NFL Thread

Bazzlebane

I can sympathize with Dante-- all these "experts" picking the Niners as their sleeper worries me. But still, the fact that I'll be somewhat disappointed if this team doesn't make the postseason is an indication of just how far they've come.

As far as predictions go, for the Niners I really think Vernon Davis is going to put up some HUGE numbers this year. And I think if the defense can get any sort of a pass rush, the defense will be quite respectable (that might be a big if, I don't really know).

On the league-wide scale (aside from the obvious Colts/Pats are great predictions), I think this is going to be a good year for the Broncos and Eagles-- IMO each will rise up to be the chief competition for the Pats/Saints in their respective divisions (the Bears will suffer a traditional post Super Bowl loss hangover). I also think the Bucs are going to surprise people in that they will be halfways decent-- not playoff good, but .500 good as opposed to the complete suckitude most analysts are predicting.

Anyway, I'm more excited for this season to get underway than I have been for any other in quite a few years. Hell, I'm even looking forward to preseason "action" (I know... I have a problem). I can't wait to see how the rookies look and how Alex Smith and the offense works minus Norv. I can't wait for the first inevitable mini meltdown from TO/Moss so we can see how their new coaches deal with them. I can't wait for the first moment Rams fans realize their defense, yet again, can't stop the run ( :P sorry roland). I can't wait for the first non-Theisman Monday Night football game.

In short, I too, am ready for some football.

GO NINERS :thumbsup:

Thank you for the hello Ser Paladin- i am a bit of a lurker but i have posted in the past. I have to disagree with you about Turner - he is terrible and will single handedly turn them into a non-contender. He is like that guy in your office that has worked at 50 different places and at first you are like "man this guy is it, how can anyone let him go - they must have been crazy!" and six months later you are firing him b/c he has not a clue...As far as the JAGS - man, i have seen them play in person and really they are punishing, opposing offenses are actually scared of these guys - if they had any assemblence of an offense they would be a force -

Here is my NFC predicts and there has to be a side note: I think they NFC is weak, half of these teams wouldn't hack in the AFC. Dallas is fine but you heard this hear: TONY ROMO IS A BUST - 6 game wonder - trust me; 5 years from now here is the headline: DETROIT LIONS SIGN ROMO - and in small script you will read: Tony Romo was bagging groceries 6 months ago after being cut from the ARENA LEAGUE when Matt Millen contacted him to try out for the 3-13 Lions...Mark my words his named will be likened to Tommy Maddox...

NFC EAST: Cowboys - not sure about these guys and i think this is w/out a doubt the most over rated conference in NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE

SLEEPER: Eagels - McNabb comes back they will be alright. THis is the year where we transition the phrase "the eagels are a mature veteran team" to "the eagles maybe on the downside and long in the tooth"

BASEMENT: SKINS - Poor Joe reminds me of that guy at your corner bar who says "Back in my day Kids were respectful, walked old ladies across the street" sort of thing - the game has passed him by

NFC SOUTH:

WINNER: SAINTS - I love this team, talent, heart and character - balanced attck, good D

SLEEPER: Panthers - Fox has to rebound; I hear it already...Bill Cower is going to turn these guys around...AGH

BASEMENT: Falcons - What are the odds on Arthur Blank will be checking into rehab for a driniking problem say around October? Bet Vick can lay odds on that one

NFC NORTH:

Winner: Bears - lovie is great - balanced team. I am of the "rex grossman is going to be good QB" camp - let's not get hasty and compare #'s to Elway though....Think Jake Plummer minus the dozens of interceptions...maybe ;)

DETROIT: I am not going to call them a sleeper but i am going to say the better win at least 8 games or Jon Kitna will be the ass of many jokes. Great WR's AWSOME - but they are a big 0 on Defense

The rest of the teams suck - no hope in Green Bay other than John Madden is petitioning same sex marriages in the state of Wisc so his life long dream of having man love with Brett Favre can be a reality and the VIKES are getting better but come on Tavarious Jackson nor Brooks Bollinger? Good thing they don't have anyone to throw to - the rookie should have about 500 carries and a torn ACL by November...

NFC WEST:

WINNER: RAMS - this divison is going to be fun - i have vested interest b/c my FF franchise players are Jackson and Alexander - Rams are going to be tougher than you think...

