NFL Thread

Bazzlebane

I don't know. Brady has the baby with the actress, is dating the supermodel and now has some good WRs. Add in all the Pats hype for the preseason and it definitely has to be Brady.

Any red blooded american male would gladly cut thier pinky off to be Tom Brady for while - minus the constant ass beatings a QB takes on Sundays. makes me laugh that whole NOW thing espn is running, it is like thier E Network take on sports - makes me sick to my stomach.

Funny little take on that...

Who is more NOW?

Michael Vick v OJ Simpson

Ron Artest v Pacman Jones

Zidane v Tonya Harding

Barry Bonds v John Daly

Despite all of Caliban's bluster, the Bears will be a good team again. And while I see no reason why they can't win their division again, I'm wary on calling for more than 11 wins. There are flaws on this team this season that don't even have anything to do with Rex Grossman, if he fails early, there are other options for the team. It's the running game that worries me. All of those eggs in Benson's basket and I'm not even convinced that he's all that.

I'll garuntee one of two things from Rex Grossman this season: 1. He's hurt and out 10+ weeks before the season even begins. 2. He'll improve his consistency enough so that he at least has to be thought of in the team picture for the MVP that Caliban's predicting.

There is no middle ground for him this season.

I still think that Seymour has lost a step and that no one on there is as dominant as some of the other line players. I certainly think they have a good line, but it's not as good as other teams.

Also, IIRC the thing I kept pointing out was that the Pats rely on their LBs, not their line, to make more of the plays - and it was their LB corps that had really lost a step. That was the part that you kept arguing.

I don't see it, Stego. Sure, arm strength is one aspect of a QB's game, but you can't discount it.

Pennington has only played 16 games in the RS once (so injuries are a concern). His best season (2002) was mind-blowing - 3100 yds, 22TDs v. 6 INTs. A 104 QB rating. HUGE! But his numbers since have been pedestrian, and his TD to INT ratio is not as great as you would like from a supposed tp 5 QB (48 TDs v. 40INTs and in each season since 2002, save one, his INT and TD totals have been within one of each other).

He is an accurate passer, I'll give you that.

Here was Pennington's line from last season:

Pennington - 3352 yds, 17TDs, 16INTs, 82.6 Rat.

Other QBs you did not rank in Top 5:

Bulger- 4301 yds, 24TDs, 8INTs, 92.9 Rat.

Romo - 2903 yds, 19TDs, 13INTs, 95.1 Rat. (did not play full season)

Favre- 3885 yds, 18 TDs, 18INTs, 72.7 Rat.

Losman- 3051 yds, 19 TDs, 14 INTs, 84.9 Rat.

E. Manning- 3244 yds, 24 TDs, 18 INTs 77.0 Rat.

McNabb- 2647 yds, 18 TDs, 6INTs, 95.5 Rat. (did not play full season)

Basically, Pennington's numbers are far more analogoues to the men above, than the men below:

P. Manning- 4397 yds. 31 TDs, 9INTs, 101.0 Rat.

Palmer- 4035 yds, 28 TDs, 13INTs, 93.9 Rat.

Brady- 3529 yds, 24TDs, 12INTs, 87.9 Rat. (and his recievers were all midgets, IIRC)

Breese- 4418 yds, 26TDs, 11INTs, 96.2 Rat.

My final point is not the Pennington is bad- merely overrated: he is not nearly as good as his press would indicate. He is a pedestrian QB, not on eof the top 5 (or above, top 10).

As for McNabb, the Eagles lost 4 of the last 5 games he was in. In those games he threw 5 INTS. I don't think his season was going as well as people seem to "remember."

My top 5 QB list is something like:

Peyton

Brady

Palmer

Brees

Bulger

another reason i like the rams in the west this year. Frank Gore is going to get, hurt

I'd normally be outraged by this, but given his past knee troubles, yeah, I'm a little worried. I'm also worried to see if that contract he got will make him less hungry. That happens to players, sometimes.

