Meet-up in Galway, 25-27 April 2008

zakalwe7

I was starting to feel slightly overwhelmed by making a decision as to which places to stay at/things to see/etc. So I decided to take advantage of my AAA membership and called their travel agency for some input.

The lady called me back with flight info (that I already knew, and hadn't asked for) and a website that lists B&B's in Ireland. *facepalm* There are A LOT of B&Bs in Ireland, you know! Which is why I was hoping for something a tad more specific...like places they recommend/have membership discounts for...that sort of thing. *sighs* I'm going to go get a map and some darts--much more effective, lol!

(And, just for clarity, I'm talking about things we could do/places to stay for the week after the meet, as we want to make a proper vacation out of this trip.)

I think I'm a probable now. :huh: But I've booked the time off work anyway. I just need a PA to sort out my personal/work/academic calendar for the year and book all my flights/hotels/hostels and shit.

Get ten to do it. She sorted out my flight for Amsterdam and now Galway. All I had to do was book my seat. :P

Get ten to do it. She sorted out my flight for Amsterdam and now Galway. All I had to do was book my seat. :P

Do you think she'd also plan our trip if I asked nicely/pleaded with big, puppy dog eyes/offered bribes?

Do you think she'd also plan our trip if I asked nicely/pleaded with big, puppy dog eyes/offered bribes?

I love planning holidays - even if they're not my own :) and big, puppy dog eyes get me every time but it's the bribes that would really do it ;)

Just to give you some ideas Regina, here is a map (showing Connemara) and here is a more detailed map of Ireland. Ireland is a small island, so you should be able to wonder around quite easily from site to site. But since you are heading to Galway anyhow, I would concentrate on the West of Ireland (which is the province of Connacht). That leads one into the Top 10 things to see in Connacht. A lot of the things mentioned are in Connemara, so that's why I wanted to give you an idea of where it was in relation to Galway.

You could probably spend all your non-Galway time visiting those destinations but if you are entering Ireland via Shannon, the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher are worth seeing also. While if you enter via Dublin, you could spend a day or so seeing some stuff around the city also.

It's worth spending your holiday in B&Bs. They probably give you a better feel of Irish life than boring hotels (although you could find interesting hotels also). I'd be tempted not to worry about booking in advance and just expect to easily find places with vacancies during the end of April period. Its not high season. That would give you maximum flexibility and you could wander around at your leisure. But that's just me. Drafting up holidays isn't my strong suit. :P

Although I do know that at the airports when you arrive, there is always a free tourist centre, which offers you as much advice as you could want on what to do.

And yay to Mormont/Ten/Anubiel etc :)

Although Isis... "I think I'm a probable now. :huh: " Is that meant to be a smile? :P

*stares at Tenalpia with big, puppy dog eyes* *also offers a drink as bribe* :cheers:

Pod--Thanks for that post! I think I mostly need help narrowing things down, as there is just too much to do, lol.

Can the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren be done as a day trip (possibly at the very beginning or end of our trip, assuming we fly in and out of Shannon)? Or should we plan to spend a night or two in the area (maybe around Doolin)?

Basically, at this point I think we're deciding between heading north from Galway towards Clifden, or south into Co. Clare. Or some combination, lol.

Or should we plan to spend a night or two in the area (maybe around Doolin)?

the Burren is worth a day all by itself, and at the time you're going, there should be many plants in bloom, it becomes an international destination for those who find all things flora interesting and beautiful. The Burren has a range of flora that is remarkable. Might be a little more crowded than other times of the year.

If you like taking photos, the Burren will give you landscapes, dolmens, flora and all sorts of beauty to capture. Great place for walking, and enjoying the outdoors if the weather is agreeable. Of course, the first time I went to the Burren is was early September, pissing rain, and there were gale force winds coming in from the coast. Loved every minute, although many of my photos have raindrops obscuring the lens.

Cliffs of Moher - incredible experience. Got knocked down by the winds! Stay away from the edges, really, they can crumble, or you can get blown off balance.

All worth visiting if you've got the time.

Doolin is a wonderful town, a center of traditional music, just make sure you're not going there during a music fest, unless you want to be in the middle of a fest, and it might be smart to book rooms in Doolin before you travel.

PS - B&Bs often good value, But if you're considering staying a week and doing touring, you might want to consider a 'self catering cottage'. You'll get a better rate spread out over a week, have a kitchen and laundry room to use, and won't have to pack up your bags every day to move on. We used a couple of cottages last year, and it was a wonderful experience, plenty of privacy, space, and very restful to just stay in one place and go out from there during the day. Check the Irish tourism sites for links to self catering cottages services for more information.

Yup. Great ideas from Parris. She knows Ireland a lot better than I do. ;) The BwB grabbed a self-catering cottage in the west of Ireland in days of yore actually. We were touring around Clare, so it worked out very well. If you want to visit many different counties, it mightn't be as good, although Ireland is a small island, especially compared to the US!

I know of a great hostel just outside Doolin check it out.

It's a good place to start anyway and they see you right for horseriding or walking tours of the Burren, trad music, stiory telling and loads of Guinness and Whisky :)

You would be welcome in Leitrim, which is I think , one of the most beautiful areas of Ireland. There are lakes, forest parks, passage tombs and cairns, pubs with diddly dee, and it;s on the way to Dublin. In fact you could do CLare, Galway, Leitrim, Meath - to see Newgrange and Bru na Boyne, then Dublin for the museums and that, or you could go up to Donegal and the North from Leitrim, taking in tonnes more ancient stuff ( Giant's causeway, Emain Macha, a very freaky rope bridge , the marbe arch caves, ) as well as some breathtaking landscape and the awesomeness of Belfast.

Just some ideas. You would be very welcome to stay with me in Galway or Leitrim and I could send you on to friends and possibly tourguides as well. Sarah in Dublin, springs to mind immediately.

Anyhoo, that's what I think :thumbsup:

Walked past the Sleepzone today and rudely stuck my head up against a window. The dorms seem very clean and comfortable, if a bit small. Although the only dorm I've only ever slept in was the Bulldog in Amsterdam and that was bloody huge, so my standards may be too high here ;) Otherwise it looks great. I should have gone in and asked about discounts for large parties. I'll try and do that next week.

Although Isis... "I think I'm a probable now. :huh: " Is that meant to be a smile? :P
It just means I am continually confused by all the stuff I need to book asap. But yeah, I can stretch to a smile. :)

for those who are visiting Ireland with an intent to stay for a few days more, the one guide book I rec is the Rough Guide. Unlike Fodors, RGs cover a lot of issues that are important to younger people, people who like the unusual, people who aren't out to spend $300 a night for a room. Much more practical for Bros and others who want to spend more time doing interesting things than just spend money and see the top ten tourist sites in any given country.

Archived