Sleeper: TIE - 49ers and Cardinals. 49ers are everyone's sexy pick and i think they will be vastly improved BUT the Cardinals are going to be tough - culture change thier and the potential fire power is there on offense - just wait and see about the D

* I also have to put the Seahwaks as well - this can go anyway - If Seatle is any other division in the NFC they win it, but I have one of those gut feelings about the Hawks' that about the 8th week the commentators are going to be giving the whole "If they don't pick it up this year is fried chicken" sort of thing.

SUPER BOWL PREDICT: PATS V SAINTS - in a absolute drudging the PATS give the AINTS a swirly at the bowl...

i love the new guy. i mean really how could i not with the rams winning the division

Heard it here first? I think we'll be hearing it a lot.

Sorry. I meant to say on this thread. You are 100% correct- everyone is picking the pats to win the SB. Its absolutely infuriating.

no one has mentioned the COLTS - they didn't loose anything

Colts lost a lot in the offseason- Kato June, their playoff-stud RB, a DB, and Brandon Stokely. And even STILL some people are picking them to win the SB. Which is cute. They are the white hat to the Pats black (which boggles my mind), so people are PRAYING the Pats fall on their face and the Colts go all the way. This IS possible, btw, because 4 of the top 5 teams in the NFL play in the AFC.

And I really cannot abide by the “Rex-Is-Coming-Alone-Nicely†posts. He’s horrible. As bad as anyone who has ever “led†a team to the Super-Bowl.

Anyway, my BS predictions that are wrong:

AFC EAST

Pats

Bills

Jets

Dolphins

I think the Jets have a drop off from last season, and I really think we are in store for a Bills resurgence. They have the RB and their QB is learning, defense gelling. I like the Jets coaching, but I think they are in for a surprise. I think they are out of the playoffs and the Bills are in.

Miami continues to suck. I don’t see ANY improvement after their coach left them high and dry and they are without a running game. And, folks, I hate to break it to you but Trent Green… isn’t that good. And he’s old. Same age as Favre. Their Defense is good, but older and that does not help the O. The Dolphins again probably split their series with the Pats (because God hates us), but otherwise, I see no change, maybe even a backward step. Pats roll.

AFC NORTH

Ravens

Cinci

Steelers

Browns

I really think this division is the Ravens and three other teams. I think the Steelers have experience and the Bengals have talent. But neither team can wrestle the mantle from the Ravens; I also WANTED to rank the Browns higher, but I can’t do it. They have no talent. Only the Raves make the playoffs.

AFC SOUTH

Colts

Jags

Titans

Texans

I wonder if the Colts’ division could be anymore cake? Seriously-when with the first NFL all blind team be fielded so the South can get 5 teams? Actually, I’m being too harsh- the Jags are becoming a solid team (even if Jack Del Rio’s mangina was acting up again last season) and the Titans were in resurgence. However, I don’t see the Titans repeating last season’s drama, but I DO see the Jags putting it all together. Colts dominate, though.

AFC WEST

Broncos

Chargers

Chiefs

Raiders

My only real upset in the AFC. I see the Chargers languishing under their idiot coach. Even with the best top-to-bottom talent in the NFL (whatever that means- I mean, is their backup left guard THAT much better than everyone else’s?), I see a stagnant mid-season, and by the time they put it all together, the Broncos have passed them (which leads to the INFURIATING “The Chargers are the team nobody wants to play in the playoff†stories.). Oh, and the Chiefs are terrible and the Raiders are the worst team in football.

NFC EAST

Cowboys

Eagles

Giants

Skins

And I could be 100% wrong! I think this may be the WORST division in the league. None of these teams could make it in the AFC and none will dominate even here. I’m giving it to the Cowboys based on talent alone; Skins could jump as high as second; Eagles could go 12-4 or 4-12. I have no faith in McNabb. None. But at least he's not Eli Manning.

NFC NORTH

Chicago

Detroit

Minnesota

Green Bay

Chicago and the ugly sisters. Screw it- I’m picking Detroit to go to the playoffs for the second year in a row! Because it worked so well for me last season! This sucks, btw. I honestly forgot how terrible the NFC was until I started making these lists.

