"I just bought" - Volume II

Stubby

Picked up Dresden Files 6 and 7. I'm a bit shy of my read-three-books-for-every-one-you-buy target (which I elected based on a desire to thin out my TBR pile), but I am close to finishing both Jhereg and Death Masks, I've read enough to buy a new book, and I didn't want to make extra trips to the bookstore.

I think I'm going to force at least one of my next three to not be Dresden Files, though. Either the next book in the Book of Jhereg or Devices and Desires, probably.

I am not usualy a Western reader.... OK never have. But...

I bought all four of the Larry McMurtry Lonesome Dove books.

Dead Man's Walk

Comanche Moon

Lonesome Dove

Streets of Laredo

So far I like them. I started with Dead Man's Walk because chronologically/story wise it comes first. The earliest days of Gus and Call. It was actually published next to last. *shrug*

Something new is a good thing I guess. :)

Argh. I tried to contain my compulsive book buying, but it couldn't be done. I need therapy. Here's what the postman will be dropping off in the near future:

• Tim Lebbon's After the War (Have to try this author at some point and this seemed like a good place to start).
  • Nick Mamatas' Under My Roof (ditto the above).
  • GRRM's and others' Inside Straight (love me some superheroes)
  • Charlie Huston's Caught Stealing and Half the Blood of Brooklyn (good books that are perfectly sized to fit in between more anticipated releases)
  • Robert VS Redick's The Red Wolf Conspiracy (really looking forward to this one!)

In addition to all this, I've also managed to swing a subscription to Joe Hill's upcoming comic series, "Locke & Key". Hopefully the issues are as good in and of themselves as his short-stories are, 'cause if so, then I'm in for a real treat :thumbsup:

Order that I made yesterday just arrived today (beauty of living near New York City), and I have a question pertaining to it, as a few items are based on recommendations gleaned from the board.

First, the order:

Under My Roof - Nick Mamatas

Devices and Desires - K.J. Parker

Experience - Martin Amis

The Lemon Table - Julian Barnes

Sunshine - Tessa Hadley

The Darkness That Comes Before - R. Scott Bakker

I'd recommend Martin Amis to anyone, and Tessa Hadley has been putting out some competent work on a consistent basis for some time now. All contemporary, none fantasy, great writing.

Anyway, my question is this: I sat down with Bakker for about an hour now and, honestly, I'm having trouble with it. His writing style just irks me. The story doesn't seem all that compelling. He is using 'broad strokes' and failing to describe the few things that I would like to see elaborated on.

As his works have been called 'the next best thing to Martin' around here, I'm wondering: does it get better? Did any of you experience a similar, initial dissatisfaction?

If it's just me, I have no problem moving on. Then again, maybe I just need to give it more time.

Over the last couple of weeks and up to today I've bought

Thunderer by Felix Gilman

Already Dead by Charlie Huston

No Dominion by Charlie Huston

Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston

Mainspring by Jay Lake

I also won Half the Blood of Brooklyn by Huston in a contest by Graeme on his blog.

Anyway, my question is this: I sat down with Bakker for about an hour now and, honestly, I'm having trouble with it. His writing style just irks me. The story doesn't seem all that compelling. He is using 'broad strokes' and failing to describe the few things that I would like to see elaborated on.

As his works have been called 'the next best thing to Martin' around here, I'm wondering: does it get better? Did any of you experience a similar, initial dissatisfaction?

If it's just me, I have no problem moving on. Then again, maybe I just need to give it more time.

Give it a little longer -- there's a lot of background to be explained. Bakker ranks among my very favorites. That said, for some people it just never clicks.

Ordered a couple of short story collections based on all the glowing reviews given them - Laird Barron's Imago Sequence and Other Stories and Mark Samuel's The White Hands and Other Weird Tales, as well as T.E.D. Klein's Reassuring Tales.

It took me half of the first volume to get into it. At least 200 pages. Now the series is one of my all time favourites.

I'm going to echo the others and say give it more time. Lots of people have that same initial reaction.

• 2 weeks later...

And so it was that I just bought way too many books...

Sword Song by Bernard Cornwell

Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow

Territory by Emma Bull

Maledicte by Lane Robins

Shadowbridge by Gregory Frost

Semper Mars: Book One of the Heritage Trilogy by Ian Douglas

The Orphan's Tales: In the Cities of Coin and Spice by Catherynne Valente

The Book of Lost Things: A Novel by John Connolly

Last Dragon by J.M. Mcdermott

Dark Hollow by Brian Keene

The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff

Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen

Little, Big by John Crowley

Immortal by Traci L. Slatton

The Land of Laughs: A Novel by Jonathan Carroll

Last Call by Tim Powers

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

Thunderer by Felix Gilman

The Limits of Enchantment: A Novel by Graham Joyce

Auralia's Colors by Jeffrey Overstreet

The Born Queen by Greg Keyes

The Separation by Christopher Priest

The New Moon's Arms by Nalo Hopkinson

Firethorn by Sarah Micklem

The Devil's Footprints: A Novel by John Burnside

KOP by Warren Hammond

Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold

No real rhyme or reason to the order. Most are books that were rec'd here. Some were bought because I missed them last year, some because they just came out, some because I'm in the mood for Military Sci-Fi, some because they're non-genre, and some because the author kicks serious ass.

I've now nearly doubled my to be read pile :thumbsdown: (really though :thumbsup: )

And so it was that I just bought way too many books...

LoL, welcome to the club of the extreme book-buying addicts ;)

To add to the massive order I bought last week I also bought Seekers of the Chalice and Whitechapel Gods.

Archived