The Books We're Expecting in 2008

Werthead

I finalised my list as well, in no particular order:

1. R. Scott Bakker - Neuropath (15 May 2008)

2. Steven Erikson - Toll the Hounds (11 August 2008)

3. Ian Cameron Esslemont - Return of the Crimson Guard (11 August 2008)

4. Paul Kearney - Monarchs of Gods (August 2008)

5. Paul Kearney - The Ten Thousand (1 September 2008)

6. Scott Lynch - The Republic of Thieves (Fall 2008)

7. Richard Morgan - A Land Fit for Heroes (21 August 2008)

8. R. Scott Bakker - The Great Ordeal (Fall 2008, January 2009 UK)

9. Scott Lynch - The Bastards and the Knives (Subpress version in 2008, 'normal' release in 2009 probably)

10. George RR Martin - A Dance with Dragons (Late 2008 - early 2009 although listed on Amazon.co.uk for 7 April 2008)

11. Tobias S. Buckell - Sly Mongoose (19 August 2008)

12. Charlie Huston - Half the Blood of Brooklyn (26 December 2007; 7 February 2008 in the UK)

13. Gregory Frost - Shadow Bridge (15 January 2008)

14. Various authors (including George RR Martin)- Inside Straight (22 January 2008)

I am pretty sure I forgot a couple of titles but this is the main bunch I am looking forward to.

The most enjoyable book I read this year won't be out until 2008, so I figure this thread is the right place to mention it.

I was very privileged to get hold of an early draft of "THE WAGES OF GONZO LUBITSCH" by new author Nick Harkaway I'd never met him or corresponded with him, although I hope to put that right next week!

My agent sent me this looking for an opinion. I've never been so jealous in my life. Imagine if Neal Stephenson and Scott Lynch had a naughty lovechild. Amost every page reveals a new moment of hilarity or amazement. I kept thinking, "he's just showing off, this will all just peter out at the end". But no, every playful twist has a genuine part to play in the kick-ass (literally) ending. 'Brilliant' is the only word for it.

Now, all of this is based on one reading of 600 pages of an early draft. And there were some very significant flaws -- which is why I was sent it in the first place. Also, I see no listing of it on Amazon yet. However, I'm putting my money down here and now that this is going to be on every genre awards list under the sun and will delight a certain constituency of this board. Though not everyone -- I'll put a lot of money on that too!

The story is an SF/fantasy blend, btw, with elements of martial arts, mime and mayhem.

Hey, is the sequel to The Inferior still on track for 2008? If so, that's going on the list.

Ah! Good question, Wert. I'm in the middle of a rewrite of (unofficial title) "The Deserter". I should be handing it over to the editor end of January. Barring *major* problems (minor ones are inevitable), then we should be on-track for September-October in the UK. If he does have major problems, however, it may be longer. Personally, I feel very good about this version so far. But you know writers are full of shit.

Luckily, I'm not GRRM and so there are fewer clamourings for my attendance at cons :)

I think if I properly deleted those that are now pretty definite as not coming out my list looks like this:

JANUARY

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

The Vacant Throne by Joshua Palmatier

Breath and Bone by Carol Berg

The Domino Men by Jonathan Barnes

dark Blood by John Meaney

FEBRUARY

A Magic of Twilight by S.L. Farrell

Matter by Iain M. Banks

In a Time of Treason by David Keck

The Red Wolf Conspiracy by Robert Redick

Dark Heart by Russell Kirkpatrick

MARCH

Heroes Adrift by Moira Moore

The Hidden City by Michelle West

Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder

The Shadow Year by Jeffrey Ford

The Philosopher's Apprentice by James Morrow

A World Too Near by Kay Kenyon

Palace of Impossible Dreams by Jennifer Fallon

The Lost Ones by Christopher Golden

APRIL

The Born Queen by Greg Keyes

Judge by Karen Traviss

Shadow Gate by Kate Elliott

Varanger by Cecelia Holland

Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke

MAY

Armed and Magicial by Lisa Shearin

The Shadow Isle by Katharine Kerr (uncertain still apparently)

The Sharing Knife: Passage by Lois McMaster Bujold

Lamplighter by D.M. Cornish

The Kingdom Beyond the Waves by Stephen Hunt

Neuropath by R. Scott Bakker

Iron Angel by Alan Campbell

Carniss Keep by Steph Swainston

JUNE

The Dark Ferryman by Jenna Rhodes

Kushiel's Mercy by Jacqueline Carey

Midnight Never Comes by Marie Brennan

Bloodheir by Brian Ruckley

Hawkspar by Holly Lisle

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

By Schism Rent Asunder by David Weber

Principles of Angels by Jaine Fenn

The Hounds of Ash by Greg Keyes

JULY

Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik

Shadow's Return by Lynn Flewelling

King's Shield by Sherwood Smith

The King's Daughters by Nathalie Mallet

An Autumn by Daniel Abraham

Reading the Wind by Brenda Cooper

Escapement by Jay Lake

The Time Engine by Sean McMullen

Empire in Black and Gold by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Last Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

