ACOK Reread - Daenerys

Barba

Daenerys I {XI}

Introduced: Drogon (largest of Daenerys' three young dragons, named after Khal Drogo; of black and scarlet scales);

Viserion (one of Dany's dragon of cream-and-gold scales; named after her brother Viserys);

Rhaegal (one of Dany’s young dragons, of green and bronze scales; named for her brother Prince Rhaegar);

Xaro Xhoan Daxos (Merchant Prince of the Thirteen from Qarth);

Pyat Pree (warlock from Qarth);

Quaithe (a masked shadowbinder from Asshai by the Shadow).

First Mentioned: Lynesse Hightower (Ser Jorah Mormont's former second wife, youngest daughter of Lord Leyton Hightower, great-niece of Ser Gerold Hightower, now concubine to a merchant prince from Lys);

Lord Leyton Hightower (the Voice of Oldtown, Lord of the Port, Lord of the High Tower, Defender of the Citadel, Beacon of the South; bannerman to the Tyrells; sometimes called the Old Man of Oldtown; four times married, his current wife is Lady Rhea of house Florent [youngest daughter of the late Lord Alester Florent]; father of Baelor Brightsmile, Malora the Mad Maid, Lady Alerie Tyrell, Ser Garth Greysteel, Lynesse, and Ser Gunthor, among others; the Hightowers are descendants of the First Men).

Dany believes the gods have sent the comet to show her the way. Yet as her small khalasar crosses the red lands following the trail of the comet, many die in the harsh climate, including Dany’s handmaiden Doreah. When her dragons are not eating the meat she feeds them, Dany remembers something Viserys had told her, that only men and dragons eat cooked meat. From then on, she feeds them cooked meat, and the dragons begin to grow. Dany recalls that Aegon’s dragons were named for the gods of Old Valyria, but she chooses new names for hers. Finally, they reach an ancient, deserted city that they name Vaes Tolorro, the city of bones. Dany learns the true story of Jorah’s fall, how he had been knighted by King Robert on Pyke, and shortly thereafter won a tourney at Lannisport where he had met Lynesse, his second wife. But Bear Island was a lonely place for a girl from Oldtown, and so Jorah had to spend lavishly to keep her happy. Eventually, the Lord of Bear Island was near penniless, and sold some poachers to a slaver rather than making them take the black, thus Lord Eddard came to behead him. Ser Jorah fled to Braavos with Lynesse, but she left him for a merchant prince in Lys. Dany then discovers that Ser Jorah loves her as more than a queen, because he says she resembles Lynesse. Later, Dany sends her bloodriders out in different directions to find civilization, but only Jhogo, who went southeast following the comet, found a city. And he brought back with him the three seekers from the great city of Qarth, who came to see dragons.

It's really hard to pin down the timeline in this chapter. First they're travelling for weeks in the Red Waste. We are never told exactly how long this takes. Then, they spend days in Vaes Tolorro. Finally, they send out the bloodriders who return weeks later. GRRM is probably being purposely vague, so that he can match Dany's timeline with the rest of the story more easily.

It is interesting to hear Jorah's back story.

Of the new characters introduced, Quaithe seems the most interesting to me, but she gets very little screen time so far. Is she as powerful as Mellsandre? I hope we get to see more of her.

Dany is the last POV character we occur in this book. In her chapter is the last interpretation of the Red Comet, and IMHO the right one. Also Jhogo came last one back to Vaes Tolorro, and the path he was set was the right one.

“They are mine,†she said fiercely. They had been born from her faith and her need, given life by the deaths of her husband and unborn son and the maegi Mirri Maz Duur. Dany had walked into the flames as they came forth, and they had drunk milk from her swollen breasts.
Here is an interesting quote, which can be interpreted in many different things.

- They had been born from her faith and her need - what faith does she speak of? this is what I can't quite figure out? Does she "know" she is AA?

