Goodkind XXIV: Entertaining the Illiterate with Sweeping Epic Themes

ser jon stark

Dick...mouthful...my inner child is getting fed today.

That's not the only thing that's a mouthful! Ha! Where's potsherds, the little tart...

:unsure: Mouthful...mouthful....gags? Sorry dear, I'm just not sure you're kinky enough for me. But the gamer-speak sure is hot. ;)

Word, I respect your temerity in reading Erikson at work. :thumbsup: There ain't nothin' better than Malazan*. :smug:

*But GRRM is pretty good too.

I can't decide between the two possible titles for for the next thread. I like them both equally. :dunno:

"I wonder what's bothering the chickens" is such an awesomely shit opening line, it deserves to be the victorious new thread title. Obviously, this is just my opinion, but as a good Yeardling I know that my opinion > yours, so there.

I always like it when, reading books by proper authors, I find passages that directly contradict Yeardly philosophy. There was a great one in Paul McAuley's Cowboy Angels yesterday - can't remember it exactly, but it was something like "You can't just force your idea of freedom on people, otherwise it's just another form of dictatorship" says the good guy. "Ah, but you're clearly wrong and I'm clearly right, so I win, nyar nyar nyar" says the bad guy. I should learn this off by heart and start quoting it back to the Yeardlings whenever they try to pass off Tairyisms as unanswerable gems of wisdom.

Looking forward to that list, WLU. And, providing my work stays fairly quiet for the next few weeks, I'll make a start on Dick and Zedd's Excellent Adventure...

On Goodkind XXX perhaps, which we should time when Confessor comes out.

I thought we had already agreed that GOODKINDXXX wouldn't need anything added to it to make it a good title.

Word, I respect your temerity in reading Erikson at work. :thumbsup: There ain't nothin' better than Malazan*. :smug:

*But GRRM is pretty good too.

Well I'm only on book five of MBotF whereas I've read and reread ASoIaF at least 4 or 5 times.

Goodkind XXV: Evil Clucking Softly at the Door

Complete with new, bwaaaking action!

:agree:

Well I'm only on book five of MBotF whereas I've read and reread ASoIaF at least 4 or 5 times.

4 or 5 times!? :eek: I've read them only once - though I have been planning a re-read. Too much other stuff to get to first tho. Incidentaly, I thought Midnight Tides was the weakest of the Malazan books. It was still good, but comparatively... :/

:agree:

4 or 5 times!? :eek: I've read them only once - though I have been planning a re-read. Too much other stuff to get to first tho. Incidentaly, I thought Midnight Tides was the weakest of the Malazan books. It was still good, but comparatively... :/

Well until I started coming here I didn't really have a way of finding recommendations for good books. For instance...the first fantasy series I read was Tolkien. Junior year of high school I was in English and we had a substitute and I was bored, so I took two towers off my teachers shelf and was reading it during class. The teacher, instead of reprimanding me, recommended that I read WoT. So then I read that, and I was playing warcraft III one day and a person's name was Fear-Rahvin or some such name. He mentioned to me that if I liked WoT I should read GRRM and GK. I consider this person both a saint and a devil. So then I read those two series, and since I'm not a person who just walks up to a random book and takes it off a shelf, if I feel like reading and there are no new books out of authors I have previously read, I just go back and reread the ones I have already read. The only other fantasy I've really read besides those three is harry gayter, the first 4 MBotF books, and for my birthday two weeks ago my parents bought me Greg Keyes first 3 books so I'll be starting those next. I imagine once I finish those I will venture into Bakker/Lynch territory (and possibly Neil Gaiman). For some reason I've always liked rereading books...maybe it is because sometimes when I read a book I tend to read some parts too fast and miss stuff, or I dunno...but it's just something I do. Example: When DH came out two Saturdays ago, I read the book, didn't really like it, but read it again anyway. And then 1 more time for good measure. I think it may also help that I'm home for the summer and besides work I have absolutely nothing else to do during weekdays. So I basically have the choice between TV, read, or computer games but I'm getting sick of those.

WLU post whatever compilation of GK shit you were talking about.

See, I can't read paperbacks at work (I loathe hardcovers for the size and hardness and increased price) except this week. This week the office contains me and the secretary. But I didn't get any real reading done, because of various other distractions, including being too tired for anything yesterday. However, though I've mined it to death, the Baen free library was a nice resource.

