"I just bought" - Volume II

Stubby

The Edge of Reason by Melinda Snodgrass turned up in the post. I think this one was sent my way be Deornoth (it just turned up in an unmarked envelope with no explanation) so cheers for that! Will get onto this one as soon as The Yiddish Policemen's Union is out of the way.

Looks like I have another book at the post office as well. I haven't ordered anything so I'm presuming it's a random ARC.

The Edge of Reason by Melinda Snodgrass turned up in the post. I think this one was sent my way be Deornoth (it just turned up in an unmarked envelope with no explanation) so cheers for that! Will get onto this one as soon as The Yiddish Policemen's Union is out of the way.

That was me, I was having a crappy day at work yesterday and completely forgot to stick a note in with the book... :blush:

Hope you like it!

I've got a book waiting for me at home but Mrs D is refusing to open it and tell me what it is :tantrum: (Please let it be 'Toll the Hounds')

The random ARC waiting at the post office turned out to be The City at the End of Time by Greg 'used to be good' Bear. Hopefully this will be a return-to-form SF spectacular after a run of dodgy technothrillers from one of the Killer Bs.

Also picked up Bernard Cornwell's Harlequin from a second hand bookstore.

I have been keeping my eye for certain books cheaply and haven't been able to so I had to put in a order for:

Anubis Gates: Tim Powers

The Drawing of the Dark: Tim Powers

Princes of the Golden Cage: Nathalie Mallet

The Spice Islands Voyage: Tim Severin

The Power of Now: Eckhart Tolle

Succes !!! I have obtained a copy of White Knight Black Swan, the ultra rare and expensive book by David Gemmell, written under the pseudonym Ross Harding. And it cost me less than 30 $, which is very cheap when you know that copies have been said to sell for close to a thousand dollars.

Succes !!! I have obtained a copy of White Knight Black Swan, the ultra rare and expensive book by David Gemmell, written under the pseudonym Ross Harding. And it cost me less than 30 $, which is very cheap when you know that copies have been said to sell for close to a thousand dollars.

Hey, congrats! I'm looking forward to hearing if it's any good. I never even knew that one existed 'til you mentioned it :cheers:

Hey, congrats! I'm looking forward to hearing if it's any good. I never even knew that one existed 'til you mentioned it :cheers:

It's not well known. Supposedly Gemmell used to read Moorcock's Elric stuff when he was young. One day he bought one of Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius novels and was disappointed when it wasn't fantasy. Because of this he decided to write White Knight, Black Swan under a pseudonym so he wouldn't disappoint his own fans, since the novel is a thriller set in modern-day London and contains a few biographical elements.

The spoils of my recent book-shopping spree this weekend:

Jamie O’Neill - AT SWIM, TWO BOYS

Lynn Flewelling - THE BONE DOLL’S TWIN

Lynn Flewelling - HIDDEN WARRIOR

Lynn Flewelling - THE ORACLE’S QUEEN

Ursula K. Le Guin - LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS

D. J. Mac Hale - PENDRAGON - THE MERCHANT OF DEATH (my mother in law keeps pestering me to read those, so I picked it up used ;) )

Romping my way through my third Flashman book, 'Flashman's Lady', so I'm off the coast of Borneo now with the headhunters circling and the pirates pirating. Gazooks!

Also just bought, Boris Akunin's third Erast Fandorin book, 'Turkish Gambit' set against the background of the Russo-Turkish war but that will have to wait until I've read 'The Snake Stone' by Jason Goodwin. Set in Istanbul in 1838, its a return to the world of Yashim after the brilliant debut of 'The Janissary Tree'. Goodwin is a travel and historical writer of the Ottoman Empire and the vivid background rendering of Istanbul in the dying days of the empire was wonderful in his first novel. Can't wait to see whether it continues in this new book.

Romping my way through my third Flashman book, 'Flashman's Lady', so I'm off the coast of Borneo now with the headhunters circling and the pirates pirating. Gazooks

Ah, you're reading chronologically, as I did? I'm normally dubious of that practice unless the books were published in that order, but GMF worked out Flashy's complete timeline after the first book and wrote whatever interested him next, so it's all extremely consistent.

Gollancz very nicely sent me free copies of Ilium and Olympos and I picked up a copy of Terry Pratchett's award-winning Making Money as well.

Ah, you're reading chronologically, as I did? I'm normally dubious of that practice unless the books were published in that order, but GMF worked out Flashy's complete timeline after the first book and wrote whatever interested him next, so it's all extremely consistent.

yep, I was umming and ahhing in the bookshop about whether to go by publication order or chronologically and plumped for chronological as I thought GMF was a meticulous bugger and he wouldn't mess around too much. However, what annoys me is the picture on the front of Flashman's Lady shows Flashy wearing leg guards (or whatever they are called) with his cricket whites when F distinctly says they didn't wear them in his day. And Mrs F is shown with mousy brown curls when she is definately a blonde. I know illustrators don't often read the books they illustrate but the editors do. Grr.

Archived