NFL Thread

Bazzlebane

Since the Vick and Broncos threads are pretty specific to a single subject matter, I figured it was time to open the floodgates to league-wide talk. I'm placing the over/under on posts in this thread relating to the Patriots (pro or con) at 40%.

To get this going in a non-Pat direction, here is an excellent (and realistic) take on the Niners prospects this year. I figure I should deflate Childe's "consensus sleeper" nonsense right off the get-go.

While the NFC West can't compare to most of the AFC for talent, it is a remarkably close-matched division; any team can beat any team, probably home or on the road. There is also a plethora of big name running backs -- two young and improving (Jackson and Gore) and two old and in likely decline (Alexander and James).

Okay, how do I do this delicately....

Let me put it this way, I don't think the Bills, Jets, or Dolphins will win the AFC East.

Ah, screw it- they are my team so I can talk about them.

Pats training camp has many periods instead of question-marks. And that should make us all in pats-ville thrilled, right? WRONG! We have one major questionmark and its hanging right over our starting running back who has already stated that he will not be 100% by training camp. Did I mention he's the starter? Did I mention we got rid of his tandum partner earlier this off-season? Did I mention he has has a problem staying healthy? Did I mention that if you cannot run in the NFL, you cannot win?

Hey, I think its all Uber-rific that we have Moss, Stallworth, Welker, etc. I think its tremendous that we have Adalius Thomas. And I think its sensational that the Pats may very well have had the most successful free-agency season since... free agency. Great.

But asside from Maroney, here are three other problems we have:

1. Our Linebackers: They're old... and we didn't make them any younger. I don't know what to think here except that if they were 1 year younger on average... maybe we win the Super Bowl.

2. Secondary Issues: The guys we have are great- everyone is absolutey certain that Harrison is in the best shape of his career and apparently Merriweather has impressed folks. Great stuff. However, Asante Samuel has stated OUTRIGHT he is out until week 10 because .... honestly, because he should look at Deion Branch and scream "I HAVE LEARNED NOTHING!!!!!" And then walk away from 7.75 Million, appx 1000% increase in salary from last season. Lossing Asante is as bad as you think. And when will we have the "Third Anual Harrison Out For The Season" Party?

3. Vinney Testiverde is our Back up. Okay. I understand that if Brady goes down, it doesn't matter WHO is back there- the season is over. At the same time, the same could have been said for McNabb, and Garcia turned their season around. I would like it if the guy we have as our backup wasn't alive during the Kennedy Adminsitration. Just saying.

Obviously, if we stay healthy, we're a 13-3 team with a golden chance to have homefield throughout the playoffs (stay classy San Deigo, and best of luck with your Norv Turner-lead offense. I predict great things.... no really... ... ... ... ). However, as the season wears on, will we wear out? The Pats have been unable to stay healthy in the secondary SINCE 2003!!! And we aren't getting any younger.

Oh, but then I remember we have the best coach and QB in the NFL! My bad.

14-2

AFC East, AFC, and Superbowl Champs. You heard it here first.

Heard it here first? I think we'll be hearing it a lot. If, as Childe Roland said, the Niners are the consensus sleeper in the Lesser Conference, the Patriots are easily the Consensus Superbowl Favorite in the Greater Conference.

As an aside, I had no idea Vinny was your backup. You have my condolences on that one. But aside from that, I can't imagine any reason to doubt what looks to be a very good Patriots squad.

Loyalty is counteracting my usual disdain for everything dealing with the Patriots this season.

My cousin, Justice Harriston, was selected in the 7th round by the Pats. Great running back you guys picked up.

... but I still hate you. Go Steelers.

I'm happy with my boys, Gang Green. Our offseason may not have been as flashy as some, but we dealt with the issues we had. We've fixed 2 of our biggest problems which was the RB situation and our secondary (so long as our 1st round CB doesn't bust). The only other major concern I have is our Rush D, more so now since last I heard Hobson wasn't too happy. However overall, things look pretty good, not good enough to really challenge the Pats for the AFC East yet, but soon. I see the Jets going 10-6 again, and I think the Pats will easily get 12-4 or better. However I do think we'll split the season series, also I'm gonna say we'll grab a wild card again and actually win our first playoff game.

If we only had a quarterback....

It must be very relaxing letting ESPN and the Tribune do your thinking for you.

ETA:

Elway career totals after year 4:

Rating : 71.9 Completion Pct. : 54% Avg Yards per Att. : 6.7 TD : 66 INT : 65

Grossman career totals after year 4:

Rating : 72.4 Completion Pct. : 54% Avg Yards per Att. : 6.7 TD : 27 INT : 26

And basically none of you have seen enough Rex Grossman to evaluate him, and absolutely none of you have any basis to claim that the above comparison is non completely appropriate.