- given life by the deaths of her husband and unborn son and the maegi Mirri Maz Duur (only death can pay for life) - This backbone of famous "Dany is AA, and her Dragons are Lightbringer" theory. Three of them tempered in three things she loved (some may argue about her love for MMD, but Dany did love her until MMD betrayed her. With MMD's betrayal died love as well)

- Dany had walked into the flames as they came forth - from Davos chapter we have:"In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer".

- Also there is connection that Dany tried to hatch her eggs on the warmth of her body, on fire, and finally on Pyre with Drogo, Rhaego and MMD.

Gentle Ser Willem Darry, who must have loved her after a fashion..
My english is not so good, but can this mean that he loved her "after a fashion FOR" someone. If yes, who could that be?

At a place where six alleys came together, Dany passed an empty marble plinth
Lithe young maidens danced on marble plinths, draped only in flowers
Maybe there was Maiden Statue here.

Also, the next sentence

On her shoulder, Viserion hissed.
kinda reminded me on Viserys reaction on statue in Vaes Dothrak
Viserys was less impressed. “The trash of dead cities,†he sneered.

They found Vaes Tolorro by following the Comet. After that Jhoggo found Quarth by following the Comet (southeast). Do we know weather they found Vaes Tolorro by going southeast, or just east?

Vaes Tolorro is WHITE city they found, and there they feasted by fruits from TREES. This kinda hinted me of Heart trees, which were white. Also, on the beginning of the chapter she thinks "gods gave me Comet to show me the way". Maybe that gods are Old gods, with children of the forest.

The last part of this chapter is very interesting, and IMHO worth thinking about. During reading it I had a feeling like I was reading a prophecy. check out the choice of words GRRM uses in the next quote:

The next morn, she summoned her bloodriders. “Blood of my blood,†she told the three of them, “I have need of you. Each of you is to choose three horses, the hardiest and healthiest that remain to us. Load as much water and food as your mounts can bear, and ride forth for me. Aggo shall strike southwest, Rakharo due south. Jhogo, you are to follow shierak qiya on southeast.â€
To me it sounds like those old stories (man I don't know how to explain it and whit what to compare it, and it's killing me).

“Seek for other cities, living and dead. Seek for caravans and people. Seek for rivers and lakes and the great salt sea. Find how far this waste extends before us, and what lies on the other side. When I leave this place, I do not mean to strike out blind again. I will know where I am bound, and how best to get there.â€
Now, this last sentence is very interesting. Can it mean that she wants to find out what her faith will be in the future.

And so they went...

...Day followed night followed day...

Can you see what I was talking about. It sounds like a story very wise man is talking. Like prophecy(again - man I don't know how to explain it and whit what to compare it, and it's killing me)..

Rakharo was the first to return...He had passed the bones of a dragon, he swore, so immense that he had ridden his horse through its great black jaws.
Aggo was back next. The southwest was barren and burnt, he swore. He had found the ruins of two more cities, smaller than Vaes Tolorro but otherwise the same. One was warded by a ring of skulls mounted on rusted iron spears, so he dared not enter, but he had explored the second for as long as he could. He showed Dany an iron bracelet he had found, set with a uncut fire opal the size of her thumb
Jhogo was gone so long that Dany feared him lost, but finally when they had all but ceased to look for him, he came riding up from the southeast...Jhogo came, yet not alone. Behind him rode three queerly garbed strangers...
Check out this three things, but in reverse order.

1. Jhogo came the last from Qarth, and that is where Dany is going next. He came with three strangers Dany will have to deal first.

2. Before Jhogo came Aggo. He found 2 cities, ruined, smaller than Vaes Tolorro. We can compare these three with three cities Dany will have to deal with after Qarth.

Vaes Tolorro is the biggest, and that is where Dany rules. It can be compared to Mereen, because of it's size, because Dany rules in it, and because it is where Aggo came first (using the reverse-order of things I mentioned, Dany in Mereen came last)

Second City was warded by a ring of skulls mounted on rusted iron spears, so he dared not enter. Dany didn't enter Yunkai.

