"I just bought" - Volume II

Stubby

I just bought (well, not "just", since I've had time to read most of them) Stardust and Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman, Making Money by Terry Pratchett (well, my mom got it for me for Christmas, since I was planning on waiting for the paperback), The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, and The Darkness that Comes Before by R Scott Bakker.

Stardust was nice, though predictable, though I suppose in a way it was supposed to be, and I thought Fragile Things was good as well, but I've always liked Gaiman's short fiction. Making Money was okay, but certainly not as good as I'd hoped, and didn't really offer all that much that Going Postal didn't. I heard it said once by someone on the board (sorry, I don't remember who) that it felt like halfway through Going Postal Pratchett thought "I wonder what this would be like if it was banks instead" and went and wrote that one too, and that's exactly what Making Money felt like. Still, it was Moist, so I can only object so much.

I thought The Blade Itself was amazing. I love Abercrombie's action scenes, his characters...well, just about everything. I flew through the book. On a nearly unrelated point, that book has some really nice quality paper in it; the pages felt quite nice. The Darkness that Comes Before was just about the opposite in terms of reading pace. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, because I did, but it was one of those books that I was reading along, came to a point, thought "wait, what the Hell was that?" and had to go back and look something up from three chapters before. Plus, I still can't pronounce the names of half the characters in the book.

Found a nice box set of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson at a used book store.

I've heard mixed opinions about it, but $10 for three books was too good to pass up.

That brings my TBR list to an even 80. I'm going to try to bring it down to 50 before buying anything else, but really who am I kidding.

I just picked up:

Robin Hobb Renegade's Magic

GRRM, Dozois, Abraham Hunters Run

I would have waited for the paperback of Renegade's Magic, but buying it now was the only way to get into the signing event she's doing here Sunday, so worthy monetary sacrifice. Was going to wait on the GRRM too, but the cover was too pretty to pass by, and the bastards put it right on the rack facing the door!!! :spank:

This week I've received The Virtu by Sarah Monette, The Secret Books of Paradys by Tanith Lee, and In Legend Born by Laura Resnick from a book order I placed a week or two ago. I was really excited to see The Secret Books of Paradys had been reprinted and had to get that one.

This week I also got the following books in the mail from a friend:

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

Titan by John Varley

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey

The Blade Itself- Abercrombie

Gardens of the Moon- Erikson

I've picked these two up just to see what the hell everybody's talking about.

Wizard's First Rule- Goodkind

I apologize to the LOD for feeding the Yeard but I couldn't find any used bookstores where I live... good news is I got WFR 50% off. So I got that going for me...

Spent all the vouchers and cash we got for xmas on furniture, but the one book we have bought this week is Dexter in the Dark, by Jeff Lindsay. I have already finished it and laoise is well into it. Dexter rocks.

Glad to see the Black Company collection is stirring interest. I love that series. I already have them all individually, though, so I think the only thing that could tempt me to double-dip would be a box set of the whole series.

Been a busy couple days for me, bookwise, heh:

• Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 (read before)
  • Bujold - Miles Errant (already finished, natch -- compilation with two novels and a short story)
  • Bujold - Memory
  • Bujold - Komarr
  • Bujold - A Civil Campaign
  • Butcher - Storm Front
  • Donaldson - The Power That Preserves (already read, but had never owned the First Chronicles; this completes the collection with a nicely matching set from Ballantine)

I also repurchased all four currently-available ASOIAF books; I've given away several copies of A Game of Thrones, had originally borrowed A Clash of Kings, lent out and never got back A Storm of Swords and am not entirely sure where my copy (hardcover! :bawl:) of A Feast for Crows has gotten to. Besides, now I have a matching set.

EDIT: Goddammit. I lied. I'm going to go pick up the first omnibus tomorrow.

Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb, been meaning to get into this for awhile now, will have to wait till I'm done with Bakker and Erickson though

eBay Business for Dummies - want to sell cheap used things for more online soon

The Tao of Sobriety

AFFC in trade paperback

A Frommer's Guide to Denver and Boulder and Colorado for WorldCon

Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb, been meaning to get into this for awhile now, will have to wait till I'm done with Bakker and Erickson though

Hobb is one of my absolute faves, you're in for a treat.

I went ahead and picked up the Black Company omnibus. I'm looking forward to the release of the next one. I wonder if and how they'll fit The Silver Spike[/i[ into the anthologies.

Archived