And I find myself feeling conflicted: on one hand, I feel I should hate the Rams as a Niner fan. On the other hand, I have a burgeoning man-love for SJax that refuses to go away.

Also, IIRC the thing I kept pointing out was that the Pats rely on their LBs, not their line, to make more of the plays - and it was their LB corps that had really lost a step. That was the part that you kept arguing.

Well, since they allowed the second fewest points in the league, and the secondary is a constant weakness (honestly, they started the 3rd and 4th string safeties in the biggest game of the year), and as you point out the LB'ers are losing a step, the DL must have been excellent.

Oh, I wont argue that the LB'ers were a step slower then they were in '03-'04 when they went on the 21 game winstreak, but pretty much anything you will find is a step below that.

Personally I think the problem with it is that the ILB'ers have been absolutely decimated over the last two years. It started in 05 when Johnson retired and Bruschi had a stroke, forcing us to rely on Chad Brown (an OLB) and Beisal (just plain sucked). When Bruschi came back, he was still out of shape, and then last year broke his wrist as well as played out of position in the Sam position, rather then his preferred Will spot. Even still, when they had another true ILB in Seau playing next to him, they really did dominate. When Seau went down, and we had to shift Vrabel, a superb OLB, but medicore ILB and insert the mediocre TBC, it started to go downhill.

However, the current top 5 lb'ers, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin, AD and Seau has to rank as one of the most experianced sets of LB'ers around, something BB has always preferred. And they are a very flexible group, with two able to play both inside and outside and two others able to switch spots on the inside.

If Eric Alexander can come along and become a good cover LB'er, or one of the long term special teams projects like Mays can pan out, or the new draftees (I am interested in seeing Oscar Lua of USC) manage to fill a spot at ILB, they could be pretty damn deadly.

I think the Jets will do about as well this year, assuming that Pennington's arm doesnt fall off again, as they have done in years he stays healthy. They will probably win around 9 games, and if they really catch on fire they might make it to 11 or 12 wins. I give them about a 60% chance of making the playoffs.

I just wanted to throw this out there, something I said last year and was soundly denounced for (by folks using FO stats), that the Pats have the best D line around.

Well, looks like FO agrees here..

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7050132

I have no stats to back this up, but I agree. Watching Wilfork against the Jets last year was very impressive. And Seymour is one of the best at his position. I also like Jacksonville (if they have not lost any of their DL and Carolina is pretty good too)

Edited to add:

Looks like Curtis Martin is going to officially retire.

Wilfork is the best at his position, or at least he was in 2006. I think you had made the argument that they had a really good run defense, but that wasn't true. They had a good run D, but a great pass D, and that it was mostly (again) their LBs that suffered. With Thomas they should gain some of that back, but Samuel hasn't signed yet, has he?

Briggs is still not dealt with. Fucking bears.

Briggs is still not dealt with. Fucking bears.

What else can they do? They've done everything they should have. That being said, I doubt Briggs will hold out the full 10 games before he starts playing. I'm guessing he'll be playing by the second game.

Have they made the "Clements" offer to him yet? i.e. play this year under the franchise tag and the Bears promise not to tag him next year? that would probably be the best solution for both parties (unless the Bears can find a trade they like, but they haven't managed to do that yet so why start now).

I dont give a shit about Briggs, fuck him. Make the baby sit on his ass for a year and not collect his 7.5 million. I dont want him to see a dime. His childish tactics have made him worse then a joke in my eyes. If it was about getting a long term deal, he shouldnt have played roullette by turning down the 2006 offer thinking he would get a better one in 2007. Well guess what douchebag, it aint happening. Badmouth the franchise, publicly demand a trade despitew the fact you gathered little serious interest, but by whining publicaly you cuffed Angelo and basically showed the world how not to handle a contract situation.

Briggs is everything thats wrong with this sports world. He has a chance to win a Superbowl while making 7+ million with the opportunity to get your long term contract on the open market next year. If security was the issue, you blew the chance with the 2006 offer.

