Art news from the Comic-Con

sticks

I dropped by Justin Sweet's booth at the San Diego Comic-Con the other day. He told me he was going to be doing some artwork in it, particularly a painting of Sandor Clegane.

He also informs me that Ted Naismith will be including some artwork as well for landscapes.

If you're lucky enough to see the guy, ask to see his roughs portfolio for Fevre Dream. Lots of beautiful Coll-like preliminary and finished drawings.

I also asked him what it was like to work with George RR Martin himself. He says he now counts Martin as a friend and that he's great to work with.

As far as I'm informed - little birds, you see - Ted Nasmith is painting the strongholds of the Great Houses and the great cities of Westeros. He showed me recently the very snowy Winterfell and extremely gigantic Harrenhal against a red-glowing horizon. Very nice stuff, indeed. At least the pictures in this books are going to be great ;-).

Currently he's working on a picture of Dragonstone.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw the words 'artist', 'Sweet' and 'working on the Ice and Fire book' in the same post. Thankfully it is not Daryl Sweet, so mocked for the covers of WoT.

And as long as Ted isn't doing any human faces, that's fine. His Tolkien work is generally pretty good, but some of his faces are generally poor IMHO.

Aratan

Could we assume that it was Nasmith's work you were talking about?

We've seen two very nice paintings depicting certain locales from one of the contracted artists. One of them we think is especially choice, and the other is surprising in one of the details (which we aren't strictly sure is part of the artist's interpretation -- it is, looking over the material again, a perfectly valid interpretation of the text -- or if it's something from GRRM).

I wonder wether the surprising details are in Winterfell or in Harrenhal... :dunno:

Just have to say I'm extremely pleased that Nasmith is in and that he's doing the castles, that is going to be very much worth our time. The man does architecture like no one else in Fantasy.

THB,

Yep, that would be Nasmith's work I was remarking on. See the latest entry on the news sidebar -- Nasmith will likely post images of four of the paintings on his site at some point.

• 3 months later...

Absolutely amazing I want moooree!! (We just need Riverrun, Casterly Rock, Sunspear and Highgarden!!)

Yeah, I think it's interesting seeing Harrenhal as having a direct exit to the God's Eye. Surprising, at least. I'm not sure I buy it, since I guess if that had been the case someone might have mentioned it, buy it's a possibility.

Winterfell, The Eyrie, Oldtown and King's Landing are all brilliant. I absolutely love them. The Shading for the wall in Castle Black is also very nice. I don't like Dragonstone a lot (too unrealistic IMO).

Wow. Really great stuff from Nasmith. I can't decide which one I like the most.

Wait, Harrenhal has a gate on the lake? Wicked.

I think I might be as excited for the World of Ice and Fire book as I am for DwD. Well, almost anyway. ;)

• 11 months later...

Archived