Scenes that made your eyes burn

The Wolf Maid

I no longer have a copy of it, but when I was a teenager I started reading "The Godfather" which I assumed would be a great classic like the movie (I was already a huge movie buff by that age). Well, I got to the scene very early on where Sonny is screwing one of his sister's Bridesmaids, banging her against a door and I remember the description of the moment was something along the lines of, "fireballs of lust thrusting from his loins." At that point I realized the book was total trash, put it down and have never tried to read it since.

I no longer have a copy of it, but when I was a teenager I started reading "The Godfather" which I assumed would be a great classic like the movie (I was already a huge movie buff by that age). Well, I got to the scene very early on where Sonny is screwing one of his sister's Bridesmaids, banging her against a door and I remember the description of the moment was something along the lines of, "fireballs of lust thrusting from his loins." At that point I realized the book was total trash, put it down and have never tried to read it since.

Arggg, I don´t know what you are thinking. I can´t remember that particular sentence because i read the books in danish. But it is a great book. Much better than the films, I would say, evn though I fell asleep during the films, and have never finished any of them.

But give the book another try. It is a all time classic. How could you think otherwise.

But again you can´t judge the book until you have read it all, and i can´t judge the movies until having seen it all. It just seemed wrong to see the story on film, after reading the book so many times.

I hate to break up the gross out with a serious question, but I am kind of curious as to what is important in judging scenes of horror? Is it just the content or does quality of writing also play a part?

I only ask because, while just about everything posted here is... well... revolting, some of the writing is actually quite wonderful. Indeed, I will go a step further and declare that a well written scene is generally more disturbing than a poorly written one, since the imagery is usually much stronger. Take Wolf Maid's first offering for example, it does roil the stomach slightly, but if you can get past the meaning the images are actually quite clever and parts of it actually made me smile. Also Guts (and I'm going to admit now that I'm a big Palahniuk fan so I'm bias), it is possibly one of the most disturbing things I've ever read (and I own a copy of the book) but it is also funny and... kind of insightful, I think.

Am I just more disturbed than most people?

Also Guts (and I'm going to admit now that I'm a big Palahniuk fan so I'm bias), it is possibly one of the most disturbing things I've ever read (and I own a copy of the book) but it is also funny and... kind of insightful, I think.

I agree with you. It is pretty compelling, and if his goal was to have me thinking about that story for the rest of the day then he did his job. It was well written which made it difficult to stop reading even though it was one of the most disturbing things I've ever read. I still wish I hadnt read it though, I'd like to eat later on today.

I agree with Will to some extent that well-written disgusting scenes are more powerful than poorly-written ones, but I hardly think that Wolf Maid's first offering was 'well-written'. It was mostly correct technical-wise but the author clearly hasn't figured out that 'less-is-more' when it comes to dialect and the word choice left much to be desired ('corrugation' instead of 'fold' or... anything else?). And I didn't even bother looking over that 'guts' story. I'm not the brightest monkey in the jungle but I'm not stupid.

I mostly look at the content when judging if a scene is horrible. That first example I put up actually had good reviews from the critics (the author is the one who wrote Trainspotting). Good prose or not, it's still an icky scene. The idea of using phlegm as lubricant is enough to distract me from the prose and get me focused on the whole phlegm thing.

Archived