Board running insanely slow

Werthead

As in taking upwards of 2-3 minutes to load some pages, but then loading up some others absolutely fine. I thought it was just the computers in our new house (both Macs have the same problem) but it's been mentioned by others on LJ as well and other web pages are fine.

:(

I have it on Firefox as well. The pages get as far as one of the scripts from Amazon, and then all I see at the bottom is "Waiting for www.assoc-amazon.com..." and it just hangs. I end up stopping and reloading the page later, usually.

[ETA: I've followed some online instructions to redirect any calls to assoc-amazon.com to 127.0.0.1 using the hosts file, but I'm not quite sure if it is working as expected or not.]

I've had to block Amazon a long time ago because of this. And even so yesterday I've had a couple of dodgy pages (slowish, not insanely slow)

I had to recommend Firefox and Adblock yesterday to another boarder (with manual blocking of amazon ads), simply in order to access the board at all, unfortunately.

Its very odd, because while I have seen the occasional slow-down from the amazon ad in the sidebar, it happens very rarely. Is this something people see every time, or intermittently? If its all the time, there must be something else going on, since its not affecting everyone.

I turned off Adblock for a few days to see what people were talking about and, sure enough, there were times when it was very very slow. Intermittent, but often enough to be a pain (I'll guess maybe 4-5 times a day). Same "assoc-amazon" message. As soon as I enabled Adblock again, problem went away.

I haven't experienced this problem on the board, but a year ago I had a problem with my pc running slow and locking up. Eventually I found that a toolbar that had been downloaded with a program was not cooperating with my browser toolbar. When it was removed everything was back to normal.

Its very odd, seeing that it seems to vary from person to person how often it shows up.

Taking it up with Amazon is, unfortunately, pretty pointless. They don't listen to individual sites. We posted on their forums, but only one or two people reported something similar.

I am pondering if there's anything else that might be affecting this, but no good ideas so far.

I have had the problem too at times. I think it is the ad banner at the top. Right now it is is Google and doesn't cause any trouble but isn't it amazon at times? Anyway, I usually have it blocked and have had less trouble with the board since. BTW, I just tried a few browsers and Opera's "error console" shows a number of syntax errors.

• 1 month later...

My browser is stalling on 80% of the page loads at www.assoc-amazon.com. I had to stop the loading and reload about 6 to 7 times to get a page to load properly. I just noticed this problem today when I logged on about 20 min ago.

System: OSX.3, latest Mozilla

My browser is stalling on 80% of the page loads at www.assoc-amazon.com. I had to stop the loading and reload about 6 to 7 times to get a page to load properly. I just noticed this problem today when I logged on about 20 min ago.

System: OSX.3, latest Mozilla

Wasn't the board down for about 3 or 4 hours today? Could it be related to that? The board was lagging terribly for me as well, on trying to load all that amazon crap.

Archived