Lance Briggs is NOT a once in a lifetime LB who deserves a 65 million dollar deal. He wont get that money, probably, if he does it will end up being a bad deal for the team.

This is immaterial because I bet anything Briggs joins back up with the team before whoever they plug into OLB has a huge year. Its a cushy spot, pure and simple. There is a reason nobody offered anything good for Briggs.

Kalbear,

Al Harris. Todd Bell. Lance Briggs.

My top 5 QB list is something like:

Peyton

Brady

Palmer

Brees

Bulger

I'd normally be outraged by this, but given his past knee troubles, yeah, I'm a little worried. I'm also worried to see if that contract he got will make him less hungry. That happens to players, sometimes.

And I find myself feeling conflicted: on one hand, I feel I should hate the Rams as a Niner fan. On the other hand, I have a burgeoning man-love for SJax that refuses to go away.

i feel a cardboard cut out coming. i don't think bulger gets nearly enough love as a top QB

Fight it. Fantasize about Frank Gore busting through that soft Rams D.

Really? Wow. Sorry. It's a report that the Briggs situation could be resolved as early as the start of Training Camp in a couple days.

One of the biggest questions facing the Bears all off-season has been when linebacker Lance Briggs will end his holdout from training camp.

Maybe it won't even begin.

There were strong indications Tuesday night the two sides either were coming close to an agreement that would end a messy contract dispute or had solved it altogether.

Reached on his cell phone, Briggs said "no comment" when asked if he had agreed to sign the one-year contract tender worth a guaranteed $7.2 million and report on time Thursday to the start of training camp in Bourbonnais.

But earlier in the night a Bears teammate who had spoken with both Briggs and a league source said the linebacker had agreed to sign the deal and avoid a holdout the Bears had been dreading.

Asked about the rumors Briggs had agreed to sign the contract and report on time, the player said, "True."

Among them were believed to be the possibility of paying Briggs a large portion of the $7.2 million up front, which would serve as a smaller signing bonus. The Bears also have offered to rescind the franchise tag on Briggs for 2008 if he agrees to end the impasse and begin what they believe can be a Super Bowl season.

But Zanni - despite a good winning record and taking his team to multiple playoff years, McNabb is and will always be a loser. Whereas Pennington, who has gone to the playoffs twice now and won one game (when he wasn't horribly injured) is a winner.

With McNabb, I was merely going off the cues of his own team. If they think he's done, so do I. Philly has been a top notch organization for eight years now.

As a homer, I wanted to get the board's thoughts and make sure that I am not being delusional. The Cleveland Browns offensive line is now a strength of the team?

LT: Joe Thomas

LG: Eric Steinbach

C: Hank Fraley

RG: LeCharles Bentley

RT: Kevin Shaffer/ Ross Tucker

They are going to need some time to come together, and you may see some shifting position-wise, but the talent here seems ridiculous. If the Gorilla can't gain 1500 yds and 12 TD this year, I'll be shocked.

Edit: Please feel free to dash my hopes now, rather than making me wait until the first 6 games of the season are over.

I still think that Seymour has lost a step and that no one on there is as dominant as some of the other line players. I certainly think they have a good line, but it's not as good as other teams.

-You're wrong about Seymour. I truly believe it's because you misunderstand what his responsibilities are. They are to hold his ground against the teams left tackle (best tackle) and left guard on every play. Or, the left tackle and the tight end. Or in some cases all three. Or tackle, tight end, and fullback. His job is to keep these players off of the linebackers to allow them to make plays. On passing downs, He is to collapse the pocket while keeping everyone inside of himself, so that outside blitzers go free. These responsibilities are normally taken care of by an end and a DT because 99% of the defensive lineman in football can't do what Seymour can. When one takes into consideration that Seymour did this last year at a pro-bowl level with one fucking arm do to a severed bicep, then I think one would be foolish to say he's 'lost a step.'

He's the most dominant defensive player in football, and the best defensive lineman of this generation.

ETA: And by far the best player on the Patriots.

Archived