NFL V

grozeng

Did you watch the game? The defense had a hard time getting off the field. Brady did not see the ball much in the Third quarter. The Fins had long drives that Belichick was angry about after the game.

Nope. Just read that they took him out. Brady took off his eye-black. The Dolphins score and they put Belicheck back in for the meaningless TD in a 21 point game. So I guess you are right that Brady and Co rotted on the bench in the 3rd Q. But from everything I have read, Brady was not so much rotting on the bench as waiting for the game to be over, because if he took off his eye-black he clearly did not think he would be coming back into a game they were leading by 28 points (or 21 points).

Nope. Just read that they took him out. Brady took off his eye-black. The Dolphins score and they put Belicheck back in for the meaningless TD in a 21 point game. So I guess you are right that Brady and Co rotted on the bench in the 3rd Q. But from everything I have read, Brady was not so much rotting on the bench as waiting for the game to be over, because if he took off his eye-black he clearly did not think he would be coming back into a game they were leading by 28 points (or 21 points).

There was a funny thing in the highlights for that game up here in Canada on a channel called the Score. They had shots of Tom Brady passing his hand towel off to Cassel and then getting it back later when he went back in later. Essentially saying it was the Hand Towel of Invincibility and that Tommy Boy was disgusted that he gave the towel to a lowly earthling like Cassel.

I've picked against the Patriots (Spread) for the last two weeks. Does Washington have a healthy, legit defense? "Experts" talk about ways to stop the Patriots, but the Bills and the Dolphins showed a way. Long, sustained drives. The Dolphins owned the third Q. Brady and company rotted on the bench. Of course those only help if you have the lead.

I'm not a stats guru as some are, but why does it just seem that the key to holding the Patriots in check long enough to try to keep up or beat them is to have a solid pass defense? I mean, how many games have they played with total running yardage has been over 100 yards? Stop the Passing, Save the World (to paraphrase, right?)

Granted the skill of the recievers and the QB, but why does it seem like no one is (or can) attack the pass game? Yeesh.

As Belichick often says: The TV doesn't show enough for me to evaluate. However, I think the problem is the Patriots just change things up too much. They played max protect, 3 TE's, with one wide (Moss) or 4 wides (Moss, Welker, Stallworth, TE or RB.) They throw it deep when it is open or underneath when that is open. They always seem to do what is needed. I think the running game will attempt to return in future weeks.

Granted the skill of the recievers and the QB, but why does it seem like no one is (or can) attack the pass game? Yeesh.

Because no one can pressure Brady. The Offensive Line has been incredible. And it also helps that Moss is playing incredible and pulling down anything thrown his way even in triple coverage.

Indianapolis (with Freeney) and the Giants are going to be the two toughest tests since theoretically they should be able to pressure Brady. But without anyone so far putting any pressure on him, he has had all day to find the open receivers.

The Pats have faced two good teams this year, and thats it.

Well, we do ACTUALLY have to beat every team we face… they don’t just roll over… and you could include the Jets because the Jets WERE a playoff team last season... then agaion, the Pats last season had Reche Caldwell as our #1 WR so ...

And San Diego wasn't firing on all cylinders during that contest (it can be argued that they weren't firing on any cylinders). And since its said (mostly by New England fans) that the NFC doesn't matter, neither does the Dallas win.

1) the REASON the Chargers were “not firing on all cylinders†was because the Pats so utterly dominated them. I was at that game; the Chargers could have been firing on other team’s cylinders, it wasn’t going to matter. 2) And its universally accepted that the NFC is the weaker of the Conferences- nobody seriously disputes this. However, they STILL had a 5-0 team that the pats… WHOPPED on. So, that DOES matter. Nice try though.

The stellar offensive performance has not been tested against a defense with the ability to stop them.

That’s because the NFL doesn’t field a team from Krypton. In all seriousness, Dallas and the Chargers had teams “capable†of being competitive with almost every team in the NFL… save one.

The Colts, on the other hand, have faced and beaten several good teams so far and are also undefeated. This makes Indy the better team, because no matter what the number comparisons are, one team has had challenges while the other has not.

The Pats have HAD challenges, we just have OBLITERATED them. Now, its NOT to say Indy is not a great team; they are. They MAY VERY WELL BE the best team in football (the performance last night indicates that they have serious game comparable to the Pats). However, its not exactly difficult to say the Pats are the best team because… well… what they are doing right now is obscene. They are playing at another level.

