The Books We're Expecting in 2008

Werthead

The Scott Lynch novellas can't be out in the UK in May 2008, I'm afraid. I've got them tied up for 18 months following their initial publication through SubPress.

Best,

Bill

www.subterraneanpress.com

When are you hoping to publish the subpress versions?

Yes. I'll be picking that one up as well Firgoret. Have you seen the superb cover that Tor had Martiniere do?

http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Babel-Michae...0094&sr=1-1

Bill,

The Scott Lynch novellas can't be out in the UK in May 2008, I'm afraid. I've got them tied up for 18 months following their initial publication through SubPress.

You mean on both the US and UK markets? Seems sort of unlikely Gollancz would list them at all if you had the rights for the UK as well.

When will the Subpress editions be out btw and will your edition be an omnibus as well?

With the way Williams set everything up in Shadowplay, Shadowrise should be good indeed!

But at the speed the author writes, I think it will be released in 2009.

Patrick

Williams can belt out the thousand-pagers when he wants to (Otherland 2-4 were all published at 12-month intervals) and he said in an interview that Shadowplay was delayed because he didn't have a clue what the thing was going to be about when he started Book 2 (normally a problem he has with the first book in a series).

That said, he's older now and this series seems to be giving him more issues than his previous ones, so you're probably right.

Best,

Bill

Wait, you're telling me Amazon got it wrong? Shock! ;)

That's an impressive list of novels by some of my favourite authors. 2008 will be a good year.

Best,

Bill

Makes me happy that I'm on the "first right to refuse"-list. I won't refuse :D

I'm looking forward to these books:

1. The Republic of Thieves by Scott lynch
  2. The Bastard and the Knives
  3. Toll the Hounds
  4. The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
  5. A Memory of Light
  6. Neuropath by Scott Bakker
  7. The Great Ordeal by Scott Bakker
  8. The High Tower by John Scalzi
  9. Inverted World by Cris Priest

I'll probably have to shell out for the Sub Press versions of The Bastard and the Knives since I have their lim. ed. of Lies and an order in for Red Seas. Can't ruin the set, you know. Steven Erikson and Malazan is one of the great highlights of every year and I'll also be wanting his rumored Bauchelin&Broach novella. Rothfuss debut was very impressing and I'm jumping up and down in anticipation of the sequel. If the last book of the Wheel of Time gets a 08 release, I will be thrilled (mostly because it means that I'm finally done with the damn series!). I liked The Android's Dream by John Scalzi, and the follow-up, The High Tower, should also be tons of fun.

Yes. I'll be picking that one up as well Firgoret. Have you seen the superb cover that Tor had Martiniere do?

http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Babel-Michae...0094&sr=1-1

Bill,

You mean on both the US and UK markets? Seems sort of unlikely Gollancz would list them at all if you had the rights for the UK as well.

When will the Subpress editions be out btw and will your edition be an omnibus as well?

Our will be the novellas as individual volumes. Scott hasn't turned the first one in yet, so I can't project a pub date. Gollancz was misinformed as to the status, and thought they were available by May 2008. They won't be.

Ah well, I guess that one books and two novella's in one year what just to good to be true. Too bad. At least we have the third volume of the Gentleman Bastards sequence to look forward to. Does someone knows something about the new Ken Follett (rumoured) to be released next year?

Guest Ser Jaime
Ah well, I guess that one books and two novella's in one year what just to good to be true. Too bad. At least we have the third volume of the Gentleman Bastards sequence to look forward to. Does someone knows something about the new Ken Follett (rumoured) to be released next year?

The new Follett will be released this year. October, to be exact. Title is World Without End, and it's the sequel to The Pillars of the Earth. There's some information about the book at Follett's official site.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ser Jaime

Regarding China Mieville's upcoming novel, the title of the book would seem to suggest that Kraken may be a follow-up to The Scar, but at this point it's pretty much all speculation. We'll have to wait for more information to trickle out before we know for sure.

The Scar is Mieville's best book (in my opinion) and a sequel would definitely be cause for celebration.

The Scar is Mieville's best book (in my opinion) and a sequel would definitely be cause for celebration.

:agree:

Although I enjoyed Iron Council, it felt to me like he kept the weirdness quotient so high it began to distract from the story rather than enhancing it. The Scar, IMHO, got the balance just right. Plus, I loved the mosquito women...

So, yes. Would love to see a sequel.

What books am I lookin foward to in 2008. Well apart from the ones that have already been mentioned the only book I can think of is Mistborn: The Hero of Ages (#3). I know book number 2 isan't out yet but I know that I'm going to love it.

I forgot about mentioning two anthologies that Jeff VanderMeer is editing for 2008: One is the New Weird anthology, the other is that long-awaited pirate one. I do believe I shall be getting both within the first month of release, if not the first few days :D

• 2 weeks later...

Paul Kearney has confirmed he has a new book coming out in summer 2008 called The Ten Thousand. Sounds pretty interesting. He's also confirmed that Solaris are his new publishers and will be issuing the one-volume edition of The Monarchies of God and are also keen on getting the rights to finish off The Sea-Beggars.

• 1 month later...

There are a couple of new authors who will release first novels in the next year that sound pretty interesting. Wizard on the Coast are going to publish a couple of non-tieins next year and of J. M. McDermott's Last Dragon sounds the most interesting of those. The blurb released online describes it as being "in the tradition of Gene Wolfe and Gabriel Garcia Marquez", which sound intriguing, although the author's own description on his blog makes me think more of Hal Duncan. It may suck, but it's worth keeping an eye on at least.

The other first novel is Felix Gilman's Thunderer, which is some sort of New Weird/Steampunk think which Jeff VanderMeer has spoken highly of.

Archived