What are you listening to?

Bazzlebane

Sounds about right. Mr. Ibis, two quick questions: 1) what was the venue like (big, small, outdoors, indoors, good/bad acoustics), and 2) were they headlining?

I've seen them twice; the headline, indoors show at a smallish venue was good, and the festival, outdoors, large venue show blew.

Oddly, I listened to a lot of Modest Mouse over the last couple days, because that's the only CD in my car, and my roommate took my tape adapter for the weekend, so I couldn't play the ipod.

Did the Killers release a new album today? I feel like yes.

It was a smallish indoor show, maybe 2,000 capacity for standing room. The acoustics weren't great, but not bad enough to affect the show. MM headlined, which is why I feel ripped off for them only playing about an hour, maybe hour and a half of music.

Another thing that bothered me was that the lead singer mumbled every time he spoke to the crowd. The only thing I could understand was when they came out for the encore and he said, "So you guys decided to stick around?" Everything else was gibberish. At one point he mumbled for a good two minutes while pointing to his hand. I dunno, maybe too much heroin for dinner or something.

It definitely ensured I will never pay to see them again, unless they're part of a bigger festival with other bands I want to see.

Man Man, though, was great. Great energy, crazy good music, and different from most styles of music I've heard. It would be hard to classify them in a genre, besides Indie Rock, of course, which encompasses just about everything that doesn't fit into a genre.

Modest Mouse has had that reputation for a while. Often Brock would simply come out drunk off his ass and even more often they just wouldn't give a shit. It's not because they can't play -- Modest Mouse is capable of good shows, they just don't necessarily come through.

Nothing wrong with that.

Not at all. That's one of the songs that I can remember exactly the first time I heard it (I was driving around northeast Philly with some friends back in high school).

Currently listening to Jawbreaker - Bivouac. Seems to fit a theme of early to mid 90s Bay Area punk rock I've been on lately.

Razorlight's self titled album. I've always liked 'In The Morning' but I'd never heard anything else by them. It was only when I saw the CD in a shop the other day that I decided I may as well buy it to see whether they're any good. So far so good.

Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. Before that, his "Hammerklavier" sonata. I'm really getting into his music now, after convincing myself that I only liked Mozart and composers who came before him.

Modest Mouse has had that reputation for a while. Often Brock would simply come out drunk off his ass and even more often they just wouldn't give a shit. It's not because they can't play -- Modest Mouse is capable of good shows, they just don't necessarily come through.

Yeah, It's almost guaranteed that Brock was real drunk. WRT the speaking to the crowd, dude has something of a lisp, too. But yeah, he drinks a whole bunch. Sorry to hear that your show sucked, though, Mr. I.

Currently listening to Jawbreaker - Bivouac. Seems to fit a theme of early to mid 90s Bay Area punk rock I've been on lately.

Goddamn. I still haven't gotten any Jawbreaker stuff... I need to get back to a record store.

Arcade Fire's Neon Bible, with the headphones on. Not sure what inspired me.

:lol:

I must admit, reading that description rankled a tad.

Listening to Jets to Brazil's album "Perfecting Loneliness"... same frontman as Mr. X's Jawbreaker. Good stuff; not as good an album, maybe, as "Orange Rhyming Dictionary," but some of the songs are incredible (especially The Frequency and Autumn Walker).

Archived