Roberts Newcomb and Stanek

Myshkin

Well, I'm not sure that the publisher didn't know that Goodkind would sell well until he was published. That means that someone looked at Wizard's First Rule and thought that it would have a large enough market to be worth publishing.

/shrug

Crap has a long history of profitability.

True. :D

But then, makes you think what the publishers are really looking for in a book.

Boobs, dislocated jaws and namble cocks, obviously.

*IDEA*

(starts redrafting book)

Boobs, dislocated jaws and namble cocks, obviously.

*IDEA*

(starts redrafting book)

Almost. Here's what they're really looking for:

Big boobs, shattered jaws and barbed namble cocks.

Well, I'm not sure that the publisher didn't know that Goodkind would sell well until he was published. That means that someone looked at Wizard's First Rule and thought that it would have a large enough market to be worth publishing.

Exactly. But also, think of the timing. WFR was what? Roughly about the same time as Jordan's third or fouth WoT book? TG's publishers were riding a wave. I wholly suspect they saw it was craptacular, but also saw a variation on something that was already gangbusters in the industry and they probably figured to ride it out for a couple books at the worst, make a ton of money for years at best.

What's that insane forward amount that's always thrown about when there's a TG "is the greatest of all time" argument? Some sort of near record. Even if true, it wasn't about the quality, it was about the timing. It never was about the quality and once it started making money, it never could be about the quality.

More Stan eck Amazon fun!

In the Service of Dragons is written especially for young adults. Readers all over the world are discovering the works of Robert Stanek. Fans have called his books the "Star Wars" of fantasy, and liken his writing to a wonderful cross between JRR Tolkien and JK Rowling. We tend to think that the books are just plain fun to read. Filled with mystery, intrigue, adventure, and magic the books transport readers to a world unlike any other.

Who tends anymore anyway?

Take a look at all the reviews written by the M. Hinzo.

-5 Stanek books

-3 books reccomended by Stanek ("Hundreds of devoted fans like me look to Robert's recommendations to find great new authors ...")

-Arianna Kelt And the Wizards of Skyhall (No mention of Stanek in the review, but if it's from the same publisher, ie same publicist)

-The Hobbit

-The Simarillion

-Lord of the Rings

-Harry Potter 6

-2 Berenstein Bears books

-A children's book (short, no praise, no connection to Stanek)

-Gregor and the Marks of Secret (an actual non-Stanek review)

-Assorted CDs, DVDs, and games

Completetly impartial and unconnected to Stanny, right? :rolleyes:

What's that insane forward amount that's always thrown about when there's a TG "is the greatest of all time" argument? Some sort of near record. Even if true, it wasn't about the quality, it was about the timing. It never was about the quality and once it started making money, it never could be about the quality.

I think it's like $10 million. Strangely enough, Robert Newcomb claims the exact same thing.

Don't know if you guys are aware of this, but both Goodkind and Newcomb hold the records for the biggest advances paid for a fantasy debut in the history of the genre. Terry Goodkind received 250,000$ from Tor Books for his first two books, while Newcomb received 300,000$ from Del Rey in a 3-book deal.

Food for thought. . . :)

Patrick

Don't know if you guys are aware of this, but both Goodkind and Newcomb hold the records for the biggest advances paid for a fantasy debut in the history of the genre. Terry Goodkind received 250,000$ from Tor Books for his first two books, while Newcomb received 300,000$ from Del Rey in a 3-book deal.

Frankly, Pat, I don't have an explanation for Newcomb, but I still believe that Goodkind's payment was a reaction to the success Jordan was enjoying in the early/mid 90's and people trying to find the next Jordan. Little did they know that they were getting quite the Jordan clone. But with moral celery!

This implies that if Goodkind was a poor Jordan imitation and Newcomb was a poor Goodkind imitation then the first person who writes a poor Newcomb imitation will get $350000 from some foolish published.

This implies that if Goodkind was a poor Jordan imitation and Newcomb was a poor Goodkind imitation then the first person who writes a poor Newcomb imitation will get $350000 from some foolish published.

I've got some old stuff that I wrote in 7th grade. Perhaps I should cobble it together and sell it to Tor. It's at least as good as Newcomb, and light years ahead of Stanek.

That's almost enough to break the first attempt at writing my book from college and continue as if I haven't learned anything about writing, plotting, character development, cliche avoidance, etc in 12 years!

Nah.... The money would be gone and my chance at a writing career would be spent.

Food for thought. . . :)

Patrick

I heard about this. :) Still boggles the mind.

:idea:

I still have some really old stuff here. Maybe I could sell it...under a different name, of course. I just need to add more sex.

I still have some really old stuff here. Maybe I could sell it...under a different name, of course. I just need to add more sex.

Just plug it in a random, like what I did with my new soon-to-be bestselling fantasy hit novel, The Wizard of Truth and Revenge.

hi there was Once a boy named Billy who had a dog named Spike SPIKE WAS ONE GIGANTIC STUD OF A MAN HE TORE OUT SPINES FOR BREAKFAST AND THEN HE SAW THIS GIRL one day they Decided to go to the park HER BOOBS WERE LIKE THE SIZE OF CANTELOUPES they bought hotdogs and flew kites "MY NAME IS SEXINA! I WANT YOU!" THE GIRL SAID Spike kept barking at trees. the boy Walked OVer to the tree and saw something strange HE THRUST HIS MANLY MAN-SPORK INTO HER QUIVERING LOVE RUTABAGA it was a little nest of birdies stuck up in the tree the boy saw that their mommy birdie was gone so he decided to try and Rescue them THEY HAD SEVERAL ORGASMS IN A ROW AND ALSO AT THE SAME TIME SOMEHOW BECAUSE THE SEX WAS GREAT and then Billy fed the birdies and they didn't die. the End.

I wonder what I'm going to spend the money on...

I kind of feel bad for Newcomb and Stanek. Imagine having your claim to fame being an inferior copy of Terry Goodkind. I mean, that's just humiliating. If I were them, I'd kick my own ass.

That's true of Newcomb, but not S*anek. S*anek is more of a inferior copy of David Eddings, or maybe Terry Shannara. There is no sex in his books -- it's all very teen-lit oriented, except no teens would ever want to read that crap and it really can't be called literature. But that's why he's trying to get all the libraries in the country to buy his books.

Archived