"I just bought" - Volume II

Stubby

Sorry for the double-post -- a while back Amazon listed an upcoming omnibus of Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain being published in Alexander's honor following his death. I can't find it anymore. Was this project cancelled?

Sorry for the double-post -- a while back Amazon listed an upcoming omnibus of Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain being published in Alexander's honor following his death. I can't find it anymore. Was this project cancelled?

I don't know, but I loved Alexander's books when I was younger, and would definately pick that up.

Anyway, recently I've bought paperback editions of asoiaf, along with a trilogy of John Marco's (Eyes-Devil-Sword), which, with all the crap he often gets on here, isn't that bad -- but on the other hand it's not particuarly good. I feel obligated to finish it after getting 2/3rds of the way done.

Let's see, I just ordered the Prince of Nothing trilogy from Amazon.co.uk, so those should be here in a few days.

Yesterday I placed an order with Amazon.com that includes -among others- Shadow and Claw, Sword and Citadel (New Sun), Urth of the New Sun, The Lies of Locke Lamora. I'm not expecting those for at least three weeks though.

I've chosen these from among the ones recommended here and after I read about them. There are lots of others that I'm interested in, but I should pace myself.

Today I bought:

- Hobb - Assassin's Apprentice (repurchase)

- Hobb - Royal Assassin (repurchase)

- Hobb - Assassin's Quest (repurchase)

- Hobb - Renegade Magic (hardcover)

- Brust - The Book of Jhereg (compilation)

- Butcher - Fool Moon

Good Omens - Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

I can't wait to start reading it. :)

It's brilliant. But then again, I'm sure you've heard this before. :)

Me, I went to a book festival in Rotterdam and got The Lies of Locke Lamora for 2 euros and Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell for 5. Me and my tiny student budget are pleased.

Went a bit mad today with my Christmas book tokens.

Cornwell's "The Winter King" -- I'm dying to see if those battles are all they're cracked up to be!

Philip Palmer's "Debatable Space" -- looks like fun and I'm in sore need of a Space Opera.

K.J. Parker's "The Escapement" -- end of the trilogy

"Stories of your life and others" by Ted Chiang. I've only ever read one of this guy's short stories, but it's fair to say it blew my mind.

A long way gone: The true story of a child soldier -- research for a planned future writing project, but I'm looking forward to it for its own sake too.

Hood by Stephen R. Lawhead

Anybody know anything about this book? Looked pretty cool but I haven't really heard anything about it except some reviews on amazon.com

Hey, you're new! Welcome.

I've seen it in shops, but haven't even picked it up. Is it another retelling of Robin Hood?

Hey, you're new! Welcome.

I've seen it in shops, but haven't even picked it up. Is it another retelling of Robin Hood?

Yes. Instead of being set in sherwood forest it is supposed to be set in Wales. Thought it might be interesting. I liked the new King Arthur movie that came out a couple of years ago which was based on the roman commander Atorius (sp) so I thought it might be kind of cool.

Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome! Watch out though, this place is very addicting.

Yes. Instead of being set in sherwood forest it is supposed to be set in Wales. Thought it might be interesting. I liked the new King Arthur movie that came out a couple of years ago which was based on the roman commander Atorius (sp) so I thought it might be kind of cool.

I've had it on my shelf for over a year, but haven't been compelled to pick it up. In the Jan '08 or Dec '07 reading threads somebody read it and gave it positive review, and iirc they liked it enough that they were set to move onto Scarlett. Their review was enough to bump it up my TBR pile...

Got a couple of long plane flights next week so have just stocked up on some books (I hate buying at the airport as the selection is usually dreary)

Decided to go for some good old fashioned boys' own adventure stuff:

Flashman (Fraser). Been meaning to get round to these for years so might as well start at the beginning. It starts with the Afghan compaign - brilliant stuff. I loved Hopkirk's Great Game years ago so this will be fab!

Also bought Fraser's 'The Reavers' which looks like a good slice of delicious nonsense.

Michael Chabon's 'The Gentlemen of the Road'. Shall see what this is like, this homage to BOA stuff. Interesting dark ages stuff in southern Russia (Khazar Empire). Can but try. I'm sure some people round here have read it.

The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin. More skulduggery in Russia - ooh those Russians

First Man in Rome - Read Rubicon a while back so I thought I would :D read the novel. Everyone seems to like it round here pretty much and will keep me going until Robert Harris brings out his second Cicero novel.

Need to finish Sebastian Faulks' Birdsong first. Somehow I think the above will definately be more cheerful somehow.

Welcome! Watch out though, this place is very addicting.

I've had it on my shelf for over a year, but haven't been compelled to pick it up. In the Jan '08 or Dec '07 reading threads somebody read it and gave it positive review, and iirc they liked it enough that they were set to move onto Scarlett. Their review was enough to bump it up my TBR pile...

I've read them both and I enjoyed them. Hood was an interesting start to the trilogy but Scarlet was by far a better book. Tuck promises a climactic end!

I recently discovered that the university bookstore has a section of the classics for cheap. The editions are shitty, but at this point in my life, I'm really not worried about that. The other day I picked up:

Austen's Persuasion

Joyce's Dubliners

Dostoevsky's Notes from the Underground

Kafka's Metamorphosis and other stories

Woolf's Jacob's Room

I also ordered Before They Are Hanged and Black Man from the Book Depository yesterday.

Just placed a huge order at a Dutch bookstore which gave me 90 dollars discount on a 350 dollar order. Nice.

Dragons of Babel-Swanwick

The Book of Lost Things- Connolly

The Devil's Footptints- Burnside

Beyond the Gap- Turtledove

Sharp Teeth- Barlow

Quiet belief in Angels- Ellory

Immortal-Slatton

Dark Hollow- Keene

Life Expectancy- Koontz

Eyes of the Dragon-King

Bad Men- Connolly

Steel Bonnets- Macdonald Fraser