The Dog Days of August Readings

Larry.

The Dog Days are here, with the scorching heat and humidity greeting many of us. What are you reading to keep yourself cool?

My list:

To Finish:

Ignacio Padilla, La Gruta del Toscano

Michel Foucault, language, counter-memory, practice

John Klima (ed.), Logorrhea

Vergil, Aeneid (Latin)

Fulton J. Sheen, Life of Christ

Daniel Abraham, The Shadow in Summer

Ildefonso Falcones, La cathedral del mar

To Read:

Catullus, The Complete Catullus (bilingual)

Alison Goodman, Killing the Rabbit

Brandon Sanderson, Mistborn; Mistborn: The Well of Ascension

Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber

Patricia McKilip, Riddle-Master: The Complete Trilogy

José María Arguedas, Los ríos profundos

Peter Watts, Blindsight

Adam Roberts, Salt

Charles C. Mann, 1491

Don DeLillo, White Noise

Neil Gaiman, Stardust

Jeffrey Ford, The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque

Sarah Monette, The Mirador

And you?

I'll be reading some of Brandon Sanderson, definitely the Peter Watts one.

Charles Stross' The Atrocity Archives

Jennifer Fallon's The Lion of Senet

The rest of the JV Jones series'

The Electric Church by Jeff Somers

Finally getting around to Scott Lynch's Red Seas... and Joe Abercrombie's Book 2 (forget it's name)

Some Peter F. Hamilton & Philip K. Dick

And maybe a bit more :) Whenever it comes along!

Planned for this month are:

Selected portions from War of the Jewels by JRR Tolkien.

Slaves of the Shinar- Justin Allen ( new historical fantasy from Overlook).

Planet Hulk collected edition- Greg Pak.

Slaves of the Shinar- Justin Allen ( new historical fantasy from Overlook).

I'll be very interested to learn how this turns out. I've been eyeing it at the book store for the past week, but haven't worked up the courage to buy it. I really hate to gamble on hardcovers, and I haven't been able to find any reviews on it.

Anyway, for myself:

Red Seas Under Red Skies - Lynch

The Name of the Wind - Rothfuss

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Clarke

House of Leaves - Danielewski

Doctor Zhivago - Pasternak

I'll probably not get to them all this month. And I'm not really decided on the order yet, exept Red Seas which I've already started.

On the last few pages of The Once and Future King (T. H. White). I should finish that on today's train ride home.

Just got my Red Seas Under Red Skies (Scott Lynch) in the mail yesterday, so that's next for train-reading.

For bedtime-reading, I started The Golden Compass (Philip Pullman) a few days ago. If it's good, I'll continue with the rest of His Dark Materials.

Not sure what's next after that... Maybe I'll try to tackle The Dragonbone Chair (Tad Williams) again. I had a hard time getting started; I stopped around 100 pages in, thinking to get back to it later, but I haven't been too enthused to do so.

The Dark River (John Twelve Hawks) is also on my plan-to-read list.

That might be it for August.

I saw Stardust on your list for which I have seen a couple previews of a movie lately and I'm curious...is this book pretty good? When I saw the trailer I just figured since I had not heard of the movie before that it must not be very good. Since then, I have read a couple user reviews on IMDB who said it was a good movie and surprisingly poorly marketed (hence the reason I had never heard of it until like a week ago). I've never read any Neil Gaiman, but are his books something I should think about checking out? Also now I'm actually thinking about seeing the movie, but I mean if the books are bad I wouldn't bother seeing the movie.

Neil Gaiman is very much worth looking into, even if not everyone is going to be a particular fan of his style. Stardust was the only major novel of his to date that I haven't read (I'll read it in a couple of days), but the fan feedback that I've received elsewhere hints that it's a good adaptation of the fairy tale motif. I too am surprised at how poorly-marketed the movie has been, as it seems that Gaiman himself has done the majority of promotion for it via occasional mentions on his blog. Guess it'll be wait and see. If only I could be elsewhere, watching this - I hate the thought of watching movies in a theater alone.

Halfway through this book called Amber. Apparently a very popular book when it debuted 50 or so years ago, though I'd never heard of it, and it was banned for being immoral which is always a good start. :P It's about a prostitute in England during Charles II. I'm really enjoying it - however, I don't think I've ever read a book with a more detestable main character. She's really just a horrible, horrible person. Yet I can't put the book down.

Just finished the first part of the Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Bakker, The Darkness That Comes Before. I reviewed it over at my regular website. First impressions of R. Scott Bakker as a writer are very positive. I can certainly recommended to any fan of epic fantasy, or fantasy as a genre itself for that matter. The books does contain some graphic violence and sex, so it might not be appealing to everyone but luckily it certainly does not decrease the quality of writing in any way, as for characterisation of his characters, I say Bakker is amongst the best. Especially his male characters.

Now I decided against moving on with the series, just because it a such a heavy read, instead I opted for The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, which should prove hopefully as equally entertaining as tDtcB. Next up after that will be Twilight Falling by Paul S Kemp, which also managed to stir my interest.

Reading time is dwindling and should bottom out in a about 2 months, but I still get in a bit on most nights. So I'll not be reading near as many books as I'd like.

I'm currently reading The New Space Opera edited by Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan.

I'll probably move on to Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley

If time permits I'll also take a shot at one or two of the following:

D.A. by Connie Willis

Ragamuffin by Tobiais Buckell

The Dark River by John Twelve Hawks

The Execution Channel by Ken Macleod

The Electric Church by Jeff Somers

The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

The Orc King by R.A. Salvatore

Storm Dragon by James Wyatt

Too much to choose from (a good thing), so I'll pick by what mood I'm in.

I have no idea yet. I'm still trying to finish AFFC. It's just plodding for me, but I know I have to read it to understand ADWD.

I would like to read the Lies of Locke Lamora. I've not read that yet.

I don't get to read much in the summer...

I started Facts of Life by Graham Joyce yesterday. I'm about 40 pages in and am enjoying it so far.

This month I'm planning to read:

A Dangerous Man and Six Bad Things by Charlie Huston

Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Routhfuss

and time permitting something sci-fi maybe Ragamuffin or Moving Mars

Yes, word, you should read Neil Gaiman. My favorite of his (novels) is still Neverwhere, but I also really enjoyed American Gods, Anansi Boys, and Good Omens. Stardust is OK, but it's been about 10 years since I read, and I don't remember it that well.

In an ideal world, where I actually have enough extra time to read, I would be reading:

both Scott Lynch novels

the new Tobias Buckell novel, Ragamuffin

the new Jackie Carey novel, Kushiel's Justice

some short story and novella anthologies that have been sitting on my shelf, like forever

I would be rereading Donaldson's seven Thomas Covenant novels in preparation for the release of the eight book this fall

a reread of the fun and charming Stardust by Neil Gaiman before the movie comes out

I would be starting The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher

I would be reading more books in Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Other World series - I read the first one, Bitten and was nicely surprised at how good it was

How much of any of these I can find time to read - your guess is as good as mine. :)

I think I'll definitely have to pick up Neil Gaiman apparently. I also find it kind of funny that I didn't even realize at first that him and I have the same first name. Is that wierd that I didn't notice that immediately, especially since Neil isn't the most common name in the world.

Currently reading C. S. Friedman's Feast of Souls, and will resume reading Thiong'o's Wizard of the Crow when I begin working again tomorrow.

After that, I'll probably go for Sanderson's The Well of Ascension. . .

Patrick

Archived