New York 18th July, Chicago 24th July

Next time, we'll find a bar that doesn't require shouting.

Is there such a thing in NYC? I haven't found one yet. That's why I like the English pubs so much better.

I had a great time meeting everyone the other night. It's something the NYC BWB should do more often.

Here's a quick report leaving out the lewd details for Quoth to fill in later.

The Old Bear and I arrived at Blind Tiger and X-Ray, Mr. X, Naz, Quoth, and Sophelia were already there. Incidentally, Blind Tiger is the same bar where I met Needle and Pod when they stayed in NYC after the KC con. Well, same name and owner but in a new location as it was priced out of the old location. (Replaced by a Ralph Lauren store or some crap. Don't get me started on how corporate chain stores are ruining NYC) Naz's wife came shortly thereafter and then some of the X's friends (who read the books but do not come onto the boards) and then TC and a friend. The X's friends delivered a nice helmet (Gregor's?) to X-Ray. (X-Ray had heard that during previous NYC BWB get-togethers a member brought a weapon and wanted to be well armoured just in case). Rather than nerding out a fantasy series meeting even moreso, the helmet became quite the attraction as random patrons wanted to look, hold, and/or wear it.

As others have stated it was noisy in there and difficult to hear or talk without shouting. Blind Tiger is a beer bar with lots of choice beers that have fairly high alcohol content. It sneaks up on you. So I was pretty well and drunk that night. Which only added to my good time.

Incidentally, Blind Tiger is the same bar where I met Needle and Pod when they stayed in NYC after the KC con. Well, same name and owner but in a new location as it was priced out of the old location. (Replaced by a Ralph Lauren store or some crap. Don't get me started on how corporate chain stores are ruining NYC)

***Appropriate booing and hissing***

The old place was a nice joint. Scene of much debate. :)

OK, well I'm just making an executive decision about the Chicago meet on Tuesday 24th July:

7pm onwards at Rock Bottom, on the corner of Grand Avenue and State Street (Red line subway stop: Grand). Does food and drink, seems flexible enough and informal enough for BwB meet. Everyone welcome - let's just get together and see what happens. I'll wear my night's watch t-shirt again - my pic is in the Rogue's Gallery if you want to check you'll recognise me.

(This was actually Whiskeyjack's suggestion *mollifies WJ* See - good choice for a BwB meet ;) )

(X-Ray had heard that during previous NYC BWB get-togethers a member brought a weapon and wanted to be well armoured just in case).

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

*hiccups*

Man, that was a good laugh. How you been, Plunja? Long time, man. Hope you're well. :)

OK, well I'm just making an executive decision about the Chicago meet on Tuesday 24th July:

7pm onwards at Rock Bottom, on the corner of Grand Avenue and State Street (Red line subway stop: Grand). Does food and drink, seems flexible enough and informal enough for BwB meet. Everyone welcome - let's just get together and see what happens. I'll wear my night's watch t-shirt again - my pic is in the Rogue's Gallery if you want to check you'll recognise me.

(This was actually Whiskeyjack's suggestion *mollifies WJ* See - good choice for a BwB meet ;) )

*ARRRRGGHHHH!!*

Now I KNOW my status is up in the air. Going downtown in the evenings is rough when you have a 5:30am chift the next morning AND your in-laws are showing up at your home sometime that same afternoon.

I don't think I'm gonna make it. Again. :cry: :mad:

Sophelia left here about 45 minutes or so ago. It was great to finally meet someone from the BwB. Sadly, I only had about 20 minutes or so to chat before I had to go to a meeting, but since I had her coming in tomorrow, it was a nice suprise to get to see her.

Sophelia left here about 45 minutes or so ago. It was great to finally meet someone from the BwB. Sadly, I only had about 20 minutes or so to chat before I had to go to a meeting, but since I had her coming in tomorrow, it was a nice suprise to get to see her.

I can confirm that Jaxom does, indeed, exist, and is very nice. Was wonderful to meet him after all this time.

:) @ Jaxom.

*goes back to ignoring him*

Right, so I'll be in Rock Bottom in about an hour to meet anyone else who is around in Chicago and would like to meet for food/drink tonight. I'll wear my black Nightwatch t-shirt, and I'll be reading Perdido Street Station if nobody is there when I arrive.

Just got back from Rock Bottom where Harrenys, me and Whiskeyjack spent several hours chatting. *sigh* I am sad I am leaving Chicago tomorrow - have had such a good time here. And I still didn't manage to do the pizza test... which means New York pizza rates highest on the pizza scale at the moment (though the Greek feta pizza Harrenys was eating tasted nice).

Soph - your name definitely came up at the SF gathering on Friday. We really wish the Bay Area had been on your itinerary. Chicago does sound like it was a fun time.

I will also do my best to ignore Jaxom out of a sense of solidarity.

Here are my photos from the meet-up in New York on this webpage. There are some landscape pictures here from the three main cities I visited.

Nice photos!

When this one "Manhattan from the Staten Island ferry" was taken, to your left and behind about 4 or 5 miles is the Bayonne home where GRRM grew up. The Staten Island ferry terminal is about 2-1/2 mile from his former home.

Archived