Banners and civic emblems of the East

Guest Other-in-Law

Guest Other-in-law

We've gotten a little bit of information on the "flags" of at least one region that doesn't seem to use heraldry as Westerosi do; namely the Ghiscari cities of Slaver's Bay who use differenced version of the Harpy of Ghis as their emblems. It would be interesting to see more along those lines for Qarth, Asshai, the Dothraki, and the nine Free Cities, if they have any such emblems. The Titan seems to be a symbol of Braavos, as the Goat is for Qohor, but do they use then as an official flag? For the other, less familiar Free Cities, this would help to understand what they're all about, in a way.

We've also seen the thunderbolt and crow banner of the Stormcrows company and the broken sword of the Second Sons. The Brave Companions marched under a goat banner, but it's unclear whether that was Vargo Hoat's personal emblem, the banner of Qohor, or that of the Brave Companions. It would be nice to also learn the banners of the Golden Company and the Bright Banners and whatever others might come up; though I suspect we'll at least see the Golden Company during the series itself.

Another thing that I wonder about is costume; we've gotten plenty of good descriptions of how the Dothraki, Qartheen, Summer Islanders and Ghiscari dress, but what about the old Valyrians? Aside from the Targaryens (who mostly adopted Westerosi ways) their culture still feels very unfamiliar.

I'd certainly be interested in these things as well, but I don't expect we'll get too much of it. Maybe some city emblems can show up on an eastern map, but I'd expect we'll get nothing for the sellsword companies beyond what we've already been told.

Guest Other-in-law

If we only got emblems for the Nine Free Cities I'd be happy. Other cultures might use much more alien or abstract graphic symbols for representing themselves, but I would expect the remnants of the old Valyrians to employ something fairly accessible to the Westerosi outlook.

Archived