AUGUST

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

Lord Tophet by Gregory Frost

Flora Redux by Ysabeau Wilce

Cast in Fury by Michelle Sagara (West)

Gale Force by Rachel Caine

Sly Mongoose by Tobias S. Buckell

Ill Met in the Arena by Dave Duncan

Pirate Palace by Karl Schroeder

Winterstrike by Liz Williams

The Steel Remains by Richard K. Morgan

Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski

Toll the Hounds by steven Erikson

Return of the Crimson Guard by Ian Craig Esslemont

SEPTEMBER

Knight Errant by Patricia A. McKillip

The Wild Road by Jennifer Roberson

The Night Whiskey by Jeffrey Ford

Fathom by Cherie Priest

Going Under by Justina Robson

Straws in the Wind by Juliet E. McKenna

Duianfey by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

OCTOBER

Ascent of Demons by Graham Joyce

NOVEMBER

Heir to Sevenwaters by Juliet Marillier

DECEMBER

The Horseman's Gambit by David B. Coe

The Gears of the City by Felix Gilman

Still waiting for the date for Cherryh's Cyteen II which should be out the last quarter (yippee).

US publishers still have most of the July to December left open and uncommitted so plenty of books to add and some no doubt to change even right now. Paula Volsky and PC Hodgell among those rumored to have a 2008 release lined up which has me excited.

Indeed great list, are you not looking forward to the new Scott Lynch books for example? I don't see them listed anywhere, nor the The Great Ordeal by R. Scott Bakker (assuming that you have read PoN that is).

The Hounds of Ash by Greg Keyes

Is that a new a book/series? I have not heard any news about that, up untill now.

And a minor detail, but it is Ian Cameron Esslemont. ;)

Motherfucking Anything by Neal Stephenson.

Does anyone know anything about he's putting out next? Aside from the mini-series adaption of The Diamond Age, I mean. The System of the World hit shelves in 2004, and it's soon to be 2008. And Stephenson of course tends to pump out a new book once every 3-4 years.

Shev

Nope, nothing at all is known about the next Stephenson.

MattD

Man that Summerlong book just keeps getting postponed over and over again. I remember it was slated for 2006 as well. I know the book is written because I saw advabce reviews of it last year already. Must be contract problems of some sort.

Lawrence

Couple of things:

Bakker's book is due in the Fall at the very earliest. UK date is January 2009. Bastard and the Knives does not come out next year in the UK. Possibly there may be a US release but only Bill Schaefer from Subpress could tell you that. Republic of Thieves is also a Fall date according to Scott.

Gyre

The Night Whiskey by Jeffrey Ford

Are you sure this comes out in September? I'd be interested in that.

Indeed great list, are you not looking forward to the new Scott Lynch books for example? I don't see them listed anywhere, nor the The Great Ordeal by R. Scott Bakker (assuming that you have read PoN that is).

Is that a new a book/series? I have not heard any news about that, up untill now.

And a minor detail, but it is Ian Cameron Esslemont. ;)

Going in reverse:

Craig versus the real Cameron ---- Now I am wondering what I was reading. watching or whatever that had me with Craig on my mind.

The Keyes book is a collection of stories being printed in the US by

I don't have Bakker listed because so far the only known scheduled date for The Great Ordeal is in 2009. Overlook might publish earlier than Orbit as they have in the past which would make it a 2008 release and an immediate addition to the list, but until then, it remains enough in doubt to stay off.

As for Lynch? Yuck. I will probably read the third one just to feel superior as I'm pretty sure that between Gollancz and Bantam I'll get a free copy. I guess I am looking forward to his novella collection just to see how he approaches that form as I think some authors, Martin included, actually are better when contrained by length.

Are you sure this (re: The Night Whiskey) comes out in September? I'd be interested in that.

Another collection apparently and a cover mock up and different imprint than his The Shadow Year, so I think it is as likely as about a third of the other books on my list. I think if I am remembering correctly, most if not all is previous published stuff so it probably is an easy publish.

I thought The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson didn't come out until August. So that's great news!

Well another listing I have puts the book as late as Oct/Nov but I'm going with the most current Tor info I have which still could be horrendously wrong.

I am amazed. You must keep a list but even so that is a near fanatical author stalking. Or is there a place where this is aggregated?

Well Locus and Amazon are both take all of five minutes to persuse. Promotional packets from the major scifi imprints doesn't hurt. But fanatical? I traded five stocks, shifted half a trust and did my quarterly taxes while I typed up this list all while watching the most recent episode of Pushing Daisies. Its not really rocket science or some kind of arcane apocrypha that needs to be translated.

