Dumbledore is Gay

Mossman

I've been suspecting that Dumbledore was gay for a while, but I think Rowling should have left it up to the readers to make up their own minds. As it is, it is almost as if she's asking for more slash fanfiction.

Yeah, I've been convinced of this for some time too, it's nice to have author confirmation though. GRRM said that Renly and Loras were intended to be gay rather than let the readers "make up their own minds," then again, I guess he put in enough textual evidence so that it wasn't really debatable anyway.

I prefer not to read about such pieces of information outside of the books, thank you very much. The books themselves are supposed to be self contained. JKR has an annoying tendency to create canon in interviews rather than within her body of work.

Whatever happened to having your story, you know, tell your story, as opposed to interviews? When you have to tell detailed accounts of the characters of your series in an interview, something is wrong, me thinks (such as her continuation of the epilogue, providing the futures of characters that the epilogue didn't concern).

Oh well.

Yeah, I've been convinced of this for some time too, it's nice to have author confirmation though. GRRM said that Renly and Loras were intended to be gay rather than let the readers "make up their own minds," then again, I guess he put in enough textual evidence so that it wasn't really debatable anyway.

Would you believe there are still people who either manage to miss the fact or try to deny it?

JKR has an annoying tendency to create canon in interviews rather than within her body of work.

Yeah, not too fond of authors who do that myself. Not everyone reads every interview an author ever does just to see if he/she will add something new to the canon.

Would you believe there are still people who either manage to miss the fact or try to deny it?

Yeah, not too fond of authors who do that myself. Not everyone reads every interview an author ever does just to see if he/she will add something new to the canon.

IIRC, doesn't GRRM do this sometimes? Or perhaps its seen mostly as a confirmation?

I agree that canon being revealed in interviews is stupid, but at least it's completely irrelevant to the plot. It'll be amusing to hear about the inevitable homophobes that'll throw away the tainted books they've been tricked into buying too.

She created a huge amount of backstory, much of it never making it into the books. Quite simply, they didn't fit. But the information was there. Fans asked for it. She gave it to them.

I don't see a problem.

She couldn't fit a sentence like "He realised he loved Grindelwald" or something of the effect into the last book? Now she tells that Dumbledore was gay, right after people started to question the lack of gay/lesbian characters in HP? That's a bit too much of a coincidence for me.

Archived