"I just bought" - Volume II

Stubby

I've been showing marvelous restraint and have not purchased anything recently. :thumbsdown: I'd like to get my Stack down to less than20, before I buy too many again. Right now I sitting at 35. I'm sure I'll buy one here and there, but I think I could hold off on another book buying binge :leaving:

"Melting Stones", by Tamora Pierce, audiobook. Well, it's a present for my sister, but I'm going to listen to it first.

:stunned:

Are there different conventions concerning this in Europe? If somebody gave me a gift that they had used first I would be shocked, amazed, stunned, appalled... and I would never do this myself. I may ask immediately after they open said gift if I could borrow it after they're done, but even that is a little presumptuous.

Are there different conventions concerning this in Europe? If somebody gave me a gift that they had used first I would be shocked, amazed, stunned, appalled... and I would never do this myself. I may ask immediately after they open said gift if I could borrow it after they're done, but even that is a little presumptuous.

No idea, not living in Europe myself.

I personally don't have a problem with it, and neither does my sister. I guess the members of my family are just shamefully impolite to one another :)

No idea, not living in Europe myself.

I personally don't have a problem with it, and neither does my sister. I guess the members of my family are just shamefully impolite to one another :)

I didn't see the "New" in front of the "Holland" in your location. I guess I can see this from somebody from down under - you know being overrun by a former penal colony and all that :P

I've been showing marvelous restraint and have not purchased anything recently. :thumbsdown: I'd like to get my Stack down to less than20, before I buy too many again. Right now I sitting at 35. I'm sure I'll buy one here and there, but I think I could hold off on another book buying binge :leaving:

My own pile is sitting at 45. And I've added to it again. :rolleyes:

Winterbirth - Ruckley

City of Saints and Madmen - Vandermeer

I got a little extra in the bank account so I decided to *invest* it in some new books.

Absolute Sandman Vol. 1

The lim. ed. of Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (already read this)

The lim. ed. of Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch (and this, of course)

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson (I'm currently halfway through "Mistborn")

Watchmen by Alan Moore

Never been much into graphic novels before, but I reckon this is a good place to start.

In the last couple of weeks,

Melusine by Sarah Monette

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson

The Guild of Xenolinguists by Sheila Finch

In the Night Garden by Catherynne M. Valente

History of Germany 1780-1918 by David Blackbourn

Also bought Hunter's Run from Book Depository.

Peadar, if I don't win your book from Chris, I plan to buy it. :D

Acacia, A Betrayal in Winter, and The Blade Itself. I just finished Lord of Light, Neuromancer, and The Road, putting my stack at 0. So how do you guys build such big stacks? I tend to buy more often - about three books every two weeks or so. I'll finish them and reread while waiting for new books to arrive from Amazon. Do you buy books you're not really interested in and end up putting them off for awhile? Or do you go on huge sprees all at once?

AG,

While my to-be-read pile is relatively modest (around 40 now) due to reading almost a book a day, I've bought just over 200 books this year alone so far. So yeah, I'd imagine that'd had something to do with such large sizes.

That being said, here are the recent acquisitions from the past three days:

Forrest Aguirre (ed.), Leviathan 4: Cities

Keith Brooke and Nick Gevers (eds.), Infinity Plus: The Anthology

Stephen Baxter and Arthur C. Clarke, Firstborn (ARC)

Miguel Cervantes, Novelas ejemplares I

Alan DeNiro, Skinny Dipping in the Lake of the Dead

Alberto Fuguet, Tinta Roja

Glen Hirshberg, American Morons

Federico García Lorca, La casa de Bernarda Alba

Antonio Machado, Antología poética

Naomi Novik, Throne of Jade; Black Powder War; Empire of Ivory (review copy)

Pope Benedict XVI, God is Love: Deus Caritas Est

M. Rickert, Map of Dreams

Geoff Ryman, Air

Jeff Somers, The Electric Church

Jo Walton, Farthing

Edward Whittemore, Nile Shadows; Jericho Mosaic

Reinventing Axl Rose -- Against Me!

That's a really great album, good choice. :thumbsup:

I recently bought from the Book Depository:

The Warrior Prophet - R. Scott Bakker

The Thousandfold Thought - R. Scott Bakker

Dawn of Night - Paul S. Kemp

Midnight's Mask - Paul S. Kemp

And obviously I am very pleased with them.

Archived