Comic Books

Red Templar

I love Emma! She's not in my top 5 Marvel characters, but certainly in my top 10 :laugh:

And, honestly, she's the only good decision he made in his personal life (yeah, I hate Jean Grey. Blame it on the 90's animated series). I think it would be interesting to have her around when Xavier's first class appears on the present; if not for the drama, at least for the sarcasm :devil:

I loved when Morrison wrote her:

"What makes you such a bitch Emma?"

"Breeding, darling. Top class breeding."

Unless the latest cover image is a red herring, it's looking like Emma and Cyclops will be fine. Guess this is bad news for Xavier "dying" again at the end of a big mutant event. Bets on him coming back and being able to walk when he comes back? And then ends up paralysed again ;) If I wrote for Marvel I'd fight to introduce a meta mutant who's power was to be able repeat events in time over and over again - trying something different but always ending up back where they started.

I read the first American Vampire trade at the weekend. I was pretty impressed, Does anyone know if the series gets better as it goes along? I like the premise of each arc following a different period in american history.

I've also been wanting to continue Scalped but, as was the case a year ago, the 2nd volume is impossible to get hold of. You'd think they'd have re-issued it as all the other volumes seem to be in abundant supply.

Unless the latest cover image is a red herring, it's looking like Emma and Cyclops will be fine. Guess this is bad news for Xavier "dying" again at the end of a big mutant event. Bets on him coming back and being able to walk when he comes back? And then ends up paralysed again ;) If I wrote for Marvel I'd fight to introduce a meta mutant who's power was to be able repeat events in time over and over again - trying something different but always ending up back where they started.

I'm actually more interested in what that cover image suggests than I would be with Emma or Cyclops' death. A Brotherhood team featuring Cyclops, Emma, Illiana and Magneto: Yes please!

As for Xavier dying, I really hope Marvel doesn't go down that path. It seems like almost every major Marvel event since the 90's has served to make Xavier less and less relevant to the Marvel Universe starting with Onslaught. I guess death would be the ultimate state of irrelevancy, but still it fells like we've trudged that ground (or at least flirted with it) for over two decades.

Oh, and just to get it out there before AvX wraps up (which I've not been following so for all I know could already been ruled out):

I don't think Hope is related to Jean Grey, I think she's a manifestation and/or somehow connected to the Scarlet Witches' proclamation of 'no more mutants'. I remember when M-Day occurred that there was a big ball of something that left the Earth's atmosphere which they suggested was 'mutant energy'. I don't think they ever followed up on that directly, but a couple events later we get Hope and then later still it's revealed she's an Omega level mutant with the ability to mimic the abilities of others/kick-start the abilities of newly emerging mutants.

I doubt this is an original idea (I may have even stolen it from someone here), but it's been in the back of my mind so long that I don't really recall where I heard it. Not trying to claim it as my own, just officially putting my money on that theory :P

I read the first American Vampire trade at the weekend. I was pretty impressed, Does anyone know if the series gets better as it goes along? I like the premise of each arc following a different period in american history.

I've also been wanting to continue Scalped but, as was the case a year ago, the 2nd volume is impossible to get hold of. You'd think they'd have re-issued it as all the other volumes seem to be in abundant supply.

The second trade is excellent as well. I can't speak from personal experience about anything past that, but I've heard only good things about the third volume and the spin-off mini-series that seem to be out there.

I'm not a big fan of the current vampire craze, and sort of wrote off American Vampire at first. So glad I was able to pick up the first volume from the library to check it out as otherwise it would have passed under my radar. I think it might be my favourite current ongoing Vertigo title at the moment.

That would be an interesting power. But to apply on others, you mean? Or more like looking at all the different realities created by people's choices?

Anyway, I saw that cover, what a disappointment. Xavier seems to survive, since he appeared on a teaser of Wolverine and the X-Men post-AvsX, I think. I guess that only leaves Hope as the potential major death. A Phoenix hostess dying, how unpredictable. Probably a sacrifice, I'd guess?

I'm more angry that they're keeping Magik around, to be perfectly honest. What an annoying character! I wish she just staying in limbo or something, or at least became irrelevant once again.

Oh, and just to get it out there before AvX wraps up (which I've not been following so for all I know could already been ruled out):

I don't think Hope is related to Jean Grey, I think she's a manifestation and/or somehow connected to the Scarlet Witches' proclamation of 'no more mutants'. I remember when M-Day occurred that there was a big ball of something that left the Earth's atmosphere which they suggested was 'mutant energy'. I don't think they ever followed up on that directly, but a couple events later we get Hope and then later still it's revealed she's an Omega level mutant with the ability to mimic the abilities of others/kick-start the abilities of newly emerging mutants.