NFC SOUTH

Panthers

Saints

Buccaneers

Falcons

I’m bucking the wisdom here- I think the Saints are ready for a slide; they went too far too fast last season and almost every team that happens to comes back down to Earth the next season. And we saw an ugly side of reggie Bush during that playoff game- classic not-ready-for-prime-time. I see the Panthers having a Ravens-esque season – just quietly mowing down opponents until everyone wakes up and goes “Jesus Christ, the Panthers are that good?†And the Falcons have a humiliating 3-13 season and Senator Byrd continues to want Michael Vick electrocuted; funny part is- so does everyone else.

NFC WEST

Seattle

San Francisco

St. Louis

Arizona

The good news is, for the first time in 3 years I am not predicting a Zona playoff birth (twice bitten, once shy…. Right?). I Don’t see how St. Louis gets it all together and I think Seattle is too talented. Everyone else things the 9'ers are good for a playoff birth, so who am I to buck that trend. So, that’s how I see this breaking down.

PLAYOFFS- The Superbowl is won when the Pats defeat the Colts at Foxboro. The post-party celebration is held after the winner of the Bears-Panthers game is crushed two weeks later. Or something like that.

NFC EAST

Cowboys

Eagles

Giants

Skins

And I could be 100% wrong! I think this may be the WORST division in the league. None of these teams could make it in the AFC and none will dominate even here. I’m giving it to the Cowboys based on talent alone; Skins could jump as high as second; Eagles could go 12-4 or 4-12. I have no faith in McNabb. None. But at least he's not Eli Manning.

You have no faith in McNabb, or you have no faith in his ability to stay healthy? If he plays 16 (or even 12) games this year, I don't see any way the Eagles fail to make the playoffs. The problem is, I don't think anyone knows if Donovan will be able to do that.

Anyone else heard the rumor that Colts LT Tarik Glenn is planning to retire? That could be another big blow to Indy's chances this year, as a rookie (Tony Ugoh) would probably be the guy to protect Manning's blindside once the season starts.

ETA: Oops, forgot the link: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../707200535/1100

I'm scared because I agree with Rock almost pick for pick (even his Bills and Broncos picks -- I picked the Bills last year, it didn't work out, but I'm sticking to it.) The only place I disagree is the NFC West, where I think the Seahawks are finally due to take a major fall, but I'm having a hard time deciding whether I think that means the Rams or the Niners will win the West.

Fuck it. I'll let the homer in me roar and pick the Niners.

Now I feel dirty.

I'm scared because I agree with Rock almost pick for pick (even his Bills and Broncos picks -- I picked the Bills last year, it didn't work out, but I'm sticking to it.) The only place I disagree is the NFC West, where I think the Seahawks are finally due to take a major fall, but I'm having a hard time deciding whether I think that means the Rams or the Niners will win the West.

Fuck it. I'll let the homer in me roar and pick the Niners.

Now I feel dirty.

Oh, come on, you picked the Bills because of Marshawn Lynch (who, I am vaguely sickened to say, I will be rooting for) :P . I mean, I'm a Bills fan, and I barely have them third in the division. I can't even comprehend what Rock's excuse is.

No, it's because I picked the Bills last year and I'm stubborn that way. Even when proven wrong. Maybe it's the Chris Berman in me (shudder). Though I do like Marshawn Lynch ;). It's all irrelevant anyways because the Patriots are the only worthy team in that division. I guess a lot of people like the Jets, but it's fun to pick against overhyped New York teams.

One other Rock pick I should switch is Cowboys/Eagles. I think the Eagles will win the (weak) NFC East. Rockroi may have no faith in Donovan McNabb, but I have great faith that Tony Romo is shit.

I was rooting for the Jets before Mangini came along, no bandwagoner am I, and I honestly think we're going to do alright this year. And it's not just hype either, sure the schedule is tougher this year (a little anyway) but we're also a better team this year. The fact that Pennington finally has had a normal offseason is also huge, I think this is the first time he hasn't been recovering from an injury. Will we go the distance the year and finally win another super bowl after 40 years? No, I'm more realistic then that, but I'm still very excited about the season.

As for the Bills though... no just no. They were practically dismantled during the offseason and no matter what gains Losman has made he still isn't a good enough QB to lead his team anywhere. Lynch will be a good RB, but so was Willis McGahee and he didn't help much. They might make .500 but that's the best they can hope for, .500 though is miles better then what the Fins will accomplish.