Well my team basically sucks so I probably have to drink a bit before I can trash talk sufficiently. It's a shame football is my favorite sport, but baseball is right up there and I doing great in that respect. I think I'll bask in the glow of that sport before I start to dwell too much on the prospects of a team with talent at only one position on offense. I think that is enough information for people to figure out where my loyalties lie, because I'm a little to embarrassed by them to come right out with it. Back to baseball, yeah.

Well my team basically sucks so I probably have to drink a bit before I can trash talk sufficiently. It's a shame football is my favorite sport, but baseball is right up there and I doing great in that respect. I think I'll bask in the glow of that sport before I start to dwell too much on the prospects of a team with talent at only one position on offense. I think that is enough information for people to figure out where my loyalties lie, because I'm a little to embarrassed by them to come right out with it. Back to baseball, yeah.

Aww, it's a fan of the Detroit Recievers.

Uh, go Bills? Fuck...

Even if Rex Grossman makes absolutely zero personal improvement, taking given that he will remain healthy, Rex Grossman WILL MAKE THE PROBOWL. Arguably he could have made it last year. This year, even with zero improvement on his part, by virtue of the extremely impactful gains the bears offense has made in vertical passing personel, as well as the added year in the system will be enough to give the 2006 Grossman, in all his inconsistant glory, a probowl berth.

Now consider that grossman is going into his second full season as an NFL starter, his 3rd season with the offense that he installed in 2005, his third season with the same O coordinator,his first season under the coaching of Pep Hamilton, the rigorous offseason campaign that he has underwent, and with the backing of a further improved defense, it is only reasonable to assume that Rex will show improvements in recognizing coverages, making reads, throwing accurately with solid mechanics and footwork, and making smarter decisions.

It is totally ridiculous to assume regression. It is slightly less ridiculous to assume stagnation, it is only reasonable to assume improvement.

You heard it here first, Rex Grossman, if healthy for the entire season wins the MVP award.

Even if Rex Grossman makes absolutely zero personal improvement, taking given that he will remain healthy, Rex Grossman WILL MAKE THE PROBOWL. Arguably he could have made it last year. This year, even with zero improvement on his part, by virtue of the extremely impactful gains the bears offense has made in vertical passing personel, as well as the added year in the system will be enough to give the 2006 Grossman, in all his inconsistant glory, a probowl berth.

Now consider that grossman is going into his second full season as an NFL starter, his 3rd season with the offense that he installed in 2005, his third season with the same O coordinator,his first season under the coaching of Pep Hamilton, the rigorous offseason campaign that he has underwent, and with the backing of a further improved defense, it is only reasonable to assume that Rex will show improvements in recognizing coverages, making reads, throwing accurately with solid mechanics and footwork, and making smarter decisions.

It is totally ridiculous to assume regression. It is slightly less ridiculous to assume stagnation, it is only reasonable to assume improvement.

You heard it here first, Rex Grossman, if healthy for the entire season wins the MVP award.

Fuck it. Caliban's going deep.

Im not even going to start on how Grossman adds more to a passing attack then Phillip Rivers until we get closer to week 1.

Its crazy to me how stupid some otherwise intelligent people get when Grossman comes up. I have also never seen a more unprofessional media coverage surrounding a player (minus Adam Schein) in my entire life.

For some reason nobody can wrap there head around the fact that Grossman has shown incredible promise, and the fact that their is basically zero QBs in NFL history that have had instant success.

the sex cannon will get better

the niners will finish second in the nfc west

a pat will suffer a horrific injury.

mike vick will be electrocuted in effigy

the colts will score a lot of points because they will give up a lot of points.

the over under on carries for larry johnson before he actually falls to pieces? 15

philly wins the nfc east

the chargers somehow inprove with norv turner.

as long as the pat that suffers the horrific injury is not maroney or brady i think they win the superbowl

Elway career totals after year 4:

Rating : 71.9 Completion Pct. : 54% Avg Yards per Att. : 6.7 TD : 66 INT : 65

Grossman career totals after year 4:

Rating : 72.4 Completion Pct. : 54% Avg Yards per Att. : 6.7 TD : 27 INT : 26

From the missing the forest for the trees department. All I did was point out the (very) obvious.

All the numbers are almost identical. Y'know, except for the production. And the clutch-ness.

In other news the Redskins just completed their grueling offseason rookie-toughening up program where rookies are hit in the groin with paintballs until they're sent to the hospital. Honestly? Great idea. In a league filled with parity, one of the ways to distinguish yourself is to weed out the skirt-wearing rookies from the men.

Tremendous.

I agree with Fez. I think the Jets finish 10-6 and make the playoffs. Granted whenever I think they will do well they fall apart, so who knows (although I was one of the few to predict they were going to win more than people were saying last year - I thought 5 maybe 6 wins last year when all the experts were saying 3 or 4).

Archived