Third city Aggo found, he explored as long as he could. He showed Dany an iron bracelet he had found, set with a uncut fire opal the size of her thumb. Dany also explored Astapor (first city she came across in SOS -> using the reverse order -> last city Aggo comes across) and figured out the way to cheat on trainers of Unusullied, and get them for herself. I have a strong feeling we can compare iron bracelet that Aggo took and scrolls he left behind with something, but nothing can cross my mind. Can you think of something?

3.And now, the spectacle. Rakharo returned first-> using the reverse order ->what he went through will be the last to occur. He passed through the BONES of BLACK DRAGON.

SPOILER: ADWD spoiler
We know That Drogon killed a child in her first chapter.

We also know that Drogon escaped when they were trying to catch him.

We also know that next book is called A Dance with Dragons, and it represents war fought with Dragons on each side.

Does this mean, my friends, that someone is about to die :devil:

Thoughts? :mellow:

Gentle Ser Willem Darry, who must have loved her after a fashion..

My english is not so good, but can this mean that he loved her "after a fashion FOR" someone. If yes, who could that be?

It just means that he loved her in his own way, but didn't really show it much.

I have a strong feeling we can compare iron bracelet that Aggo took and scrolls he left behind with something, but nothing can cross my mind. Can you think of something?

The iron bracelet can be compared to the slaves that Dany took from Astapor. I don't know about the scrolls.

• 4 weeks later...

Daenerys II {XII}

Introduced: Quhuru Mo (trader captain from the Summer Isles, captain of the Cinnamon Wind, father of Kojja Mo).

Dany’s tiny khalasar is led into the great city of Qarth by the three seekers. Pyat Pree tells her to come to the House of the Undying to learn of truth from the Warlocks. But it is Xaro Xhoan Daxos who lavishes her with gifts, and gives her a wing of his great palace to reside in. What Dany wants is swords and ships, neither of which she will gain in this city of excess. Xaro warns her extensively of the lies and dust offered by the Warlocks, but Ser Jorah mistrusts all the Qartheen. All Quaithe offers her is cryptic words: to beware all in Qarth, for when they see her dragons they will lust, because dragons are fire incarnate, and fire is power. She sends Ser Jorah to the docks, and he returns with a trader captain from the Summer Isles, who brings word of Westeros. He tells them that King Robert is dead and that Joffrey rules, but Robert’s brothers are gathering their strength to contest the throne. Dany promises him a reward if he visits her when she finally sits on her father’s throne. Ser Jorah warns her that Robert’s death changes nothing, but Dany disagrees, because the Seven Kingdoms will be in disarray if there is civil war.

• 2 weeks later...

I always connected Qarth with Cosnstantinopole (three walls), Babylon (rich and beautiful) and India (Kama sutra culture). One of most impressive cities so far.

Three people came to Dany to see the Dragons. I wonder Why Xaro never had any Bodyguards around him. Unusullied perhaps. Other than that, everyone admires Dragons. I wonder why no one tries to take them by force (maybe Undying did, but why didn't the thirteen)

In this chapter we see Dany giving her commands again. In the previous one it was to search the surrounding area - the desert. Here it is to search the city. It kinds shows her inteligence.

Sometimes he thinks of me as a child he must protect, and sometimes as a woman he would like to bed, but does he ever truly see me as his queen
This is probably true, but I think that Jorah tries very much to treat her like queen. It is only a shame he likes her this way, and it stops him in threating her like a queen.

The conversation between Quhuru Mo, Dany and the dragons is very interesting, especially their reactions.

"Dead?†she repeated. In her lap, black Drogon hissed, and pale smoke rose before her face like a veil.

“What was the manner of his death?†On her shoulder, pale Viserion flapped wings the color of cream, stirring the air.

“Then I grieve for you, Dragonmother, and for bleeding Westeros, bereft of its rightful king.â€

Beneath Dany’s gentle fingers, green Rhaegal stared at the stranger with eyes of molten gold. When his mouth opened, his teeth gleamed like black needles. “When does your ship return to Westeros, Captain?â€

Chapter after this one is Bran's in wich we see Summer reactions based on Bran's feelings (Bran starts fearing - Summer growls, Bran fears more - Summer attacks). Maybe her Dragons show her reaction. Drogon says something like:"Justice is satisfide. Victory shall be mine..", Rhaegal kinda figures the lies and asskissing (Quhuru Mo probably dosen't care about any of that stuff), but I can't figure out Viserion's reaction. Want for knowledge, maybe?

