Sworn Sword #1 from Marvel released!

benavery

I hope I'm not double posting or posting in the wrong forum. I looked around to make sure everything was kosher, but if I'm doing this in the wrong place or at the wrong time . . . I apologize.

I just wanted to drop a note that Sworn Sword #1 (officially enititled George R.R. Martin's The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword #1 . . . um, yeah, it COULD be more convoluted, but they'd have to work at it to make it so) hit comic shops yesterday. many comic shops were able to take part in a promotion called "Westeros Wednesday" which got them some posters, some Dabel Brothers letter openers, and some promotional postcards. The posters are of this image:

http://www.newsarama.com/DBPro/SwornSword/SwordLeinil.html

I love it.

Anyway, there's also an interview with me about Sworn Sword on Newsarama.com, which can be found here:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=117611

The interview is exclusively about Sworn Sword. They never did ask me about any of my other projects. Of course, none of my other projects are as big as this . . . and none of my other projects look as beautiful.

Thanks for your time. I hope you enjoy Sworn Sword as much as I did.

~ Ben

Yeah, I have only one complaint. But it's a big one. Very huge.

I have to wait for the next issue!

Damn you!

Thanks for the kind words.

Tell me about the wait . . . I've been waiting for this sequel project to get off the ground for years!

Of course, all the publishing arrangements worked out for the good . . . far better than I ever anticipated.

~ Ben

I picked it up last week and it was very good. The art conflicts with the tone a little, but not so much that it is cartoons spilling cartoon blood. I enjoyed the story and particularly Dunk's attempts to live up to his own ideals.

I only read the short story version of Hedge Knight in the Legends anthology, so I am delighted to get a chance to read this part of the story in graphic novel form.

What's the deal with the Yu variant. Is it that much rarer? Couldn't find it at any of the local comic shops and i've had a hard time finding it online too.

I'm not sure exactly how the Yu variant works. It's some sort of dealer incentive thing, where if they order a certain number they can get copies of hte variant.

~ Ben

I have a special place in my heart for The Hedge Knight comics, it was what got me into ASOIAF and comics in general, so when I picked up The Sworn Sword my hopes were high, and I was not disappointed. Thank you for the fine comic, sir

what is up with the covers? I went to the online store, and saw the two art works, and was highly disappointed. Maybe they could have put some of the actual "The Sworn Sword" story into the cover. When did Dunk use a lance? There was little about the dragons even mentioned in the story. How about a Dunk with sun streaked hair in a green and white checkered cloak? The art is nice, buy completely misleading.

Dunk doesn't wear said cloak into later in the story, so that would be kind of stupid to have on the cover for the first issue.

As to Lenil's cover, it's a variant cover, and these are generally always going to be freer interpretations by guest artists.

what is up with the covers? I went to the online store, and saw the two art works, and was highly disappointed. Maybe they could have put some of the actual "The Sworn Sword" story into the cover. When did Dunk use a lance? There was little about the dragons even mentioned in the story. How about a Dunk with sun streaked hair in a green and white checkered cloak? The art is nice, buy completely misleading.

The covers are meant to convey emotional meaning, not specific situations. The Yu cover . . . well, that's just pretty.

As for Mike's cover, if you haven't read Sworn Sword in its novella form yet, I don't want to ruin it for you, but it represents an emotional state for Dunk. Years ago, there was a battle between people under a black dragon's banner and people under a red dragon's banner. As a result, Dunk finds himself in a tight spot. It drives the whole plot forward, and nearly the entirety of The Sworn Sword occurs as a result of that conflict. That's what the cover is intended to represent.

I hope you enjoyed the story regardless of what was on the covers!

~ Ben Avery

I'm seeing that the Dabels are accepting online orders. Does anyone know if they are sending them overseas? That'd be absolutely great!

I ordered mine for delivey to the UK and the order went through ok. $6.75 shipping, so probably not the fastest option - they gave an estimated delivery time of 5-6 days which seems optimistic IMO and is probably the US delivery time.

I ordered mine for delivey to the UK and the order went through ok. $6.75 shipping, so probably not the fastest option - they gave an estimated delivery time of 5-6 days which seems optimistic IMO and is probably the US delivery time.

Cool. Will do that then. :)

Because of the shipping costs I would like to order it through Amazon (I'll order some other books rightaway). But so far no luck. If in a couple of weeks Amazon still does not have it in the inventory I'll order through Dabels too

Amazon never carriers individual issues of comics. If you want to buy it collected as one graphic novel, they'll certainly carry that, but it'll be about half a year or more before it's collected.

Archived