Digging up ebooks of various other stories would be something that makes me happy, though. Often when I don't have anything I want to be working on (real work or otherwise; I've got two D&D campaign settings in design, for example), I end up looking for entertainment on random websites, and usually failing. Some decent books to read would make a nice difference. And wouldn't generally stop me from buying them later.

Midnight Tides paperback is in my next Amazon order (3 books left from current, 5 or so en route from a mini order [had to break the current batch up since there was one book that would take a month to ship]), and after that I'll see about getting non-US editions, because I am not keen on waiting years for each paperback. Since I moved last year, I'm not sure how good the local libraries are. I'm a New Yorker, but I used to live in Queens; the Queens Public Library system has the largest circulation in the country. I'm not sure how the NY Public Library, covering all other boroughs, stacks up. To find various books in Queens shortly after release, I often had to go running around to various branches hoping that the web search saying one was actually at the branch, not checked out, would still be accurate by the time I got there.

Amazon seems to be showing me books related to my purchases, possibly via some sort of IP tracking.

So then I read those two series, and since I'm not a person who just walks up to a random book and takes it off a shelf, if I feel like reading and there are no new books out of authors I have previously read, I just go back and reread the ones I have already read.

I find re-reading books to be fairly tedious. The only series I've been able to take a second trip through was WoT - and that was because after Knife of Dreams I realized that I really had no idea what was going on with the series anymore. So, I re-read them. Still it took me almost a year, and I gave up halfway through Crossroads.

Now, ASoIaF is another one like that. Every time a new book comes along, because of the long wait for them, I find myself to be quite lost for the first couple of hundred pages. They're not, after all, easy books to keep track of. There was so much going on that I almost started taking notes during AGoT. So, where I do want to read them again, I hesitate because, well, I've already read them. But it's been what, 10 years since AGoT...

I went through the Malaz books earlier this year - loved them - and immediately decided to read them again right away. Got through Gardens quickly the second time. But that was like reading a new book, since I was so confused the first time around. Onto DG, and I lost interest about 150 in.

All I'm saying is that it seems odd, to me, to read a book so many times (and within only a few years at that), when there are many other good (and bad) books to discover.

And to get back somewhat on topic, as I mentioned before, I am doing a SoT re-read. Albeit very slowly. These too are like new books to me, since the first time was so long ago. (I gave up after SotF, which took me 2 years to finish. And read FoTF only last year) I had forgotten everything from the earlier books. But still, about 150 in, I don't really care so much about finishing. Of course, that probably more because they're just lousy books.

Edit - for the sake of clarity, I'm not trying to criticize your reading habits.

I vote for: GOODKINDXXV: I wonder what's bothering the chickens?

with "Evil Clucking Softly at the Door" as the subtitle.

GOODKINDXXV: I Wonder What's Bothering the Chickens?

Evil clucking softly at the door.

Do it, do it.

Well, I've been reading the complete WOT series once every winter and every summer for the last 5 years or so (not knife of dreams, of course). But I feel ashamed.

Why be ashamed of that? Re-reads aren't really for me, but I still thought that the first 7 were very well done (yes, I even liked ACoS!). Even since then they've been tollerable, outside of Crossroads that is.

GOODKINDXXV: I Wonder What's Bothering the Chickens?

Evil clucking softly at the door.

I could live with that. Still, I prefer the original version.

Goodkind XXV: Evil Clucking Softly at the Door

Complete with new, bwaaaking action!

Why be ashamed of that? Re-reads aren't really for me, but I still thought that the first 7 were very well done (yes, I even liked ACoS!). Even since then they've been tollerable, outside of Crossroads that is.

I think I've actually read CoT the most out of any of the WoT books. It came out shortly after I had read the first 9 books, so I bought it. When I heard KoD was coming out, I hadn't read any of the books in 3 years or so, and the only one I owned was CoT. So I read CoT like 3 times before KoD came out, then after I read KoD I ended up going out and buying the first 9 books anyway...since I literally had no idea what was going on. I didn't even know there was a difference between the sea folk and the seanchen. Ownt. But yeah I'm pretty sure I've read CoT somewhere around 7 or 8 times which actually made series that much more enjoyable when I went back and read the entire thing. If I can read THAT book that many times, imagine how enjoyable it is when I read a book that doesn't suck donkey dick.

Edit: Crazy, it just said this thread had been viewed 7,777 times. Kinda funny that I happened to look at it at that exact moment.

Archived