• 4 weeks later...

Daenerys (III) {XIII}

Introduced: Mathos Mallarawan, Wendello Qar Deeth, Egon Emeros the Exquisite (members of the Pureborn, descendants of the ancient kings of Qarth).

Dany relates to Xaro how the Pureborn had denied her, despite all the customary bribes. Dany’s hope of obtaining ships and men from the Pureborn was a failure, and now she had to move on. The Pureborn were interested only in her dragons, not in her cause. She again beseeches Xaro for ships, but the merchant prince tells her he has no warships. He asks her again to marry him, but Dany realizes that he only wants to obtain one of her dragons. She again considers going to the Warlocks for aid, and again Xaro warns her not to. As they move through the marketplace, Dany witnesses a firemage make a ladder of fire and climb it into the sky, as cutpurses move through the astonished crowd. Xaro declares the feat a fine trick, but Quaithe appears and tells them it was no trick.

The shadowbinder tells Dany that half a year ago, the man could scarcely make even a small fire appear, but his power has grown now, and all because of Dany, the Mother of Dragons. Quaithe warns, "You must leave this city soon…or you will never be permitted to leave it at all." Dany asks her where she would have her go, and Quaithe answers to Asshai beneath the Shadow, for it is there she will find truth. Her khas warn her not to trust the Asshai’i shadowbinder, and Xaro concurs. Later, Ser Jorah tells her she will find no help in this city. He tells her she should go east, but not to Asshai. When Dany suggests returning west to Illyrio, Jorah warns her that the Magister cares only for himself and would provide no help. Dany believes he will give her the ships and soldiers to retake Westeros, but Jorah states, "Nothing knits a broken realm together so quick as an invading army on its soil.â€

Daenerys (IV) {XIV}

The House of the Undying is a gray and ancient ruin, yet Dany is resolute that she must enter the abode of the Warlocks. Pyat Pree has her drink shade of the evening, from which the Warlocks get their blue lips. He warns her to always follow the door to the right, and the visions she sees in other rooms are the sights and sounds of past days, future days and days that never were. Dany enters the House of the Undying, and notices right away that she is in the presence of sorcery. Fortunately, she brought Drogon with her into the Warlocks' home. Dany sees a great many visions during her travel through the halls:

1) a scene where four men with rat faces are raping a beautiful woman;

2) a feast of corpses, where many of the bodies were savagely slaughtered, and many of the corpses have cups or spoons in their hands; above them sits a dead man on a throne with the head of a wolf, wearing an iron crown and holding a leg of lamb like a king would hold a scepter;

3) old, dead, loyal Ser Willem Darry at the house with the red door from when Dany lived in Braavos;

4) a scene where an old man with long silver hair sits on a barbed throne in a great hall with dragon skulls, and says "Let him be the king of ashes";

5) a man who looked like Viserys, but taller and with darker eyes, who says to a woman nursing a baby, "Aegon…What better name for a king…He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"; and when the man’s eyes meet Dany’s, he says either to her or the woman with the baby, "There must be one more…The dragon has three heads", and he picks up a silver harp and begins to play;

6) a vision of Pyat Pree telling her the visit was over, and to follow him into a garden;

7) a great hall with several robed people claiming to be the Undying of Qarth, who tell her, "We sent the comet to show you the way (to Qarth)…shall we teach you the secret speech of dragonkind?", but it turns out to be sorcery.

