Goodkind XXIX.A: Taste the World of Richard and Kahlan!

Jaxom 1974

I decided to list some similarities and differences between Richard and Kellhus (spoilers for Prince of Nothing and the backcover blurb of Great Ordeal):

Similarities:

- Both have a sword and wield it to great effect.

- Richard's sword is called the Sword of Truth (which should more accurately be named the Sword of Certainty, since the sword's powers depend on the user being certain that he's doing the right thing, instead of any objective reality) while the name of Kellhus's sword means Certainty.

- Both act like sociopaths while being hailed as epitomes of truth and goodness.

- Both like making speeches.

- Both convert people to their chosen way of life.

- Both lead armies.

- Both commit war crimes.

- Both desert their own armies temporarily.

- Both are good-looking, popular with women, and end up with a beauty who becomes their second-in-command.

- Both end up ruling a powerful empire.

- Richard's citizens do daily prayer Devotions to their Lord Rahl, while Kellhus is worshipped as the Aspect-Emperor.

- Both have been known to snatch arrows from flight.

- Both learn things really, really fast, including things like foreign languages and advanced mathematics.

- Both have rare innate magical talent.

- Both can do awesome magic on a level that hasn't been seen for thousands of years, and it comes easily to them.

- Richard turns out to be master sculptor while Kellhus turns out to be a master composer. Both do that without any particular skill focus or commitment that we know about. Their raw talent is simply that big.

- Both are enemies of their fathers and fight them in a battle of wits.

- Both have an enemy that can possess other people.

- Both have grown up in an isolated place where the people have decided to forget all about magic for some mysterious reason.

- Both get captured and tortured to no real effect.

- Richard follows an evil, self-centered, rationalist philosophy called Objectivism, which claims to be the objective truth. Kellhus follows an evil, self-centered, rationalist philosophy called Dûnyain (= the Truth), which claims to be the objective truth.

Differences:

- Richard marries the highest status woman in the whole world. Kellhus marries a commoner whore.

- Richard is an accident of birth with important relatives. Kellhus is the result of a prolonged breeding program.

- Richard's swordmanship is powered by rage. Kellhus's swordmanship is powered by emotionless inner clarity.

- Richard gets the skill of his predecessors automatically by magic. Kellhus has training.

- Richard gets tortured by a young, sexy dominatrix and it's told about in great detail. Kellhus gets tortured by the old, unsexy members of a barbarian tribe, and it's told about in little detail.

- Richard's sword is magical. Kellhus's sword is not.

- Richard appears to be Chaotic Evil. Kellhus is clearly Lawful Evil.

Myshkin,

I read somewhere that Tairy HATES the idea of ARCs. Something about undeserving people getting their grubby hands on his beautiful masterpeices for free. If you don't pay for it you don't deserve it, and if you don't deserve it you choose death.

Actually what you read was the result of one of my channelling experiences with Terry Goodkind's mind. A particularly successful one I might dare to say. :P

Now behold my obscure powers of mind merging!

No, I won’t be sending any ARC!

I’ve been asked if there will be ARC of my forthcoming book and I would like to address this matter because I believe that is far more important than some would think.

I do not send ARC on principle. After all, what is an advance reader’s copy but a theft of the writer’s well earned economic rights; each ARC means one less book sold, and a pathetic way to try to win the hearts of a few more readers by simply stroking the self inflated egos of a clique of bloggers, who happen to be just a bunch of frustrated writers.

In real life you have to deserve what you want, an ARC is something that is not deserved. You have not paid for it, you are given it for free; you have not earned your right to own it. Not only this, ARC are bad for publishers, some of them have given up so many ARC of a single book, like the case of that fantasy novel by Scott Lynch; Red Seas Under Red Skies, that now their stocks are so low that amazon.co.uk is unable to cope with the demand and are having problems shipping the books in time.

There is only one way to prove yourself as a writer, this way is the harsh battle fought day after day on the bookstores’ shelves. It’s here where those who are fit survive and sell millions and those who are not good enough sink, unable to cope with their inability to create art or simply write one more book of their failing series.

Do not expect ARC’s of my next and definitive work. I’m not playing this game nor are publishers. They know very well that you, faithful readers are mature enough to know what you want to read without a literary guru telling you. They know that if you are reading my books is because you understand their message and this message is totally opposed to what an ARC is.

Be ready for the last battle; be ready for the moment when my next book hits the shelves.

Actually what you read was the result of one of my channelling experiences with Terry Goodkind's mind. A particularly successful one I might dare to say. :P

Now behold my obscure powers of mind merging!

Ah, I see that my reality has been invaded by your sly mind. In future please notify me at least three days in advance of your mind-rape. Thank you.

