BwB Norcal

Bazzlebane

Nonsense. No offense to our Ursine Scot, but I've been trying to goad Xray into coming to one of our drink-ups since just about forever.

We will be in CA for Christmas, although I suspect that schedules all around will be packed. PM me your cell number. I promise I will not extort $0.15 per drunken text concerning monkeys from you. :P

P.S. I wasn't the gossip starter, that was Stego.

Oh, I wouldn't put all the blame on Stego. But I wouldn't put it on you, either. I asked a few *innocent* questions of the smoking crew, I seem to recall. :blush::lol:

Nonsense. No offense to our Ursine Scot, but I've been trying to goad Xray into coming to one of our drink-ups since just about forever.

Whoops, I was just going off of Mormont's post in either this or the Sexy Threads thread.

now keep in mind, the Mrs. doesn't read the board....

and in an effort to just pour a bit more on the lurkers from back east...

We'll be up in Napa for New Years... and I could be convinced to open the auxilery cellar if there was interest... though I know Bronn would hate it... (the house is in Napa proper, so its the south end of the valley, as opposed to calistoga)

thinking either sunday or monday (as most people except us have plans monday night).... and no, I won't card anyone <g>. Sadly, there is no arbor gold. no substitute for the real thing.

Just a thought, as you may have figured out, I like to socialize and need little excuse to drink.....

As to Friday, I had a great time, but I guessed I missed the random screaming girl. must have been swimming the "black prince at the time".

Have you started Before They Are Hanged yet?

That would be a No. I have to finish what I am currently reading (God's Demon by Barlowe) -- I'm a 1 at a time reader (at least as regards fiction). It will be started in next few days... I am seriously looking forward to it, and completely blown away (and I'm tottaly serious here) that the Mrs. wants to read it as other tha ASOIAF, she rarely moves from serious books and indian authors. Look at the positive impact you've had on my life :thumbsup:

In other news, I slept last night, and it was fucking glorious.

So you had a five-star erotic dream?

(Bazz has given implicit permission to follow TTTNE protocol in this thread. ;) )

I don't know why but I feel like making a con report sort of report for this meet. Maybe I miss cons and want to go one. Whatever.

General run-down

I arrive at what I thought was a late time to find no BWBers yet there. I found an empty, fairly large table in the back and set up shop. Eddard Stark arrived first, followed by Bazzlebane, then Teri and Tiffany. Then boiled leather and Rachel (Ms. Leather). Then the peninsula crew arrived. We moved up to the front to be near the smoking area and to catch new people as they came in. As I went out to smoke, Bronn and Lodey arrived. MSI101 and nkmayers arrived soon after while I wasn't looking because I had never seen them in real life before.

Random things talked about

A random smoking friend and I started talking about gambling. LOB walked out to smoke and we went into sports betting. A quick mention to AG that Juno rocks. Our different career paths with Bazz. The town of Jackson and BL's son with BL. PARKING - everyone at one time or another. Law School with nkmayers. He lives in the same town as me now and actually goes to the same law school I dropped out of. Picking a career with MSI101 (anyone who knows what they want to do when they're 20 is crazy). The BWB - past, present and future with Lodey. How Lodey has an awesome career (Lodey was modest). Other authors including Bakker with Bronn. The upcoming GRRM convention with Lodey and Eddard Stark. Then there was the book talk. Damn there was a lot of book talk. The optimal way to read the book series integrated with the novellas. The best medium to enter someone into the series (books, novellas, audiotapes, comic books). Favorite scenes both at the time you read each book and now that you've read the whole series. The LOTR eagles dropping the ring into the fire and how there is nothing really like that in ASOIAF. Many more book-related things I am forgetting.

Kat arrived a bit earlier than expected while Lodey and I were outside.

Teri and Tiffany bowed out early but not before taking some good pics. Bronn Stone left without saying goodbye to me. :cry: Everyone else basically stayed to the end. Lodey and I were apparently outside when they made last call. Ten minutes to 2am, the bartenders started yelling. Lodey tried to get another beer, thinking it was last call and the bartender told him it was "Get the fuck out! Call". Many of the group were going up and down the street to eat during the night so we basically split once the bar closed.

It was a great time.

So what's next? I don't know if XRay visiting Bazz is open to the whole group? Boiled Leather's New Year's wine country idea? Lodey's idea of something like a private con party up in a hotel suite? The Haight again (I'm dropping my car off at a Bart and taking a cab if so)?

:thumbsup: Great post, Jon. Proves that it's handy to have sober members of the BwB who can make our meet-ups sound as if they involve reasoned, literate discourse. Maybe it actually did. I have no idea.

ETA: There are no plans in place with the Xs as of yet, but I'm flying out on the 26th so the window (for my involvement) is small.

So you'll be MIA if we go with bl's plan for a New Year's party?

I'm flying back the 31st. But New Year's Plans are tricky, family-wise, because of the baby. Plus, even if we can arrange a babysitter, my buddy in San Jose usually hosts some sort of shindig that we attend. It's unlikely I would be able to make it.

Archived