Books/authors that you SHOULD like, but don't

Eponine

You all know what I'm talking about. You're fluent in 10 different languages. You're an expect literary critic. You have signed first editions of great literary masterpieces. You're best friends with the most influential post-modern authors... but you secretly hate a book that you know an educated person should love. Maybe you don't even have a good reason for it... you just don't like it.

I hate Jane Austen. Even the characters she wants us to like, I find repugnant and tedious. Moreover, I dislike people who adore Jane Austen. Casual admirers I'm ok with, but if you've ever considered starting a Jane Austen society, you're the kind of person I want to avoid. I know that part of my dislike comes from my dislike of the people who actually were in the Jane Austen society at my college. And I don't like reading about romance at all, even romance with social commentary and deeper insights on the human condition. Screw the human condition.

Dune was boring. NFT.

Dorothy Dunnett. I went through three volumes of Lymond and two of Niccolo. Boy, was i bored. The plot totally revolved on highly unbelievable characters and the highly contrived effort to make them look good - clever, skilled, knowledgeable, cultured, manipulative & oh so pretty. It was plain ridiculous.

Dune is totally boring.

Well that's the point zhaduum. These are supposed to be books that most other well-read people like and admire. Where, if you walked into a convention of literary critics and shouted, "I don't like ____", everyone would consider you an idiot.

Lots of people like Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley - I did not care for it.

Add me to the Dune chorus - it was OK, but for me it wasn't near as good as the praise it usually gets. I think I read the sequel, but I don't remember if I finished it or not - I found it even less interesting.

Tolkien. Can't stand his writing. LOTR is dull and plodding. Like a boring travelogue that goes on too long. Silmarillion is even worse. It's like reading a book of Greek Mythology, except not even written to be exciting. Dryer then Oscar Wilde too.

Dune. Good ideas, not bad story, but I don't think Herbert can write worth shit.

ummmmm, lots...

Chaucer

Malory

Beowulf

Marie de France

Actually, you could probably plug in most authors/works written before the late 16th/early seventeenth century, and it would work just fine. There are exceptions, just not very many.

After that...

Thomas Hardy's fiction (I think his poetry can be pretty powerful, if depressing)

Emily Bronte

Henry Miller, Norman Mailer, William Burroughs, Tom Wolfe (Die! Kltpzyxm!)... I find so many 20th century American authors to be majorly disappointing. I read half of the Tropic of something-or-other because friends, plural, people who don't read but will flow with a fad, recommended it to me. And later: Kerouac. Vonnegut. De Sade. Where does their popularity spring from? Vonnegut often fails to rise past a fan-fic level. Norman fucking Mailer I despise. I read some of Advertisements For Myself and marvelled at how he thinks he has the balls to dismiss James Baldwin and Gore Vidal.

I'm tempted to be a smartass here and say Terry Goodkind ;)

But no, that would be fibbing, so...

I've already said before that I just don't like Isaac Asimov's or Robert Heinlein's works, at least the small sampling of theirs that I've read.

Add me to the Dune and Tolkien bandwagons :P

I guess DVC as well, although that has been exposed here for the shite that it is, the friend that pressed it on me was all about how awesome it was :unsure:

Archived