But yes, I do like to have an idea when books come out since I do like to read and its pretty silly to expect someone else to figure it all out for me. Let alone depend on someone else to have the same tastes or interests on the same exact scale that I do. But what you call fanatical I think is just plain common snese. No more obsessive than opening a tv guide to find out what programs are on or keeping a datebook so scheduling conflicts don't exist or figuring out what I need before I head out to the store.

Night Shade's Schedule from November 07 to august 08 shows nothing of the Beagle book. But it might be that since it was last scheduled for release in sept, it just wasn't included. I'd send them an email, squeaky wheel and all.

Was Stephenson the one who took the visiting professor gig at Cornell (or was it Brown?). For some reason I thought he was offered something like that for a year's time and if so, he might just have gotten back to writing this summer at the earliest if the position was as time consuming as I would expect (or am I thinking of another author?).

And as fantatical as the list may be, it is hardly comprehensive of my own probable reading as there were plenty fo books that I left off that if I receive a free arc will read that I otherwise would not. And a few I know I will succumb to on impulse that I now think I will not bother to read.

Paula Volsky and PC Hodgell among those rumored to have a 2008 release lined up which has me excited.

Do you know who will be publishing Hodgell, now that Meisha Merlin is no longer in business?

And yes, I've wondered what was going on with Summerlong; thanks for checking!

Lawrence

Couple of things:

Bakker's book is due in the Fall at the very earliest. UK date is January 2009. Bastard and the Knives does not come out next year in the UK. Possibly there may be a US release but only Bill Schaefer from Subpress could tell you that. Republic of Thieves is also a Fall date according to Scott.

Okay thanks for the heads up, I based my information on that I got from Amazon (The Bastard and the knives is still listed for a 2008 release - should have known Amazon is waaay off). I am not planning picking up the Subpress version, the novellas are not that important to me to justify spending more money on it than a regular hardback. I will adjust the publication dates in my post (and on my blog). By the way Cali, do you know about any good dutch fantasy releases in 2008? Or is it still crap and not even worth looking at? :P

The Keyes book is a collection of stories being printed in the US by

Collection of (older) stories he wrote in the past years or possibly some new material related to Kingdoms or his Newton series?

Do you know who will be publishing Hodgell, now that Meisha Merlin is no longer in business?

Baen has the rights to the next book as well as her backlist. I hardly ever buy stuff from Baen but it looks like this might change with the picking up of Hodgell and Lee & Miller. I was hoping they would also pick up Laura J. Underwood as I want to read the conclusion of her duology that got stranded. And there never was any word that MM was publishing the next Wurts book so I have no idea where that leaves the US publication for Stormed Fortress; though as Voyager has downgraded her books to trade paperback only and her sales in the UK were alway much stronger than in the US, I would not be surprised if US publishers wait until she actually finishes the series (no matter how many arcs she claims to finish, the series is dangling like participle in a George W. Bush speech) before any decide risk her work again. She already went through a couple of imprints at Penguin until they pretty much gave up on her it seems.

Collection of (older) stories he wrote in the past years or possibly some new material related to Kingdoms or his Newton series?

From what I can tell, it is a collection that centers on a single character. I don't think it is related to either of the two series you mention. It might have ties to his first duology as it looks to either have a strong Native American inspiration or be based on actual Native American legends and myths. Amazon has it listed and the cover image up.

I don't have many anticipated 2008 releases. Two that come to mind are Gene Wolfe's novella, Memorare, that may be out in January, if not before the end of this month, as well as Tobias Buckell's short story collection. Those are two limited-editions that I really, really want.

Wolfe's An Evil Guest if it's edited/released by the end of the year, as the premise sounds interesting. A few sequels to books I enjoyed earlier. Already read Neuropath back in Feb. 2006, but I'll certainly buy a hardcover copy if I can't get a freebie. A few collections that Jeff VanderMeer is editing.

But I suspect some of my favorites will be by authors I won't discover until some way into 2008 itself. In the meantime, I still have an awesome backlist of books to re-read and to explore in more depth :D

I wonder if we'll get the new Christopher Priest in 2008. Whilst lengthy gaps between his books are commonplace, I don't think he's gone more than five years between publications before (The Separation, a superlative work, came out in 2003).

The Gentleman Bastard novellas I believe are coming out late next year. Whenever they come out, Gollancz will publish their edition about 18 months later.

Lawrence

the way Cali, do you know about any good dutch fantasy releases in 2008? Or is it still crap and not even worth looking at?

Well I know I like the idea they are having of publishing succesful German authors who do traditional epic Fantasy. For instance they have translated Markus Heitz' The Dwarves trilogy in Dutch and it is quite succesful here. In fact there is even an English edition coming out in April from Orbit.

Also, there's an author called Bernhard Hennen who has done a trilogy simply called The Elves, of which the first one is a 600 pager due in January. I'll be picking that up as well as it sounds like an intriguing take.

They've also translated Lynch, Rothfuss and Ruckley, but not Mark Ferrari, Joe Abercrombie or Scott Bakker. As you know Steven Erikson and JV Jones were no success.

Archived