprised).

simply the fact IS that you missed the allegory in that specific part of the book

The simple fact is that as a child of evil she has less moral culpability than an adult of evil in the same position, but that's not the simple point. The simple point that, as WLU said in the last thread, Goodkind deliberately set up a situation to give himself and excuse to write about a child being kicked in the face. Presumably he is trying to demonstrate that everyone is responsible for the evil they choose, even small children. Although I do wonder, if Richard had not been tied to a wall tortured and threatened would he still have kicked her in the face if she had zapped him with the butt-plug and threatened Kahlan? It is, supposedly, the moral thing to do. I mean, she would still be an obnoxious evil child. What are the pre-conditions for good honest, self-righteous mandible booting?

What was it exactly, do you suppose, that set Goodkind off. Is it that child offenders aren't punished like adults? Is he frustrated that he can't go to his local prison and watch small children executed for the horrors they afflict on others. Or was he just shitty because some kid had been whining at the restaurant where he was trying to enjoy and all meat buffet lunch, with drink bar, desert bar and meat?

Bah, I don't really know why I'm saying this here. Since I don't think many of you are likely to disagree with me.

Let us suppose Richard was justified in kicking the girl in the jaw.

Then. one wonders, why does the description of the incident include a rising thing and an explosion and a tied up superman and a bad little 8yo princess?

I'm so glad I've stayed out of the facebook argument. Trying to explain to Yeardites that mutilating children is wrong is like trying to explain higher math to monkeys (Mad Monkeys excluded). They just make a lot of noise and quickly start chucking feces at you. You'd have a better chance at explaining astrophysics to a room full of people with Down Syndrome. It's too damn frustrating to get into the "Violet" discussion, since I think the majority of the human race finds child mutilation instinctively abhorrent. If you have to explain to some cross-eyed shit-wit that it's wrong, then you've already lost and that person is quite possibly fucked beyond redemption. Besides, whatever their arguments are - madness, maybe. He was defending himself, could be. Protecting Kahlan, sure. What drove him over the edge was Violet sticking her tongue out at him. Then *WHAM* teeth and tongue go flying out of her mouth in a spray of blood (my hero). Makes me think that Ol' Dick got teased by the girls when he was a kid. An adult shouldn't react like that to a raspberry. Spiteful prick.

This will probably only be understood by a few gamers, but you know, for some reason, seeing Goodkind XX, my first thought was:

"HEAVEN OR HELL! LET'S ROCK!".

Then Richard in front of a mob of peace protestors destroying potemkin by putting melon-sized holes in him, the filthy communist.

F,D,DF+P ! Eat moral clarity!

I'm so glad I've stayed out of the facebook argument.

Actually, I think the Facebook thing may have died - or at least the Goodkind side seem to have stopped posting in that thread - and I have a sinking feeling that it was me who broke it. For some reason, 3000 word arguments have a tendancy to take away people enthusiasm for a debate. Note to self: soundbites are are fun.

Makes me think that Ol' Dick got teased by the girls when he was a kid. An adult shouldn't react like that to a raspberry. Spiteful prick.

But this can't be. We're clearly told that everybody, ever, liked Richard. Told, not shown. Right?

Also they tried to seduce him by screwing his brother. Seriously, explain that logic to me. I've understood trying to make someone jealous so that they acknowledge or make a move... but this doesn't fit at all.

What Goodkind and/or the fans seem to want is not justice, but just vengeance. Not even Hammurabi's "eye for an eye" justice, which, while not just by my definition, was at least a consistent, codified set of rules, but just arbitrary vengeance, often exceeding the crime in violence, conducted in whatever manner the author / characters feels like.

Other than destroying a lot of other things, this lack of codification and consistency in punishment also destroys one of the foundations of the criminal justice systems I'm aware of. Effective deterrence. There's a known punishment for a given crime, and also there's an apparent presence of people whose job it is to find criminals and make sure they are punished according to the law. And add in the idea of rehabilitation, which is definitely ignored...

And add in the idea of rehabilitation, which is definitely ignored...

Oh it is not. That's a bald faced lie. Nicci was rehabilited 100%, and the Mord Sith almost never torture people anymore. Almost, 71% of the time, absolutely no torture, and I think we can all agree that the clear line between good and evil is a 62% torture rate. Horrific muderers and people dedicated from infancy to causing pain absolutely must be forgiven. They are much further lost into evil, and therefore need far more forgiveness to get back out again. In fact, any form of punishment would almost be criminal. But children blowing rasberries...? Meh, I say no mercy.

I think the severity of the justice may be inversely related to the size of the boobs. Perhaps there is a system after all.

Well then it's simple. When Violet gets older she just has to hope that she... developes... vigorously. If so, she will be forgiven and someone will magically restore her tongue and teeth and the whole silly incident can be forgotten.

If Violet turns out to be stacked, you can bet Richard will discover some potent healing magic. Perhaps he could kick her jaw back together.

Though to be fair, the Mord-Sith got redeemed so that Terry could have a bunch of hot dominatrixes around, and Nicci got redeemed so that Terry could show that Richard is so awesome that he can redeem people merely by being nice to them.

Can we think of any women in the series who do not fall into one of the following categories?

- Hot

- Really Old

- Especially Ugly

- Prepubescent

See, it's ok for someone who is physically 80 (chronologically lots more) to be not hot. It's ok for someone to be truly hideous. But all other mature women are hot.

See, it's ok for someone who is physically 80 (chronologically lots more) to be not hot. It's ok for someone to be truly hideous. But all other mature women are hot.

But wasn't even old, ugly Addie gettin' tapped by old, ugly Zedd...?

Archived