Roberts Newcomb and Stanek

Myshkin

I wish I could have the honor of being publicly named as an enemy of Robert Stanek. I have had the honor of arguing with him on the amazon message boards, and he did manage to get me banned from the amazon "community", but to be named personally on the man's very own blog; now that is a goal worth striving for.

Question: so the photo with Brian Jacques, photoshopped or do folks now think it was actually legit?

It may actually be a real picture, but photo shopped to look like Stanek was part of the signing event rather than just someone who showed up at the bookstore. Stanek originally claimed that he was on tour with Jacques, but that was very easy to disprove. He now claims that Jacques and other well known authors (Brooks and Salvatore I believe) made sure that their signing tours came through his hometown in order to honor him. For some reason, I'm not sure I believe him.

Hey!

There is a new addendum to Stanek's latest blog post, and he mentions Wert and I by name! Now we know we've made it! :cheers:

Oh, and he goes on to say that guys like us would likely get shanked in prison. . . Well, if we were in jail, Stanek would be my bitch. So he would take that knife for me!!! :P

I haven't paid any attention to this thread and I see now how wrong I was.

I think congratulations are in order! :cheers:

I haven't paid any attention to this thread and I see now how wrong I was.

I think congratulations are in order! :cheers:

I think a not-so-clever gag gift is in order:

how about some special Stanek-designed boxers or thongs?

http://www.cafepress.com/ruinmistgear/149259

however- I would advise against giving anyone a real address if you want one of us to buy these for you ...

Stanek might show up at your doorsetp instead ...

I think Wert should send Stanek an email from some dodgy hotmail 'lawyers' claiming defamation for suggesting that Wert's been bitching about him on his blog when he clearly hasn't.

And since he's reading this thread, hello Mr Stanek, don't you have a shred of shame? >_>

So. The holiday's are almost here, and I want to give something back to these awesome forums. Actually, in truth, I just want to laugh a lot. The two goals can come together quite nicely, though. If I was going to buy a Stanek book on amazon, read it, and post a fairly detailed summary - perhaps involving quotes - on here, what book would it be? (keep in mind: the prices of his books vary considerably on amazon. Some are a cent, some are twenty or thirty bucks. As humorous as this will be, I'm not spending that kind of money on it.)

I'd prefer it if that was done elsewhere, if it had to be done anywhere. While I find Stanek a ridiculous person worthy of ridicule, turning this place into the designated base for mocking him seems a bit much when we've already earned that sobriquet, re: Goodkind.

Yeah, Stanek launched a full blown multi-alt attack on SFFWorld a few years ago, the sheer stupidity of which I think they're still recovering from. He fired a warning shot across their bows last week (random 'new' poster: "I've heard about this AMAZING author called Robert Stanek, what do you guys think?") as well. I think Westeros.org definitely wants to avoid any of that kind of attention, cheers.

Nice to see Pat waving a red flag to the bull though. I think his tolerance for this kind of crap is way higher than mine these days ;)

Yeah, Stanek launched a full blown multi-alt attack on SFFWorld a few years ago, the sheer stupidity of which I think they're still recovering from. He fired a warning shot across their bows last week (random 'new' poster: "I've heard about this AMAZING author called Robert Stanek, what do you guys think?") as well. I think Westeros.org definitely wants to avoid any of that kind of attention, cheers.

Nice to see Pat waving a red flag to the bull though. I think his tolerance for this kind of crap is way higher than mine these days ;)

Dubious legal threats (this time from a Gmail using lawyer) appear to be enough to stop this discussion at SFFWorld:

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=552263

I wonder if this board has received similar emails?

In some respects, you got to admire the sheer audacity of this guy -- he started off in 2002 trying to promote his books by inserting mention of them in many Amazon reviews of well known, widely read books (and sometimes bashing the book in order to do so). Then the whole episode of trying to censor David Langord via the hotmail lawyer, another altercation with the writer Stephen Leigh, that photo he slightly retouched of himself with Jacques which got turned against him in a big way, his failed war on Wikipedia, and finally being widely suspected of the wave of bad reviews / discussions on Rothfuss (with a little sprinkle of hate towards Jim Hines, David Edelman and several self published authors).

You think he would have given up these shenanigans by now. Especially considering he probably does quite well with all those tech books he writes under his real name William R. Stanek.

Why should Westeros allow itself to be bullied by Stanek and his fake lawyers? I saw that SFFWorld closed down the recent thread about Stanek and that struck me as an incredibly cowardly move.

No legal threats, promise. But I tend to be the sort who prefers to avoid getting into that situation. That said, it's more along the lines of not wanting to go too far into being a gathering place where people might decide to go trolling in fun and so on. We're not keen on that.

Why should Westeros allow itself to be bullied by Stanek and his fake lawyers? I saw that SFFWorld closed down the recent thread about Stanek and that struck me as an incredibly cowardly move.

Hear, hear its not like Stanek can actually carry out his bullshit.

Lupigis I mean he can't be tricking that many people can he?

i know that but i mean for making graphic novels and clothes.

I think he writes product manuals for Microsoft? He probably gets decent money from that.

Also if he's really a veteran (and there's no reason to say he isn't other than that he's a proven liar and anything he says should be taken with a heap of salt) then he gets a bunch of free insurance, which no doubt cuts down on his expenses.

What I find most hilarious is that he markets his books to children and claims most of his readers are children. And then he makes collectable tie-in thongs. Charming.

i know that but i mean for making graphic novels and clothes.

Those clothing, mugs and stuff are made and sold through CafePress, which is a print-on-demand sort of company. They have a select amount of items and then you can upload your graphics for them to print it on the item. And they take a big cut out of the sale, so I doubt Stanek is making any money off of this. Also, besides himself, I doubt anyone else has bought any of his Ruinmist thongs. Nor does he expect it. The whole point is to further this facade that he is a bestselling fiction author, with some merchandise to “prove” it.

Also, as much as I like to imagine Stanek’s house full of boxes of unsold novels, he most likely has a print-on-demand deal with some printer for his self published "Reagent Press" books. This might explain the high costs of his books (many that are quite slim in length) on Amazon.

Except for the Sparhawk guy, who appears to be a real (but rather unhinged) person from Bulgaria, all the others postings were written by Stanek.

Wait.

Sparhawk?

Is that our Sparhawk?

Archived