NFL Thread

Bazzlebane

The Jets add two good OL players last year and get Thomas Jones, and NOW they don't have a running game? The hell?

But they are losing Kendall, the left guard, it seems. The sentence goes from "The Jets added two good OL players last year" to "The Jets just lost the mentor to Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw, and a key veteran on their line"

Okay, I can see that. I still don't see how losing a guard but gaining a great center and tackle and a good (and most importantly, reliable) RB is somehow losing their running game. Besides, the offense wasn't the problem last year anyway - it was the horrible run defense that was the big issue.

Okay, I can see that. I still don't see how losing a guard but gaining a great center and tackle and a good (and most importantly, reliable) RB is somehow losing their running game. Besides, the offense wasn't the problem last year anyway - it was the horrible run defense that was the big issue.

I was making an attempt at explaining the other poster's comment.

In my opinion, the Jets RB situation, particularly in catching out of the backfield, could be a real thorn in the rest of the AFC East's defenses.

Ser Paladin, do you realize you predicted that the NFL as a whole would be under .500 for the season? How does that work? ;)

I was sort of paying attention through most of it. The NFC as a whole was one game over .500, and the AFC East and AFC North cancelled each other out.

Maybe I shouldn't have thrown the Texans, Chiefs and Raiders so far under the bus.

I forgot the Jets picked up Thomas Jones, so I retract my previous comment about them not having a running game. I realized this a short while after I posted but never got back to it. Regardless, he's a nifty running back, but I wonder how he'll perfrom behind this Offensive Line and in the AFC. I also trust nothing else about the Jets, most notably their overrated QB and their lackluster defense. If their running game jells (and I am not convinced of this yet), I can see them making some strides at the wild card over the Bills.

However, I also do not think they are one of the top 5 teams in the NFL.

I also think Pennington is underrated.

Let's see.....

Brady

Manning

Brees

Palmer

Pennington

With perhaps that kid from SD breaking in the top 5, if he can continue. I rate Pennington as fifth in the NFL. But then, Idon;t give a shit abouit arm strength. And neither should you.

Jeff George.

With perhaps that kid from SD breaking in the top 5, if he can continue. I rate Pennington as fifth in the NFL. But then, Idon;t give a shit abouit arm strength. And neither should you.

Jeff George.

Arm strength isn't everything, but it is something. If he had Jeff George's arm strength, Jeff Garcia would be headed to Canton.

Now that's a winning silly argument.

Fixed. That is like saying speed doesn't matter, look at Willie Gault.

Speed isn't everything. Arm strength isn't everything. But if you are slow or weak-armed, this WILL be a detriment to you.

another reason i like the rams in the west this year. Frank Gore is going to get, hurt alexander doesn't care outside the twenty and i have doubts if barry sanders could be productive in arizona. so you see the run defense not as important inside the division.

I also think Pennington is underrated.

Let's see.....

Brady

Manning

Brees

Palmer

Pennington

Jeff George.

True that - arm strength is overated at least by scouts and NFL Minds. Akili Smith had a cannon Browning Nagle had a howitzer and Kyle Boller can kneel and throw the ball through the goal posts which is real handy for grabbing gatorade for the starters. If you can't make proper reads, and fast, good decisions - arm strength doesn't mean squat. I just disagree with putting Pennington up that high - there are a couple i would put ahead of Chad - Bulger (who is just as frail as Pennington), Hasselbeck, McNabb, even the old man McNair. Kitna, Rivers are about the same and with some debate with Eli and Leihart - my two cents...

But Zanni - despite a good winning record and taking his team to multiple playoff years, McNabb is and will always be a loser. Whereas Pennington, who has gone to the playoffs twice now and won one game (when he wasn't horribly injured) is a winner.

But Zanni - despite a good winning record and taking his team to multiple playoff years, McNabb is and will always be a loser. Whereas Pennington, who has gone to the playoffs twice now and won one game (when he wasn't horribly injured) is a winner.

Tyrone C Love,

I am not sure if i get what you are saying but I for one am not a big fan of McNabb, just not really but he has won some big games in his career but goose eggs on rings and i sorta understand where you are coming from. Last year before he blew his knee up he was one of the top 3 qb's in the league and was putting together a monster type year but really my point was that i would rank McNabb over Chad P, along with the Bulger, Hasselback -maybe Mcnair and that Rivers/Eli/Kitna are about the same level, upsides and downsides to each but really when the day is done their numbers will be very comparable. That is all. Overall he is a top ten QB, more than serviceable but i wouldn't consider him in the Peyton, Brady, Brees, Palmer, Bulger circle.

Well I don't think Pennington is a top 5 QB, but he does the most with what he has. He is very accurate, he is a great competitor/leader for the team and he wins games for the Jets. Last year I was predicting good things for him and was one of the people posting about how there was no reason to take Leinart if you had a healthy Pennington. Kellen Clemens has arm strentgth and he'll probably be the number 3 QB for the team next year behind Marques Taulosiepo (or whatever his name is).

Looking at the Jets and Buffalos schedules, both play their 6 games against the AFC East. Buffalo has Denver, Pitt, Dallas, Baltimore, Cincy, Jax, Wash, Cleveland, NYG and Philly.

The Jets have: KC instead of Denver and Tenn instead of Jax.

I really think the Jets have the easier schedule of the 2 and don't see Buffalo winning more than 6 or 7 games. The Jets should be good for 10 wins. The Jets used to have a lot of trouble with McGahee. He was the only reason the games were competitive between the Jets and Buffalo (except for one last year where they had 2 long TDs that were kind of flukes - kind of like the first NE/NYJ game last year). Now that they lost McGahee I see the Jets taking both games from Buff (but losing to Baltimore).

Screw lists. I think we can all agree that Matt Lienart, despite accomplishing nothing in the NFL is more "Now" than any other QB.

I don't know. Brady has the baby with the actress, is dating the supermodel and now has some good WRs. Add in all the Pats hype for the preseason and it definitely has to be Brady.

I think the Jets will do about as well this year, assuming that Pennington's arm doesnt fall off again, as they have done in years he stays healthy. They will probably win around 9 games, and if they really catch on fire they might make it to 11 or 12 wins. I give them about a 60% chance of making the playoffs.

I just wanted to throw this out there, something I said last year and was soundly denounced for (by folks using FO stats), that the Pats have the best D line around.

Well, looks like FO agrees here..

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7050132

1. New England (7)

For years, Bill Belichick's defense has been built around linebackers. Those days are over, and by far the best unit on this defense is the defensive line. Richard Seymour is an extraordinary football player, but a season ago, he became invisible at times. Fortunately, fellow starters Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork rose to elite levels. According to Adjusted Line Yards, the Patriots were the second-best team preventing runs behind the offensive right tackle, runs which go right at Warren. Wilfork has joined the short list of outstanding nose tackles, the type of player who can completely change a game without making a single tackle. If these three weren't enough of a problem, end Jarvis Green is good enough to start for most teams but is merely a spare part in New England, and tackle Mike Wright has gone from an undrafted nobody to one of the league's most productive second-stringers. If the Patriots ever wanted to show a four-man front, either Roosevelt Colvin or Adalius Thomas could torture quarterbacks from a three-point stance on the outside.

Archived