Finally, Dany comes upon a room with several figures that were no more than shadows, unbreathing, and over them floated a human heart, blue and corrupted (these are apparently the real Undying). The figures speak inside Dany’s head, saying "we know…the shape of shadows…morrows not yet made…drink from the cup of ice…drink from the cup of fire…mother of dragons…child of three…three heads has the dragon…three fires must you light: one for life and one for death and one to love…three mounts must you ride: one to bed and one to dread and one to love…three treasons will you know: once for blood and once for gold and once for love…daughter of death, slayer of lies, bride of fire…" She now sees visions in her head, floating faster and faster:

1) Viserys dying;

2) a tall lord with copper skin and silver hair bearing the banner of a fiery stallion (probably Rhaego, her unborn son);

3) a dying prince with rubies flying from his armor whispering the name of a woman with his last breath;

4) a blue-eyed king with a red sword in his hand who cast no shadow;

5) a cloth dragon amidst a cheering crowd;

6) a great stone beast flying from a smoking tower, breathing shadow fire;

7) her Silver horse given to her by Drogo at her wedding;

8) a corpse at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, smiling sadly;

9) a blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice;

10) shadows dancing in a tent;

11) a little girl running toward a house with a red door;

12) Mirri Maz Duur shrieking in the flames as a dragon bursts from her;

13) a corpse being dragged behind a silver horse;

14) a white lion running through grass taller than a man;

15) a line of naked crones emerging from a lake, kneeling before Dany beneath the Mother of Mountains;

16) ten thousand slaves crying "Mother" as Dany rode by on her silver.

At this point, the visions turn to nightmare as the Undying try to consume Dany, and she is helpless to stop them until Drogon starts to tear the corrupted heart to pieces. Fleeing from the burning House of the Undying, Pyat Pree attacks her with a dagger, but Drogon interrupts him long enough for Dany to hear Jhogo’s whip crack, and then she was in the arms of Ser Jorah.

• 3 weeks later...

In the 5th room Dany hears Rhaegar tell his wife that the dragon has 3 heads. Rhaegar thought that his two children were 2 of those 3 and that only one child/head was left to be born/found. Obviously Rhaegar was wrong. But who are the 3 heads???? Dany is one of course. Jon can be another one if the R+L=J theory is correct. Who can be the 3rd? I'm assuming it would be someone with Targ blood. Maester Aemon says in AFFC that the dragon has 3 heads but he is too old.

I wonder if the white lion in #14 could be a reference to Tyrion. In that case, the man would be smaller than the grass.

The "white" lion, though, is normally Jaime (Kingsguard whites, especially when he starts wearing them constantly in AFfC). In that case, someone really has fed the grass steroids. Unless it's metaphorical grass?

In the 5th room Dany hears Rhaegar tell his wife that the dragon has 3 heads. Rhaegar thought that his two children were 2 of those 3 and that only one child/head was left to be born/found. Obviously Rhaegar was wrong. But who are the 3 heads???? Dany is one of course. Jon can be another one if the R+L=J theory is correct. Who can be the 3rd? I'm assuming it would be someone with Targ blood. Maester Aemon says in AFFC that the dragon has 3 heads but he is too old.

That's one of the most talked about questions on the board. Personally, I think the third head is Bran. One head is Ice, and one is Fire, and one is both Ice and Fire.

The "white" lion, though, is normally Jaime (Kingsguard whites, especially when he starts wearing them constantly in AFfC). In that case, someone really has fed the grass steroids. Unless it's metaphorical grass?

I should have thought of Jaime first! Tyrion does have white hair though.

I should have thought of Jaime first! Tyrion does have white hair though.

So does Tommen - his is specifically white-blond as opposed to gold. Hmmm...

I've wondered for a while if there is any temporal significance to the Undying images.

The following happned pre-series:

Memories of Willem Darry

Aerys planning to burn down King's Landing

Rhaegar's "song of ice and fire" comment

Rhaegar's death

The little girl (Dany) at the red-doored house in Braavos (unless the girl isn't Dany...)

