College Football 2007

Bronn Stone

Except that the Big 10(11) doesn't play a full round robin schedule. For example, neither Indiana or Iowa had to play Ohio State or Michigan. The Big 10 is the one that really need to make up their minds as to what type of conference they want to be. I think they have their heels dug in waiting for Notre Dame to finally join a conference, though.

That has to be what they are wanting to do, but I don't really see it happening. At least not after only one abysmal year for ND, I think it'll take several consecutive years of stinking it up before ND starts to crack.

I really wish the Big East would tell them in or out. That would most likely lead to them being 'out' in basketball, but whatever. I don't like the BE or any conference pandering to ND, and the BE is still quite solid in BBall without them.

*Points at Lukkake*

He started it.

:P

We have 30+ days until most of these games get played. Somebody had to start yapping. Next, I will insult whoever wins the Heisman.

Also, I really think the ACC added three teams for basketball purposes rather than extra revenue from a football title game. Can't be proven either way, but everything about that move said the ACC was more concerned with basketball.

Yes, I never meant to imply the other kids didn't work just as hard, I know they did. But quit crying? C'mon man, this is the state known as Misery. Hell, our hockey team is the Saint Louis Blues for a reason, yknow. We was born crying and we gonna die crying. Like I've always said,"It's the pig getting screwed does the squealing" (not that Missouri people know anything about screwing pigs, at least nobody I know, I think)

Ouch, I feel your pain ;). Well, I watched the Oklahoma/Mizzou game with 3 guys from St Louis. I was cheering for Oklahoma because if they won we would go to the Capital One bowl, not the Champs Sports Bowl. And yeah they wanted to murder me in the beginning but were pretty pessimistic as a whole.

I agree about the bowls, but disagree about the system. I'll bet if you took a poll of fans to see how many would prefer a playoff over the current system, a playoff would win in a landslide.

Though I've been a WVU fan my whole life I went to a D-II school where a playoff has been in effect for years. My school actually won it a few years ago while I was a student there, undisputed National Champions. (Go Dukes!) Theres no reason why the big boys can't do the same.

In the end, it looks like money will prevent a playoff, or so the bigwigs say. Too much money in bowl stadiums, traveling, advertising, TV, tickets, etc etc. Of course a playoff might generate more, but too many incumbents who benefit financially from the Bowls will prevent a playoff.

The "Rose Bowl is the most important thing for us" talk generally picks up in earnest after a team has not been selected to the championship game. USC and the vast majority of their fans would switch from the Rose Bowl to the BCS Title game in a heartbeat - witness Pete Caroll pleading his case on ESPN Saturday night (along with Les Miles, Mark Richt and Bob Stoops - quite a display of begging that was that night).

I guess what I meant was that if you can't make it to the NC game, the Rose Bowl would be generally favored the most as the next option. And I agree that Mizzou was the team screwed the most.

The Big 10 is the one that really need to make up their minds as to what type of conference they want to be. I think they have their heels dug in waiting for Notre Dame to finally join a conference, though.

I think we have a pretty good idea. Play as 11 teams until ND joins. And we know thats not going to happen, so the status will remain. And to be honest, even if ND does join, I don't think we'll have a playoff anyway.

*Points at Lukkake*

He started it.

:P

Besides, Annelise has an OSU fan as a husband, may the Gods be merciful. She did the unthinkable. Lets not pile on her misery. Hopefully their children can still be saved :smoking:

Also, I really think the ACC added three teams for basketball purposes rather than extra revenue from a football title game. Can't be proven either way, but everything about that move said the ACC was more concerned with basketball.

You think so? If I remember correctly Syracuse, Miami and Boston College were originally planned to move, but then Virginia Tech took the place of Syracuse. Something about congressman stepping in, lawsuits, things too complicated for me to follow. Isn't 'Cuse a national power in bball?

And out of the 3 I believe only Boston College fields a decent basketball team, while all 3 were good to great football teams at that time. All in all, looks like a football move to me.

Besides, Annelise has an OSU fan as a husband, may the Gods be merciful. She did the unthinkable. Lets not pile on her misery. Hopefully their children can still be saved :smoking:

:lol: You should have seen our 5 year son on OSU/Illinois gameday. Kid switches allegiance as fast as the next touchdown. Naturally, our friends, subversive elements that they are, think it's great fun to get him to pump his arm and say, "Go Blue!"

As for my husband, oh the grimace on his face when he saw Michigan was playing Florida in the Capital One. :lol: I said, "Oh common, you're going to root for Florida?" He twisted in his chair, shaking his head and mumbled something about a 0-0 tie. (He's still working off the 90's.) But I have seen this before. When we went to the Citrus bowl, it was the same and he did finally start rooting for Michigan. :P

You think so? If I remember correctly Syracuse, Miami and Boston College were originally planned to move, but then Virginia Tech took the place of Syracuse. Something about congressman stepping in, lawsuits, things too complicated for me to follow. Isn't 'Cuse a national power in bball?

And out of the 3 I believe only Boston College fields a decent basketball team, while all 3 were good to great football teams at that time. All in all, looks like a football move to me.

Oh, make no doubt about it, the ACC expansion was purely for football reasons. The main bball schools Duke and UNC voted "no" consistently throughout the process. The main prize was Miami, and the conference divisions were set up to favor a Miami-FSU championship game. And yes, you're right Syracuse was originally the 3rd team. I think they were thrown in the mix to appease the basketball purists. And then, yes the Governor of Virginia (Mark Warner) - how shall we say - "encouraged" the UVA president to vote "no" unless VT was added to the mix. And there were lawsuits, in which VT switched sides midway.

But yes, it was about football - because no matter how good college basketball is, college football is by far the dominant money maker for college athletic programs. To be honest, I wish they would have dropped BC and kept Syracuse, because BC is an afterthought in the Boston sports market, while Syracuse is a decent college town. Actually if I got to choose, it would have been somebody entirely different, like snatching South Carolina back (they used to be ACC) or (shudder) WVU.

BC has contributed to basketball, and surprising so has VT - we came *this* close to winning the ACC last year, and made it to the 2nd round in the tourny. We're back down this year, but I see us getting the level of consistently finishing middle of the pack, and occasionally threatening for an ACC title. But the ACC basketball purists will probably never be happy, because they lost their beloved double round robin format, where every ACC team played each other twice, both home and away.

S.John -

I completely agree that the Big East should kick out ND. All the conferences should take a stand, IMO and not allow ND to join for any sports unless they join for football as well. One of the reasons I disliked being in the Big East is because they pandered to Notre Dame, including having some of the BEs bowl tie-ins be able to opt out and choose ND instead.

I said earlier that the B10 needed to decide what kind of conference it wanted to be - but that's even more true for the BE. Having 16 (or whatever) schools in the conference, only half of which play football is unwieldly at best. I understand the desire to keep the basketball side of things together, and keep UCONN and Syracuse competing with the likes of Georgetown but still...it's a wierd mishmash of a conference.

Archived