Board running insanely slow

Werthead

Board was down for unknown reasons and, obviously, is now back up.

Those advocating ad blocking software for those occasions where certain ads slow the board to a crawl: please, please consider using them responsibly. The ads help with some of the cost of maintaining the board. If the board is operating just fine for you, don't make use of such a thing. Don't just put on ad blocking permanently.

It's true that sometimes a particular set of ads do just slow things to a crawl. This is not, obviously, an every day occurance, so again ... please think twice about the issue when you're on the board, and if you must use such software, use it when you need it for viewing the board rather than just leaving it on by default.

I think I just downloaded this, I was looking for the last one of these Board Is Slow threads 'cause I'm pretty sure I got it from there (Bellis I think) but I can't find it. I think that's the one though.

Is there one for Internet Explorer? I don't use Firefox because it messes with the FM Writer's chat.

LB,

I definitely have no complaint with that. Just wanted to make sure people kept it in mind that the ads are useful to everyone (i.e. keeping the board going), and if on occasion there's problems, it's not typically the case. So ... if people would be so kind as to occasionally check to see whether ad blocking is really necessary or not, it'd be much appreciated by everyone, I expect. :)

The discussion board of westeros.org is still running slow. It was bad last night and is just as bad tonight. I can manage to get to a thread page if I refresh 3-4 times. This has been happening every 3-4 days now for about the past two weeks. Is it the ads?

It may be. Amazon seems to be having some trouble. As noted, there are things you can do to deal with it during those times when it's a problem.

ETA: It's not the ads, and I'm guessing it's on your end. I've just tested and things seem to be loading fine for me, at least. No one else has reported anything today.

We've gotten in touch with Amazon.com regarding the ad issue. They seem to be taking the issue quite seriously, and indicate that they're hoping to do something that will resolve that problem. In the interim, they've said that it'd actually be fine if we modified the javascript involved in serving the ad. Our idea is that maybe the javascript could be modified so that if Amazon.com did not start sending its ad content within a certain timeframe, the javascript would kill itself and the board could move on in the loading process.

We don't know if this is possible, not being javascript experts; the idea comes from the fact that you can do something like that with PHP. We're asking around some forums regarding the issue, but if anyone is a javascript expert and would like to give their advice/lend their services, please feel free to get in touch. :)

We've gotten in touch with Amazon.com regarding the ad issue. They seem to be taking the issue quite seriously, and indicate that they're hoping to do something that will resolve that problem.

Thanks for the heads up. :) The ads doesn't seem to be giving me trouble, but the page does load very slowly for me at times.

(and when tried to reply for this, the page refused to load at all. :()

I also got this problem a lot a few days back.

I am not a javascript expert, but I think one option would be to use javascript's onload event. Remove the amazon ad from the code proper. In onload attribute of the body call a js function that adds the ad to the page. That way, the browser will try to load the ad only after it has gotten the rest of the page. That's how it should work in theory, anyway.

That's an interesting suggestion. I'm not sure if it will work because currently the javascript is being called in through a separate file (I believe) rather than directly embedded in the pages we serve, but it's worth a look. Thanks. :)

Ran,

There is definitely a problem with one of the adds. I normally use Safari on my mac and latley the board is almost unusable. I switched over to firefox with the ad-block on and the board was fast as hell, I then shut off the ad-block and it was really crappy again so that leads me to believe it is not Safari but an ad

Archived