Ok, where are the Texans!

[url="http://www.texrenfest.com/"][quote]Texas Ren Fest[/quote][/url]

Being a Brit and not overly familiar with Ren Fests, I read that as Ran Fest, and had an image of lots of Texans dressed up as Ran, with fake tashes to look like Ran Jeremy and while wearing 10 gallon hats.
[url="http://www.texrenfest.com/"]
[/url]

[quote name='zakalwe7' post='1486513' date='Aug 19 2008, 18.09']Being a Brit and not overly familiar with Ren Fests, I read that as Ran Fest, and had an image of lots of Texans dressed up as Ran, with fake tashes to look like Ran Jeremy and while wearing 10 gallon hats.
[url="http://www.texrenfest.com/"]
[/url][/quote]

Laughing my fucking ass off.

Okay, so the first weekend of [url="http://www.texrenfest.com/dialup/themedweekends.html"]Texas Ran Fest[/url] is apparently Oktoberfest (BEER!).
That's on Columbus Day weekend (Oct 11-12 -- Columbus day is Mon Oct 13). If that's a problem...

The second weekend (Oct 18-19) is Fantasy themed. That might be the perfect time to go out there. I'll start planning to head out there, myself, on October 18. Maybe I'll get a motel room and come back on the 19th.

What exactly does a Ran costume consist of anyway? Judging by his avatar I'd guess some kind of zebra/tiger stripes? :lol: I guess I need to find someplace to buy a 10 gallon hat too. I haven't owned a cowboy hat since I was about 8 years old. (Yes, that's a stereotype... well, at least for *most* people in Texas that's a stereotype.)

[quote name='Mandy' post='1491677' date='Aug 22 2008, 23.06']WHere is ren fest? Maybe ill drag the kids along if lacy goes :P[/quote]

I'll have to find a weekend when we don't have a pig show. No... I am not joking... I wish I were. :P

[quote name='Mandy' post='1497602' date='Aug 27 2008, 22.38']That looks 50 times geekier than any convention I've ever been to. I'm not sure I could stomach that without lacy :P[/quote]

I know I will be out of town on the weekend of Oct 11. I don't know what is going on for the weekend of the 18th. I will have to check Babygirl's busy schedule. :) Goodness knows [i]I [/i]don't have anything going on.... I just go where I am told by the Babygirl.

[quote name='Mandy' post='905513' date='Jul 16 2007, 18.17']I'm in Austin :) We had a small Austin BWB meet a couple of years ago, but I don't know if those boarders are still here or not.

I met Lacy in LA, of course :) And I know LadyIsabel is up in the Dallas area. Ser Hot Pie is also in Austin :)[/quote]
*high five* I'm from Austin too!

[quote name='Mandy' post='1497602' date='Aug 27 2008, 22.38']That looks 50 times geekier than any convention I've ever been to. I'm not sure I could stomach that without lacy :P[/quote]

Well, I've been to my fair share of cons *and* renfaires. I tend to think the renfaires are less geeky because they draw a very large variety of people with different interests: drama, crafts, comedy, fantasy, history, alcohol, etc. Renfaires tend to be pretty family oriented -- though you can find venues that cater to a narrower crowd if you look closely enough.
Convention participants tend to be "fans" of whatever it is the convention is about (i.e. "geeks").
Typical fair-goers -- that is customers and not fair employees -- don't fit the mold of a "fan", and are generally just looking for an out-of-the ordinary country fair kind of experience.
Most ticket-buying customers at a renfaire are not wearing costumes or speaking "thusly" -- sure there are many fans who come in costumes without being paid a dime to do so, but they are a small minority. Mostly its just normal people looking for a good excuse to drink a lot of beer, eat lots of food, watch bellydancers and comedy routines, and maybe see a joust or some fireworks. Maybe shop for some out-of-the ordinary merchandise.
At a renfaire the actors and vendors and other fair coordinators are paid to be the "geeks" and the customers are just there to enjoy the sights, sounds, flavors, etc.

[quote name='Jakob Lightbringer' post='1486214' date='Aug 19 2008, 15.03']Okay, Texans. *bump*

[url="http://www.texrenfest.com/"]Texas Ren Fest[/url] is coming soon (oct 11 - nov 30) ... who's going?

I'm down here in San Antonio, and I might be persuaded to participate in social events, if only there was anyone doing anything in this gawd-awfully big state.[/quote]

San Antonio, here. I'm game, will there be a specific meeting point setup before / during the fest?

[quote name='Epilogue' post='1500897' date='Aug 30 2008, 23.50']San Antonio, here. I'm game, will there be a specific meeting point setup before / during the fest?[/quote]

The best place to organize a meeting point would probably be at an eating/drinking establishment. There's a place in the very back called the Italian Village where they sometimes have private gatherings. As I recall, when there are no private gatherings booked they leave the place open to browsers.

[url="http://www.texrenfest.com/dialup/map.html"]Here's a map.[/url]

[quote name='Jakob Lightbringer' post='1516185' date='Sep 12 2008, 17.26']Here comes another hurricane, folks!
Good luck![/quote]

Luckily, us San Antonians got off really easy in spite of earlier predictions. I hear Houston and Galveston were the only places who got hit pretty bad.
Hope everyone from the effected areas came out alright.

• 2 weeks later...
I live in Clear Lake, TX. The eye went right over us. We had some tree limbs down and the fence is down in places but other than that we came out great. We checked with the Renaissance Festival folks and they are good to go. Hope we can see y'all there opening weekend.

Archived