NY/NJ Meetup?

naz

Have fun, you guys! Bring cameras, and post lots of pictures, please! And a tip (if you have not already done so): be sure to exchange cel phone numbers, just in case the location changes or people have trouble finding the place.

:cheers:

You guys are all just a bunch of copycats. And I have to say it is so New Jersey of you to picnic in a salt marsh.

In the interest of Knightly honor, it's proper to disclose that it is worse than that. The entire area that is now Liberty State Park was originally underwater and tidal mudflats. After the Civil War the Central Railroad Company of New Jersey filled in the mudflats with garbage to create a huge space for passenger and freight yards. The resultant odors during the lengthy fill process resulted in the "so-called" garbage war fought in the courts and political arena. The railroad prevailed and when it discontinued operations there in the 1970's the State purchased the land for today's park.

So yeah... unless the salt marsh, landfill and certain hippie west-coasters <ahem> have got you down about this otherwise very nice park, I assume we're all good to go? Haven't received very many confirms, but... uh.. I'll assume you guys are ok with it.

To clarify, yes... the picnic area is in the extreme south end of the park, which you can see on the maps in the links above. If you're coming by light rail and taking the shuttle loop through the park, just ask the driver to drop you off at the picnic area. It's also not a long walk, if you want. I'll try to rummage up some kind of not-banner or balloons as a marker and I'll also give everyone my cell # by PM.

We also need to work out who's going to bring what. Here's a prelim. list:

I can bring the following things (since I'm driving and don't live far):

-A small hibachi-type grill and charcoal (although if anyone else has one, they can bring it too...)

-Non-alcoholic beverages

-Vegetarian grilling food (for me and TC and anyone else who feels like going veggie)

-Picnicky supplies (tablecloth, paper plates, cups, etc, blankets to spread)

-As many lawn chairs as I can muster

Things you guys can bring:

-Alcoholic beverages

-Grilling meat and other foods (salads, corn-on-the-cob, pies, snacks, etc)

-Anything recreational (frisbees, football, soccer ball, whatever)

-Anything else

Please post if you plan on bringing anything so we don't double up.

We'll be bringing homemade potato salad and... maybe some snacks. Assuming we don't get stuck on the turnpike.

Any suggestions for non-turnpike, lower traffic routes from the south? SO had to drive to NYC today on a family errand and was complaining major congestion between exits 8 to 10 on the turnpike. (yeah, we'd both been in midwest for many years and were spoiled that way).

Hmmmmm... well, I do own a freesbe, although I'm using it to put my plant on right now. I also own a small ball that says TMNT...

So, I guess I get to bring something edible/drinkable (too). If I make it to IKEA this Saturday I'll buy a bunch of Swedish snacks. Other than that I have no idea so if someone wants to assign something for me to bring that'd be cool.

Also, what happens if it rains?

Any suggestions for non-turnpike, lower traffic routes from the south? SO had to drive to NYC today on a family errand and was complaining major congestion between exits 8 to 10 on the turnpike. (yeah, we'd both been in midwest for many years and were spoiled that way).

Honestly, on a Sunday morning going north, you probably won't have much traffic and the Turnpike will be your best bet. If not, you can try Route 1 (which is sometimes an alternative if there's heavy Turnpike traffic).

Also, what happens if it rains?

I figured if it rains, we can meet up at a bar or restaurant in Hoboken or JC. Or we can do some indoor activity until the rain stops. Like visit the Liberty Science Center, go bowling at Chelsea Piers, or just cancel the whole deal if we know in advance and make a rain date. Unless someone has a better idea. (Frankly, I'm not very good at planning these things, as is clearly evident.)

What about some of our other NY boarders? Are you all afraid of Jersey or something? :)

We promise not to pour any toxic sludge down your pants.

Dude, you're doing a good job (and stepping up like hell). I've gotta think of something to bring (I may have booze, but as I'm underage, I don't feel too comfortable driving around with it).

Oh, concerning the alternate route stuff previous, despite my snarky comment about the turnpike, it's not really that bad. Route 1, on the other hand, I actually do despise.

I am coming too...I need a day off and a day away.

Meat wise, are people burger and dogs fans? I could bring these (and buns/rolls) Just need an idea of how many people we're talking about.

I'll also bring taco dip & chips and brownies and whatever else I feel the mood for ;)

(the taco dip is vegetatian, btw :) )

Awesome, Lany. Whatever you bring I'm sure will be fine. So far, 8 ppl confirmed... I'd wait until Fri/Sat before making an actual count. (If you guys are bring friends, SO's - please let us know; Bellis, I know you did already.)

Btw, I'll also be bringing a cooler filled with ice, a 5-gallon beverage cooler (the kind with a spigot) and these special cold bags that keeps thing frozen for 2 hrs without ice.

Rots, don't risk it - I'm guessing other folks can bring enough booze. If not, we can always get more at the time - liquor stores are in abundance nearby. Since you're driving, maybe we can meet up beforehand at my place and you can stow some things in your car? Actually, if you can get 3-4 bags of ice on your way, that would great, too.

One more thing: Is it possible on this board to send a PM to multiple people? I don't see any clearcut way to do it, but it might just be as simple as comma-separation.

Awesome, Lany. Whatever you bring I'm sure will be fine. So far, 8 ppl confirmed... I'd wait until Fri/Sat before making an actual count. (If you guys are bring friends, SO's - please let us know; Bellis, I know you did already.)

Btw, I'll also be bringing a cooler filled with ice, a 5-gallon beverage cooler (the kind with a spigot) and these special cold bags that keeps thing frozen for 2 hrs without ice.

Rots, don't risk it - I'm guessing other folks can bring enough booze. If not, we can always get more at the time - liquor stores are in abundance nearby. Since you're driving, maybe we can meet up beforehand at my place and you can stow some things in your car? Actually, if you can get 3-4 bags of ice on your way, that would great, too.

One more thing: Is it possible on this board to send a PM to multiple people? I don't see any clearcut way to do it, but it might just be as simple as comma-separation.

Yeah, that'd work... where dyou live again? I can definitely pick up some ice on my way, need to figure out what else. Bagels and cream cheese? :P

Archived