Myshkin, you're gonna choose death by asking or a three day advance notice? You seem just as weak in moral celery as those who give out ARCs, like that ass Scott Lynch who writes fantasy and Yeard doesn't read fantasy so he never heard about him with his book that Amazon can't ship because his stock is so low. You must be Chuck Norris. Play Russian Roulette with a loaded pistol and win. Know what he's planning on doing before he does it.

Choose Life.

Also, Chuck Norris jokes are hilarious.

Chuck Norris doesn't believe in Germany.

Do writer's have any say about ARCs? I mean, sure TG makes a point, very minor to be sure, that more ARCs mean less money in his pocket, by the oh 25-50 books that there might be, right? That should be a drop in the well for such a well sold author such as TG, right? What's his issue? Greed? Arogance (that was rhetorical there, people!)?

Shouldn't it be his publisher's perogative to ship ARCs so THEY can move more books and make more money? I suppose that TG could just be so big that he can push his peeps about and pull some spines.

To my mind, not shipping ARCs seems a little like movie studios refusing to show a screening for the critics before an opening because they know it's a bomb of a film.

We've already discussed this point: TG doesn't want a reviewer who knows what he's talking about (There are few of those out there, but they exist) say "These books are regurgitated crap about an idiotic philosophy".

Gods, is that quote above actually by the Yeard himself?

In one way, I understand him..if he does ARCs, he won't get any money out of his book, as the 3 dozen dedicated simpletons who actually adore him will already have got it for free.

Reading those threads always reminds me of how much I love Neil Gaiman who actually cares about his readership. And tells you where you can get his books for cheap.

Thank you my fellow lemmings, I feel honoured.

You should know by now that I'm the Prophet of the Yeard.

By the way, I've been thinking and this, you will agree with me; it's bad. You just have to look at what happens when I decide to think instead of doing something productive like working or simply refraining myself from using my lazy brain cells.

Alas, I've been thinking and I would like to share my thoughts with you. I was thinking about what to do to celebrate the publishing of the last book of the Sword of Truth saga, the culminating work of these Self Help Through Hentai books. It's not very often than a fantasy author finishes a series and it's even rarer that a non fantasy authors does this.

After much thinking (all right, just a few seconds, but I lazy, you know) I had an idea. I remembered that Terry Goodkind said once that he didn't want that someone created a role playing game with his Sword of Truth. In fact he was adverse to the mere concept of people playing a game based on the Sword of Truth. Wouldn't it be fitting that we, lemmings, started a Sword of Truth campaign to celebrate the arrival of the last book of the series?

We could create a thread in Forum Games. To make sure that Yeardites didn't complain we would change the names of the characters and the series. So, who is playing Robert Reich the Searcher of Verity and Cathlen the Inquisitor?

After much thinking (all right, just a few seconds, but I lazy, you know) I had an idea. I remembered that Terry Goodkind said once that he didn't want that someone created a role playing game with his Sword of Truth. In fact he was adverse to the mere concept of people playing a game based on the Sword of Truth. Wouldn't it be fitting that we, lemmings, started a Sword of Truth campaign to celebrate the arrival of the last book of the series?

We could create a thread in Forum Games. To make sure that Yeardites didn't complain we would change the names of the characters and the series. So, who is playing Robert Reich the Searcher of Verity and Cathlen the Inquisitor?

I have to say, if Richard Rahl was a Dungeons and Dragons character, he'd have levels in Frenzied Berserker. It is the only class ridiculous enough to balance its advantages with penalties to other players. And it is therefore the ultimate class of objectivism.

I have to say, if Richard Rahl was a Dungeons and Dragons character, he'd have levels in Frenzied Berserker. It is the only class ridiculous enough to balance its advantages with penalties to other players. And it is therefore the ultimate class of objectivism.

Wouldn't any roll done by Dick result in critical damage/critical success. And all characters who meet Nichi or K'lan would get critical INT check failures cause of teh boobies.

Not sure it belongs here but what I just saw at the top of this board left me flabbergasted...

Look at this what is infiltrating threads and this very forum. Ancient, evil ads (by google!). Tairy and his objectivism minions are infiltrating google!

This!

:o

As some here ought to know, anything and everything RPG-related confuses me. When I start to envision massed armies of vampiric squirrels and blood orange-eating mistresses of evil leading attacks against soldja boy Richard, you know my mind is wandering... ;)

And that Ayn Rand link is indeed worrisome. I'm waiting for the BDSM links to be mentioned here next, so Tairy's other fetish can be discussed.

I should really keep a closer eye on these threads but I've trusted the judgement of the people here to police themselve and broadly they've done a good job, but inciting death and rape towards people is blatantly unacceptable and will result in comment deletions. Keep it under control, people.

Archived