We've already seen the following in the story:

Rat-faced men raping the beautiful woman - if we are in agreement that this represents Stannis, Joffrey, Robb and Balon fighting over Westeros (ACoK)

Dany marrying Drogo (AGoT)

The Red Wedding (ASoS)

Death of Viserys (AGoT)

The corpse being pulled behind Dany's horse (AGoT)

The shadows dancing in the tent at Rhaego's death (AGoT)

Death of Mirri Maz Dhur (AGoT)

Stannis claiming to be Azor Azai (ACoK)

The slaves crying 'Mother' (ASoS)

These are yet to come or not clear:

The copper-skinned silver-haired horse lord - the conventional interpretation is that this is Rhaego as would have been, but, given that Mel and Stannis thought that Renly's death would prevent the vision M saw of Renly's troops killing Stannis's, I wouldn't be so sure the 'Rhaego-image' is still impossible...

The naked crones kneeling before Dany

The 'mummer's dragon' - I've always read this as a false baby-Aegon turning up in ADwD, or possibly a Bittersteel-descendent

The stone dragon breathing shadow-fire

The smiling corpse at the ship's prow

The blue flower coming from the chink in the Wall

The white lion running through grass taller than a man

How many of the yet to comes or unclears are going to happen or to become clear in ADwD, TWoW and ADoS? And at what rate? None of them happened in AFfC, most likely due to Dany's plotline's non-appearance, but the relative infrequency in ASoS makes me wonder how the rest are going to fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Daenerys (V) {XV}

Introduced: Belwas (called Strong Belwas, former famed warrior in the fighting pits of Meereen, a eunuch, sent by Magister Illyrio to help Dany).

Legends: King Aenys I Targaryen (2nd of the Targaryen kings after his father Aegon the Dragon, son of Aegon and Rhaenys, the entire Targaryen line descended from him; father of King Jaehaerys I and Queen Alysanne, half-brother of Maegor the Cruel; the Faith Militant uprose in an attempt to overthrow him, and this uprising was not completely quelled until the reign of King Jaehaerys I, despite Maegor's vicious attempts to do so);

King Jaehaerys I Targaryen (4th of the Targaryen kings, called the Old King, and the Conciliator, son of King Aenys, grandson of Aegon the Dragon and Rhaenys; husband and brother of Good Queen Alysanne; ruled for 55 years, longer than any other Targaryen king; called "the Conciliator" for his concessions to the Faith after Maegor spent much of his reign attempting to disarm them).

Dany considers the defeat of the Undying Drogon’s victory. However, Xaro warns her that the Warlocks are gathering their power to come for her, and that the other two great merchant consortiums want her either expelled from the city, or killed outright. Dany realizes she must flee, for Xaro’s protection can only go so far. The merchant again asks her to marry him, but this time Dany learns that what Xaro really wants is one of the dragons. Dany tells him that it would cost one-third of all the ships in the world in order for her to give up one of her dragons. Xaro leaves, and Dany questions Ser Jorah about some of the mysteries she saw in the House of the Undying. Jorah says that three heads of the dragon represents Aegon and his two sisters, but Dany is not convinced. The knight confirms that Rhaegar did play a silver harp, but he says that if the Prince’s son was the promised one in the vision, the infant Aegon was killed during the sack of King’s Landing. Jorah has no knowledge of the song of ice and fire.

Dany later sets out with the exiled knight and her bloodriders to find ships to take her from Qarth. Along the docks, Ser Jorah warns her that two men are following them. When a merchant hands her a beautiful box as a gift, Dany opens it to find a green scarab within. The creature within the box flies out, and mayhem erupts. The creature would have bit Dany had it not been for the old man with the staff who had been following them. The merchant was a Sorrowful Man, and the creature a manticore that would have killed Dany had it bitten her. They learn that the old man is Arstan, and the huge, scarred eunuch is Strong Belwas, both sent by Magister Illyrio to return them to Pentos. Dany concedes that she must leave Qarth, but commands them to change the names of their three ships to that of Aegon’s three dragons. The old man recognizes Mormont, and the exile recognizes him but cannot place a name. Arstan claims he comes from the Seven Kingdoms, and had squired for a knight of House Swann as a young man. The two claim that Illyrio sent for them because he wishes to have her dragons in order to bring justice to the Seven Kingdoms, which are a divided and warring realm.

Archived