Avatar The Last Air Bender Book 3: Fire

Trebla

the problem with casting Aang is how much he will age between filming. Even if they shoot straight thru, he will sprout. Even the voice actor aged to the point where they had to alter his voice to keep it similar from season 1.

I happen to like the casting so far, as opposed to having that Jesse McCartney play Zuko. Especially Cliff Curtis as Ozai and Shawn "Ironman cave scientist" Toub as Iroh. Toub isn't fat, but he IS a good actor. I'll take that over appearence any day.

eta: Oh and Aasif Mandvi (from the Daily Show amomg other things) as Commander Zhao.

The Slumdog actor seems to have gotten the gist of the character. Being able to a do a mean fire stance is a good starting point for Zuko, and he does spend most of the first season/movie staring angrily off into the middle distance whilst muttering darkly about honour, his father and killing the Avatar.

I'm worried about Aang though. The actor looks right, but it sounds like he was chosen for his martial arts skills first and his acting abilities second, which doesn't sound promising to me.

eta: Oh and Aasif Mandvi (from the Daily Show amomg other things) as Commander Zhao.

I love Aasif... but what?!

Count me as one who is quite irritated about the majority-white cast, the least being that I am also Asian and would dig seeing a predominantly Asian Hollywood film (no, Gran Torino does not count). Dev Patel would work better as Sokka anyway.

I love Aasif... but what?!

Count me as one who is quite irritated about the majority-white cast, the least being that I am also Asian and would dig seeing a predominantly Asian Hollywood film (no, Gran Torino does not count). Dev Patel would work better as Sokka anyway.

well,Aasif he's played in quite a few dramatic movies. I was actually surprised when I saw him on the Daily Show the first time. I had remembered him as the dentist on Oz who put "black" gums into a skinhead's m uth and then ratted him out.

The casting scandal: Well, I was more bothered that they wanted to cast a bubble gum pop star as Zuko more than that the kid is white. The whole thing about the Avatar world is the exotic looking ppl. Take the water Tribe. Sokka and Katara's dark skin and clue eyes were not the norm. They showed more light skinned Water Tribe members than dark skinned. Hama from "The Puppetmaster" had light skin and grayish colored eyes.

The Avatar world had a manner of skin tones and eye colors. About the only trait completely missing is blonde hair. Suki's hair was reddish. Green eyed Earth Kingdom. Golden eyed Fire nation. But all black or brown haired.

well,Aasif he's played in quite a few dramatic movies. I was actually surprised when I saw him on the Daily Show the first time. I had remembered him as the dentist on Oz who put "black" gums into a skinhead's m uth and then ratted him out.

The casting scandal: Well, I was more bothered that they wanted to cast a bubble gum pop star as Zuko more than that the kid is white. The whole thing about the Avatar world is the exotic looking ppl. Take the water Tribe. Sokka and Katara's dark skin and clue eyes were not the norm. They showed more light skinned Water Tribe members than dark skinned. Hama from "The Puppetmaster" had light skin and grayish colored eyes.

The Avatar world had a manner of skin tones and eye colors. About the only trait completely missing is blonde hair. Suki's hair was reddish. Green eyed Earth Kingdom. Golden eyed Fire nation. But all black or brown haired.

Yes, but at the same time the world is very obviously Asian-inspired and I wish we could see that in the movies. No one would have made an all-Hispanic cast for Lord of the Rings, so I don't see why it has to be like this here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Haven't seen any western cartoons since childhood, but this one blew me off my feet. I've gone through all three seasons in a matter of days (after struggling with first 10 or so episodes). Great story, memorable characters, interesting mythology and engaging plot with lots of twists. Sadly, too childish at times (especially season 1), but still better than many, many more adult anime series I've seen (although not all, to be fair).

Eh, if only there was a sequel/spin-off with a slightly different (at least teen) demographic...

Archived