Denver 2008

How soon should we look to book a room? Having never done this before, I want to make sure I get into the right hotel, and I also need to know the correct things (e.g. room location, room type, etc.) to ask the hotel.

Straight away when they open bookings for the hotel at the con rate. (There should be no deposit required, so one can always cancel if things change) There is a party hotel, which is the most convenient one to stay in. You can probably book a room in that hotel now (do hotels take reservations over a year in advance?) but the con rate will be a lot cheaper. I would expect them to start taking bookings sometime between Sept and Dec this year.

If you want a quieter hotel, there should be a few other options also.

If you do stay in the party hotel, you can stay in the "party floor" for conveniece. Its livelier at night but one should still be able to sleep.

The type of room is up to yourself. You can always get a big room because there is nearly always people looking to share. But that can be on the floor as on a bed.

We sometimes try to block book a few rooms by saying we're all in the BwB. But that doesn't work very well. Its never that hard to find us anyhow. :)

Ok, it's fucking miles away, but how many thinking of going over to the 2008 worldcon?

By the Seven Gods, if all these Bros turn up at Denvention, I think you'll take up an entire hotel room block!

Oh yeah, we're gonna have a good time.

(PS, I have a good idea on where George will want to go for the Bros dinner)

If you do stay in the party hotel, you can stay in the "party floor" for conveniece. Its livelier at night but one should still be able to sleep.

Um........that may be a little optimistic Pod:p

By the Seven Gods, if all these Bros turn up at Denvention, I think you'll take up an entire hotel room block!

Oh yeah, we're gonna have a good time.

(PS, I have a good idea on where George will want to go for the Bros dinner)

My guess is that we'll have as a big a crowd as we had in Anaheim. The number and scale of BwB events will be scaled down, owing to the smaller number of in-state Bros. But we'll still rock the party, I guarantee THAT.

Um........that may be a little optimistic Pod:p

Bah. :lol:

Let me restate. If there comes a time during the con when somebody wants to sleep, it should be possible, even if they are staying on the party floor.

Of course, they may have to kick everybody out of their room first. :P

My guess is that we'll have as a big a crowd as we had in Anaheim.

It does sound like the numbers will be rather insane again. Heh. :P

So, what you guys are saying is I should spend at least one night downtown during the conference even hough I live 20 minutes away? :cheers:

/starts plotting how to convince his wife to take care of the kids while I go partying...

How soon should we look to book a room? Having never done this before, I want to make sure I get into the right hotel, and I also need to know the correct things (e.g. room location, room type, etc.) to ask the hotel.

Denvention 3 will be offering reservations for their room blocks several months before the convention, but no earlier than Jan 2008 if they follow the usual schedule. Only by booking through the convention's hotel registration process will you get the convention's room rates. This WorldCon is going to have to spread out over several hotels, where we have blocks of 200-400 rooms per hotel, rather than occupying most of two or three hotels. These hotel room blocks are vital for the convention to fill, since most of the contracts with the hotels require X amount of room nights to get the best prices on using function space.

Usually, the convention will announce that the reservation process will open on a certain date, and will have all reservation information on their web site as well as by a Progress Report mailed to members.

I strongly suggest you get your membership now. You'll save some money, and if at the last moment you find you can't attend, you can transfer your membership to some one who can attend. You'll get all the PR reports and will be able to nominate/vote for the Hugos. Membership rates will increase as the con date approaches, and the biggest hit comes if you walk in and buy your membership at the door. You'll probably save at least $50, if not more, by buying your membership now.

Because of the limited amount of rooms available at the WorldCon rates in various hotels, the most desirable hotels will be booked out very quickly. So I urge people to study the information on the hotels long before reservations are open, so you know which convention hotel you want to stay in, and choose a back up hotel in case your first choice is already full.

Here's a link to the current Denvention information page on facilities: http://www.denver2008.com/facilities.php

You don't have to stay at a hotel that has a contract with the WorldCon. You will most likely get the best rate available thru the convention, but if you have a lot of 'frequent sleeper' points at a specific chain, you might find a better rate, or get an upgrade thru that program. Some folks might want to consider an 'all suite' hotel so that they have a mini kitchen and a little more room if they're bringing the kids. Be aware, however, that it might be difficult to host a party or even have a small group of friends come over to your room late night at a non-con hotel. But if you aren't planning on hosting the Bros late night events in your room, using a non-con hotel might be the answer for you.

I haven't checked it out personally, but people I know on the concom have said that there is decent public transport around the convention center. So check out some of the non-con hotels that you are interested in and see if there's bus or light rail nearby that will get you to the convention easily.

Hope this helps, don't hesistate to ask followup questions if needed.

My guess is that we'll have as a big a crowd as we had in Anaheim. The number and scale of BwB events will be scaled down, owing to the smaller number of in-state Bros. But we'll still rock the party, I guarantee THAT.

how are you scaling down a bit? Suites for parties are going to booked out faster than the sleeping rooms. Whoever is going to be the point person on Bros at Denvention should start preparing soon and contact the convention about how to request suites for specific nights.

It's a bit early to be planning the Bros dinner, but I'm pretty sure I know which resturants George would prefer, and it might be a good idea to limit attendees by choosing a fixed amount of dinner guests. Both of the restaurants I think he'd like can probably handle a group of 25-30 people from what I remember of their function spaces.

Since we're just 400 miles down the road, we'll be driving up to the con. I intend to bring some excellent New Mexican salsas and other goodies from the Land of Enchantment to bring up to the parties.

Since we're just 400 miles down the road, we'll be driving up to the con. I intend to bring some excellent New Mexican salsas and other goodies from the Land of Enchantment to bring up to the parties.

Only in America can 400 miles be described as "just down the road" :P

Rural Australians go that far for the nearest indoor toilet....

Parris - I don't know the big plan (all I can say for sure is that I'll be pitching in but not leading in any way), but I am betting it doesn't involve a three-bar, highly decorated suite transformation extravaganza. We generally don't start seriously planning the next WorldCon party until the previous one is finished - not that we'll have more than a token presence in Japan.

Just looking at that website, the party hotel is a bit closer to the convention than I remember been told. 3.5 blocks is a lot better than 10. :P

:lol: I was trying to think where we arranged the meal in LA but then I realised that we didn't have any. Just too many people and we had so much else going on.

The website does indeed say that "Detailed hotel information will be available in early 2008." So can't book till then. :)

Apparently due to some minor event later that month, the convention has sold the denver2008.com domain to some local newspaper. The correct domain is now: http://denvention3.org.

are you sure Iceman, about the url change, because I just went thru my own bookmarks and the denvention.com worked just fine, as did your '.org' url.

And yes, in the American West, 400 miles isn't a big deal. I just get on I-25 and head north at 75mph. With Springsteen on the iPod.

But going from Washingron DC to Boston - about the same distance - would probably take more than 8-10 hours considering the horrific traffic all up and down the east coast. Haven't done a north-south drive on the east coast in 20 years, and it was a nightmare I still remember. That's why we use Amtrak when traveling on the east coast whenever possible.

Archived