Rockroi,

The Jets will be better, not worse. A top 5 team in the NFL.

The Bills, on the other hand, after having lost three of their best 5 players, will be pathetic once more.

Rockroi,

The Jets will be better, not worse. A top 5 team in the NFL

Mr. RockRoi,

I respect that you are J-E-T-S fan but perhaps the fumes in New Jersey have clouded your judgement. Top 5? No way my friend and please do not take it personal - mine is the browns so I am trying to bring you back to reality.

They have an AVERAGE Defense for starters - and i am being quite kind. And a QB that perhaps has the gun of a 14 PEE WEE leauge champion and if he played in any other market his nickname would be Nancy BOY and throw Thomas Jones in, nothing but a malcontent - big giant melonama; Think Randy Moss minus the talent. So will the J-E-T-S be improved -Y-E-S w/out adoubbt. Top 5? No way sorry to say.

Mr. RockRoi,

I respect that you are J-E-T-S fan but perhaps the fumes in New Jersey have clouded your judgement.

Rockroi is a patriots fan. I think you meant to address Stego. Who is most assuredly, also a Patriots fan. Carry on.

Zanni there is an edit feature if you need it. :P

I'm a Patriots fan as well. :thumbsup: Stego was just throwing a little love to the rivals who did beat the Patriots in the regular season last year. I've also seen several *cough* experts predicting the Jets in the top ten. Does that make them more "Now" than the Patriots? Let our NFL panel decide.

Relax folks- I have been called worse things in my life than a Jets fan.

Stego:

I don't see the Jets rising to top five in the NFL- Pennington is not as good as many assume he is (even when healthy, he's underwelming); their defense is lightweight, and they now have no running game. Top 5? I just do not see it. Their coach is very good, he does more with less. But the Jets could EASILY go 3-3 in the division and that is not a great team.

For the Bills, I was a little blind to their off-season losses, but I think their defensive schemes are very good and their QB and RB are talented. Not off the charts, but talented enough.

I just think the Jets are about to have another Jets season- peopel are excited about them, predict great things, and then they hand in a mediocre effort. I really think they go 8-8, plus or minus one game. I could be completely wrong.

I'm pretty sure grozeng and I are the only Jets fans here right now. I do however appreciate Stego's Jet's love, though undoubtedly the cause of it is that if (that's right if, not when) the Pats beat the Jets the win feels even more satisfying.

Now Zanni, though your comments were not directed at me, as a true fan I feel the need to respond.

Firstly, New Jersey has it's nice spots... okay, not really. But I live a couple hours north of NYC so the only thing clouding my judgement is the ever-present deer feces.

Secondly, our defense is better then average, yes it is. Our Run D has it's problems, but other then that it is much better, espeically with Darrelle Revis now in the secondary. Sure he's a rookie, but I think he'll have an immediate impact. And if he doesn't start it's because Barrett has pushed himself to new heights.

As for Pennington, you really shouldn't make fun of his arm strength. It's not the best, but it is stronger then people always make it out to be. And he and Coles have an almost telekinetic relationship on the field, they are not a tandem like Young and Rice or Manning and Harrison, but they are good enough.

And finally there is Jones, he'll be probably be trouble down the road, but not this year. He has everything he asked for, and will be grateful; the Jets 'saved' him from the Bears and the threat of not being the premier RB and gave him all the money he wanted. This year he'll be doing his best, and showing the Bears what it was they lost when they traded him.

And you know what, why shouldn't we be a Top 5 AFC team (which means Top 6 or 7 NFL team)? We made the playoffs last year, which makes us Top 6 AFC team right now and even people who don't think we'll do great mostly think we'll do better then last year. Besides, there's not that many other teams out there. Let's see, there's the: Pats (yes), Colts (yes), Chargers (talent yes, coaching no), Ravens (yes), Broncos (probably), and the Bengals (about equal to the Jets). There's not really anyone else that I'm really worried about. The Chiefs RB is going to fall apart like a Jingo game, the Jags don't have a QB to lead them, Young won't be giving a repeat performance, and I've mentioned what I thought of the Bills in an earlier post. So why not a Top 5 team?

By the time I planed to put predictions out, this will be stale. So here we go..

