October Reading Thread

Deornoth

I'm still taking bites out of The Adventures of Amir Hamza. It will probably take me into the end of the next month.

Just picked up The Master of Verona by David Blixt as I am still in the historical fiction mood after Follett and McCullough. Then it will probably be on to Stormed Fortress by Janny Wurts as I have her latest . Something I have been puttin goff for a couple of days as I like her writing style and I like her world, but get so frustrated at how she indulges herself in her storytelling in this series. And she wonders why US publishes dropped her delaying, stretching-it-out, overlong tookus (not counting Meisha Merlin which just up and died; but she chose to go with them and vehemently defended that decision even though they could get their typeset right in the age of computers with her last book they published). Oy.

Then it will be on to the new Irvine book The Curse of the Chosen assuming I get my copy as planned.

Nearly finished Chris Wooding's The Fade. It is absolutely superb, one of the best books I've read this year, maybe even a five-starrer (have to think on that).

Pondering what to read next. Possibly making a start on Dreamsongs or maybe diving into Kate Elliott's Spirit Gate.

Most of the way through David Gunn's Death's Head. Quite entertaining, in a pulpy way. Seems to crib liberally from a wide range of material.

Still, aside from a bit too much wish fulfillment, I have no complaints. Recommended for anyone who wants milSF, though I'd wait until it's in paperback.

Last week I finished Dawn of Night by Paul S. Kemp (full review), an author that might well be considered one of the best among the Wizards of the Coast franchise. In any case this sequel to Twilight Falling (of the Erevis Cale trilogy) was not that good and solid as its precedessor was. Especially the characterization of any other character than the one named Cale was rather weak. The novel felt a bit like an interlude in fact, as if we were just waiting for the Cale's final battle versus the Sojourners. Still it was not a horrible book, but it could have been better.

In the meantime I decide to finish up The Electric Church by Jeff Somers, plus although a bit disappointed have moved on to read the last and final volume of the Erevis Cale trilogy.

Archived