BAKKER VI: Death comes swirling down

Happy Ent

:rolleyes:

It's never really explained, but it seems like the Quorom is the result of a seniority system, so you not only have to be intelligent and powerful with the Gnosis, you also have to be old and, presumably, wise... Also, Akka is a bit of a maverick, even in the beginning of the books, and there are some suggestions that this is part of why he is still a field agent.

Yeah, Akka is quite powerful, but he's youngish and doesn't tend to play nice with the rest of the Mandate, so he's stuck doing shit field work.

This is something that has always bothered me. If Akka is powerful enough to wipe out numerous members of the two most powerful anagogic schools + that demon, why is he a fairly low ranking member of the Mandate? Why isn't he on the Quorom? (sp?)

Because the Gnosis is just that badass :P

If Akka was a better politician he would've been on the Quorum. He's very powerful, and the other Mandate mention this. It's just that he relies too much on personal relationships and feelings, and can't always be trusted to do what the council commands.

It's kind of what the council wants, as well - something of a stalking horse, who will take some shots but be able to survive them.

I got that first impression as well, until my first reread when the prologue of The Darkness gave me pause. Those cadaverous looking 'wolf people' that scaled the walls of Ishuäl were Dûnyain. Were they the progenitors of the order, or merely refugees as the prologue infers? How far removed are they, in populace [and ability] from the Dûnyain that we've come to know through Kell and his papa?

Their origins are obscure enough that Bakker can play with our expectations in any manner he might wish. But he's got to choose soon, if he hasn't already.

It's obviously a bit too early to say as I don't think there was enough evidence in the books, but I would guess that they don't quite have Kellhus' abilities at that point in the story, but the basic philosophy that leads to that is probably already firmly established. I'm just basing that on what I remember from my 1 read through a few months ago, so I could be way off base. As I recall though, wasn't Kellhus pretty surprised when he was able to control people so easily? It might be that even if the Dûnyain do have those abilities, they may not even be aware of them.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been selling some of my old books that I don't like to a used book store for store-credit. While perusing the shelves for something to obtain with this newfound credit, I noticed a large paperback copy of Bakker's Warrior Prophet for $6 in pretty good shape.

I've never read the series, but have heard it bandied about this board for some time. I did peruse the forward, which would bring me up to speed, and I don't mind starting series in reverse order. (sometimes its more fun--I read Pratchett's Feegle series out of order)

Anyway, I wanted to ask if this was a good deal? I mean technically, I'm paying $6, but really I'm getting it for free after returning trading books I didn't want.

Also, after perusing the preface of the book, which provides a brief overview of the first volume, from what I could tell, Kellhus kind reminded me of Paul Atreides. Is that a valid comparison?

Also, after perusing the preface of the book, which provides a brief overview of the first volume, from what I could tell, Kellhus kind reminded me of Paul Atreides. Is that a valid comparison?

I frequently call the Prince of Nothing trilogy the Dune of fantasy yeah. Except I think the Prince of Nothing is better written, less sexist and better characterized, but YMMV. I think Kellhus is a more a deconstruction than Paul is though.

So I've been selling some of my old books that I don't like to a used book store for store-credit. While perusing the shelves for something to obtain with this newfound credit, I noticed a large paperback copy of Bakker's Warrior Prophet for $6 in pretty good shape.

I've never read the series, but have heard it bandied about this board for some time. I did peruse the forward, which would bring me up to speed, and I don't mind starting series in reverse order. (sometimes its more fun--I read Pratchett's Feegle series out of order)

Anyway, I wanted to ask if this was a good deal? I mean technically, I'm paying $6, but really I'm getting it for free after returning trading books I didn't want.

I imagine that The Warrior Prophet is eaiser to jump into that TDtCB. That said, you should crack the first book first -- IMO it is a better written book overall if not as epic or exciting.

the series is very much a Dune analogue, though it's much more tarantino esque oriented towards the cool uber-power side of things. sort of Dune + Kung Fu/Matrix. not as well written as Dune, but it's a solid and interesting series, Kellhus is a fascinating character.

the series is very much a Dune analogue, though it's much more tarantino esque oriented towards the cool uber-power side of things. sort of Dune + Kung Fu/Matrix. not as well written as Dune, but it's a solid and interesting series, Kellhus is a fascinating character.
Wow, really dude? I've always enjoyed the concepts in Dune, but considered Herbert's writing to be a weak point. Minor one, true, but a weak point nonetheless.

There's Kung Fu in Prince of Nothing? :stunned: How come I've missed that. You know, that sounds like awfully kick ass stuff. I would totally read the Kung Fu version of those books. Especially if it Kellhus yelling that he's an Invicible Sword Princess. :smoking:

I always thought it was obvious from the prologue of DtCB that the Dunyain were earwa's version of martial arts secluded monks of badassery? the catching the arrows and slaughtering thousands of those dog creature things singlehandedly in the nonman fight sort of gave it away.

I love herbert's writing, dune is beautifully written. It's not purple prose, but that doesn't mean it's poorly written.

Absolutely the Dunyain bring to mind the Kung-Fu-style bad-ass monks. Rather more bloodthirsty than the Shaolin, though, I think. I definitely remember having that thought when reading PoN for the first time.

Some of Herbert's writing in Dune always bordered on incomprehensibility to me, which is why I find it forever interesting. I see the inscrutability of it as a challenge. :P Must be why PoN appeals to me too. Although, PoN has surrendered most of its secrets on a reread.

Well, the story carries you away from the Dunyain rather quickly and focuses outward, but that was just my (our?) initial impression.

It's been a looong while since I've watched "Kung Fu" - was there really an Invincible Sword Princess?? Oh, dear.

Well, the story carries you away from the Dunyain rather quickly and focuses outward, but that was just my (our?) initial impression.

It's been a looong while since I've watched "Kung Fu" - was there really an Invincible Sword Princess?? Oh, dear.

"Invincible Sword Princess" is an expression originated from (I think) RPG.net and the Exalted fandom talking about a specific character built that is optimized for combat, and comes from a first translation of Crouching Tiger which was later changed. So, err, no, not really. It just proves I think too much in exalted terms.

Archived