NFC East

* Eagles 11-5

Cowboys 9-7

Skins 6-10

Gianst 6-10

NFC North

* Bears 13-3

* Lions 9-7

Vikings 6-10

Packers 4-12

NFC South

* Saints 11-5

Panthers 9-7

Falcons 6-10

Bucs 4-12

NFC West

* Niners 10-6

* Rams 9-7

Seahawks 8-8

Cards 8-8

NFC Championship - Saints over Eagles

AFC East

* Patriots 13-3

Jets 10-6

Bills 6-10

Dolphins 5-11

AFC North

* Ravens 11-5

* Bengals 10-6

Steelers 5-11

Browns 4-12

AFC South

* Colts 11-5

Jaguars 8-8

Titans 6-10

Texans 4-12

AFC West

* Broncos 12-4

* Chargers 11-5

Chiefs 4-12

Raiders 2-14

AFC Championship - Broncos over Patriots

Super Bowl - Broncos over Saints

Notes:

• Notice my "tie" between the Lions, Cowboys and Panthers. The Lions probably don't get into the playoffs over those teams, and are really a 7-9 team, but I'm really feeling them this year. Sort of like the Cardinals a couple years ago (and oh, I nailed that one :o ). Plus, it's not like the Cowboys or Panthers would have won a playoff game this year anyway.
  • Bengals or Jets was a coin flip. They are both on the cusp.
  • Yes, I think the Chiefs will be that bad.
  • As to the Pats not going to the dance... "teams of density" always seem to stumble somewhere, and I think this is the Broncos year to go all the way, as a surpise Champ.

I'm pretty sure grozeng and I are the only Jets fans here right now. I do however appreciate Stego's Jet's love, though undoubtedly the cause of it is that if (that's right if, not when) the Pats beat the Jets the win feels even more satisfying.

Now Zanni, though your comments were not directed at me, as a true fan I feel the need to respond.

Firstly, New Jersey has it's nice spots... okay, not really. But I live a couple hours north of NYC so the only thing clouding my judgement is the ever-present deer feces.

Secondly, our defense is better then average, yes it is. Our Run D has it's problems, but other then that it is much better, espeically with Darrelle Revis now in the secondary. Sure he's a rookie, but I think he'll have an immediate impact. And if he doesn't start it's because Barrett has pushed himself to new heights.

As for Pennington, you really shouldn't make fun of his arm strength. It's not the best, but it is stronger then people always make it out to be. And he and Coles have an almost telekinetic relationship on the field, they are not a tandem like Young and Rice or Manning and Harrison, but they are good enough.

And finally there is Jones, he'll be probably be trouble down the road, but not this year. He has everything he asked for, and will be grateful; the Jets 'saved' him from the Bears and the threat of not being the premier RB and gave him all the money he wanted. This year he'll be doing his best, and showing the Bears what it was they lost when they traded him.

And you know what, why shouldn't we be a Top 5 AFC team (which means Top 6 or 7 NFL team)? We made the playoffs last year, which makes us Top 6 AFC team right now and even people who don't think we'll do great mostly think we'll do better then last year. Besides, there's not that many other teams out there. Let's see, there's the: Pats (yes), Colts (yes), Chargers (talent yes, coaching no), Ravens (yes), Broncos (probably), and the Bengals (about equal to the Jets). There's not really anyone else that I'm really worried about. The Chiefs RB is going to fall apart like a Jingo game, the Jags don't have a QB to lead them, Young won't be giving a repeat performance, and I've mentioned what I thought of the Bills in an earlier post. So why not a Top 5 team?

All in good fun about the JETS - actually i am heading to NJ tomorrow - i go there often. I dig on Pennigton b/c i have had Coles for the past 2 years in FF and it frustrates me when he breaks free there is some difficulty getting him the ball. The AFC is going to a mexican stand off and the JETS can make it, and despite the post i do respect Mangini, he changed the culture and did a great job last year, and as far as Pennignton i must admit that i would take him on my team (not saying much but in all sincerity) what he lacks in arm strenght he makes up in moxie. The AFC will be interesting and i do agree with most of your observations and as much as i hate the bengals they scare me - and not in the "if i was at a nightclub" and they were all there kinda way (and i would be :) they have an explosive offense and if the D can stay out of jail and put the hookah away they will be tough. - No worries and yes there is an edit button but i was absolutely smashed when i posted that so again a quick appolgy - and that goes to any one else as well..

Archived