"I just bought" - Volume II

Stubby

AG,

While my to-be-read pile is relatively modest (around 40 now) due to reading almost a book a day, I've bought just over 200 books this year alone so far. So yeah, I'd imagine that'd had something to do with such large sizes.

Okay, you don't count :P Neither do Stego, Pat, Jay, and Wert. I can see all you book reviewers and/or english teachers reading at that pace and getting those huge stacks of books. But there's a reason for you guys to do it.

AG, I very deliberately do not keep track of my book purchases, as any realization of the actual amount I'm spending might very well cause severe health problems.

:lol:

Mapping Human history by Steve Olson

pretty good general view on Völkerwanderung for the layman with minimal genetics and no archaelogy layer numerals.

Probably need to live in the 21st Century and believe in evolution to read it though.

Shutter Island- Dennis Lehane

Shotgun Rule- Charlie Huston

Dark Harvest- Norman Partridge

Beyond Human- Gregory Benford ( non-fiction book about Artificial Intelligence).

The High Country- Willard Wyman

Taliesin- Stephen Lawhead

Altered Carbon - Morgan

Treasure Island - RLS

The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde - RLS

Neverwhere - Gaiman

The Electric Church - J. Somers

Crime and Punishment

Innocence and Experience - William Blake

The Scar - Meiville

Dirk Gently - Douglas Adams

Books bought in the past few weeks or ones that I received or ordered:

Antonio Machado, Antología Poética

Federico García Lorca, La casa de Bernarda Alba

Jeff Somers, The Electric Church (review copy)

Glen Hirschberg, American Morons (story collection)

M. Rickert, Map of Dreams (story collection)

Wil McCarthy, To Crush the Moon

Jo Walton, Farthing

Karl Schroeder, Sun of Suns

Jorge Luis Borges, Evaristo Carreigo (literary criticism)

Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things (story collection)

Seth H. Murray, Lord, Open My Lips: The Liturgy of the Hours as Daily Prayer (religious)

Charles Bukowski, Ham on Rye

Graham Greene, The Heart of the Matter

Mother Teresa, Come be My Light: The Private Writings of the "Saint of Calcutta" (religious biography)

Italo Calvino, Difficult Loves

Ursula Le Guin, The Lathe of Heaven

Carlos Fuentes, Todas las familias felices

Various, Sagrada Biblia (religious)

Thomas Wolfe, Of Time and the River; The Web and the Rock

Julio Cortázar, 62/Modelo para armar

Alberto Fuguet, Sobredosis; Tinta roja

Mario Vargas Llosa, La tentación de lo imposible (non-fiction)

Jack Vance, Lyonesse trilogy (borrowed)

Zoran Zivkovic, Steps Through the Mist; Impossible Stories (story collections)

Edward Whittemore, Nile Shadows

Forrest Aguirre (ed.), Leviathan 3; Leviathan 4 (story collections)

Stepan Chapman, The Troika

Alejo Carpentier, Concierto barroco

José Saramago, La piedra de balsa

Dino Buzzati, La boutique del mistero (story collection)

Catherynne M. Valente, Yume No Hon: The Book of Dreams

Martin Millar, The Good Fairies of New York (story collection)

Maxwell E. Johnson (ed.), Benedictine Daily Prayer: A Short Breviary (religious)

Lucius Shepard, Softspoken

Jorge C. Oliva Espinosa, El tiempo que nos toco vivir

Considering that I average around a book read a day and many of those are under 300 pages, it balances out. Some, like the Spanish translation of the Bible and a few related texts, are designed for daily readings/meditations (long personal story there that I won't explain now), while many others are for causal reads while stuck in rush hour traffic or during breaks at work.

The most important part is that I believe these books to be high-quality for the most part, especially since the majority are by authors that I've read/enjoyed before over the years.

Do you buy books you're not really interested in and end up putting them off for awhile? Or do you go on huge sprees all at once?
I just did a recount: 56 unread books in my study. I never buy books that I am not 'really interested' in reading. When you know you have a huge unread pile at home you do try to avoid buying more books. But you can't hold out forever... and then it's very hard to just buy one book.

There is just not enough time to get through the ones you already have before you HAVE to buy other books that you want, that is why the pile never goes all the way down.

Well, I just got Ambercrombie's The Blade Itself and a hardcover copy of Clarke's Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norell (it was a $4.99 bargain discount!). I also got (as far as I know) final Foxtrot collection. I also have Winterbirth, the latest Star Trek book Resistance and I Sold My Soul on E-Bay waiting for me on the shelves among other things.

Archived