I doubt this is an original idea (I may have even stolen it from someone here), but it's been in the back of my mind so long that I don't really recall where I heard it. Not trying to claim it as my own, just officially putting my money on that theory :P

I think it's been pretty much confirmed that she isn't related to Jean - I'm not sure if it was on Uncanny X-Men or X-Men Legacy, but it was right after Second Coming. Rogue and a few others take Hope to the city where she was born, and there she meets her grandmother who talks about her parents (or her mother, at least). But yes, her origins are still too mysterious... I like this theory, I would subscribe to that as well. The funny thing is, Marvel has already lost the opportunity of connecting a character to the Scarlet Witch and that energy. Remember how Layla Miller was supposed to be a manifestation of Wanda's powers, but was later revealed to be just a regular mutant girl? Or maybe their original intention was to keep that origin for her, but they later came up with Hope and thought that would be a better solution? :dunno:

I think it's been pretty much confirmed that she isn't related to Jean - I'm not sure if it was on Uncanny X-Men or X-Men Legacy, but it was right after Second Coming. Rogue and a few others take Hope to the city where she was born, and there she meets her grandmother who talks about her parents (or her mother, at least). But yes, her origins are still too mysterious... I like this theory, I would subscribe to that as well. The funny thing is, Marvel has already lost the opportunity of connecting a character to the Scarlet Witch and that energy. Remember how Layla Miller was supposed to be a manifestation of Wanda's powers, but was later revealed to be just a regular mutant girl? Or maybe their original intention was to keep that origin for her, but they later came up with Hope and thought that would be a better solution? :dunno:

I actually did read that issue of X-Men. I didn't really take it at face value however, just thought it was a red herring of a sort.

Layla was introduced during House of M, whereas the ball of mutant energy was released after Wanda's declaration. I think if this theory is true it was always meant to be Hope; The screwing up of Layla rests solely in the hands of Peter David over in X-Factor.

I like the idea that "our" Cyclops and co are the new brotherhood of evil mutants. Especially with the younger Cyclops fighting against him. I don't think they need necessarily be evil but more aggressive in defending mutants which is basically what Cyclops' uncanny team was over the last year.

I also like the Hope idea. i'd forgotten about that flame at the end of "house of M" - what if this isn't even really the phoenix force but some weird manifestation of that mutant energy via Hope?

I'll shop around for a good price on the second volume of "american vampire". I'm a sucker (unintentional pun bit i'll let it stick) for vampire stories moreso the ones that play around with the idea in interesting ways. I'm also easy prey for american history too. I found it interesting how Snyder felt a comic was the only way to do the story having tried to make a film for it. I'd say the concept would lend itself very well to a TV show - especially one looking to merge genres along the lines of True blood meets Boardwalk empire.

My 9 year old is certain Hope is somehow related to or part of, Jean. Or Jean is trying to take over her. I dunno. He's 9.

The original idea was that Hope was Jean reincarnated. I have no idea what nonsensical garbage they are peddling now.

No matter what Marvel claim, they've never had a roadmap of events from "house of M" until now. A lot of the time it's hard to notice but in some cases it's pretty blatant. I'd argue for one that relaunching the X-men comics and doing the "schism" event was possibly their shortest revamp yet. Did they really know they were doing the AvX just 9 months later? I suspect AvX and the massive rebranding is solely in response to DC kicking their ass for a 2 months with the new 52 event last year. At least MArvel haven't gone for a full on reboot (although neither did DC with some of their titles - which is the confusing part)

I dunno; if they haven't had a roadmap they've done an excellent job of keeping things consistent throughout the titles.

let's see. We started with House of M and the aftermath of No More Mutants. That led into Utopia, Dark Avengers/XMen, Summers becoming more hardcore and then...let's go with it. We got Messiah Complex (one of the better events ever), Necrosha (not so great, but had its moments), Second Coming (a strong crossover), the 5 lights, Magneto's return, Scott's use of XForce to signal how hard core he was and how he was willing to let the ends justify the means. All of this has continued to progress more and more towards the AvX deal. The schism wasn't hard to find either (though the event and the split was kind of shit to be honest). But cyclops' motivations, goals, way of doing things - have gotten more extreme. Similarly to Wolverine, who was willing to fight for what he could but was always doing it so the others didn't have to; when Scott pushed that, it made sense that he'd lose it.

Then we have XForce being brilliant too (the new version), with seeing how this darkness does cause all this harm to them, how the choices are eating them up - and all with a nod to what Scott's choices must have been.

I think they've done a pretty good job of going from A to B with big events.

Archived