One team is equal to the schoolyard bully picking on the nerds while his lackeys (fans) proclaim him to be the second coming,

Well, again, (and I know you block my posts so…) you’re just ignoring the evidence. The Pats are playing ridiculous football- yes, the AFC East is dreadful, but it would be more competitive if the past were not so stupidly good. And we are not “picking†on anyone. Don’t like us? STOP US!!! And I do remember a game this week subject to a 20+ comeback… so, running up the score is not exactly unnecessary. But thatnks for calling me a lackey. What name would you like me to call you? Oh, that's right you block my posts (the cultural equivalent of putting yoru hands up to your ears and shouting "LALALALALA!!!! I'm not listening to you!!! LALALALA!!!!)

while the other team is equal to the guy who quietly goes about his business on the playground, schooling everyone in whatever game is chosen to play, while waiting for the bully to come try him.

There is nothing quiet about Manning. By contrast, BRADY is the quiet one (turn on the TV sometime- take a look at the commercials). Both are doing their job, schooling their opponents, and I rarely compare Brady to Jesus. The only differece is- NOBODY EXPECTED IT to be like this! Nobody expected Brady- the effective one -to be so dominant and to just be on a collision course with Manning's records.

Your hatred of the Pats is... fun.

Championship or not, it must be damn fun to be a Pats fan right now.

I’ve written long posts about what a great ride this has been and people usually say I’m an asshole. Whatever. But the fact is… we were 1-15 in 1991… between the SB XX and Bill Parcell’s THIRD season, we had TWO winning seasons. We were DEAD last in revenue. Heart Lee Dykes? Eugene Chung? Zeke Mowatt? I remember I used to think Hugh Millen was a good QB. I wish I was kidding. When I was young, I couldn’t watch Pats games because they were blacked out (NFL broadcasting rules). I still followed them. I LOVED the Pats. And all of a sudden… wham-bam- oh-WTF? We’re the gold standard in pro football. Its surreal.

And yeah, I’m a loud mouth about it, but I find it’s a two-way street.

They had shots of Tom Brady passing his hand towel off to Cassel and then getting it back later when he went back in later. Essentially saying it was the Hand Towel of Invincibility and that Tommy Boy was disgusted that he gave the towel to a lowly earthling like Cassel.

Its actually the Hand-Towel of Evil. Casell just could not harness its true evil. We will either cut him from the team or execute him in Foxboro Center.

Well given it was in the early in the 4th quarter with plenty of time left to be played. The need to keep the pressure on is harldy unjustifiable. How far down were the Texans when they put in Sage? How close did that game become. You have to put opponents away.

Well given it was in the early in the 4th quarter with plenty of time left to be played. The need to keep the pressure on is harldy unjustifiable. How far down were the Texans when they put in Sage? How close did that game become. You have to put opponents away.

I guess we can agree to disagree. Putting him back in to keep pressure in a 21 point game that was really not that close was not really necessary (unless you are a Pats fan - the rest of the world seems to think it was overkill and a good way to get your star QB hurt). Now if it was to teach the fins a lesson for Jason Taylor's antics, then I am OK with it but still would not like it if I were a Pats fan because it is a good way to get your star QB hurt.

The Colts played rough last night. The Colts may be the "classy" team, but they were not handing out scented towels after each tackle. And another starting QB bit the dust. :thumbsdown:

Yeah, but I saw nothing suspicious about the hit on Garrard. Don't think it's possible to argue there was any ill-intent based on how he came in there.

Can't recall the Colts defense looking this good.

I guess we can agree to disagree. Putting him back in to keep pressure in a 21 point game that was really not that close was not really necessary (unless you are a Pats fan - the rest of the world seems to think it was overkill and a good way to get your star QB hurt). Now if it was to teach the fins a lesson for Jason Taylor's antics, then I am OK with it but still would not like it if I were a Pats fan because it is a good way to get your star QB hurt.

The defense was slacking and with one more turn over the game coulda fallen apart. The Dolphins knew it, they talked about after wards that a 14 point game with time on the clock the game can be won. The defense was looking like crud and all it would take is a turn-over, a special teams mistake, whatever, to let them back in. No lead is safe with more then 2 min left in the game. Sometimes not even that. We saw it with Cards and Bears last year, the Colts-Bucs, the Patriots-Dolphins three years back. Even against a bad team, the lead is not safe. Just because the rest of the football world has the memory of 10 seconds doesn't mean that they are right. :rolleyes:

Jason Taylor can kill Tom Brady as easily in the 1st Q, than in the 4th. His job is the play football. As I have said several times, if you did not see the game you might not understand. The Dolphins dominated the 3rd Q. Belichick was angry with the way his defense played. This is not preseason. You do not have 80+ players. You have 53, minus inactives, you only have so many backups to play. The starting defense spent a lot of time on the field to get it right. Brady came back to put it away after horrible play by Cassell. First a penality, then the interception.

Would I be angry if I was a Dolphins fan? Probably. But I would also have been hoping for a comeback. Belichick will constantly remind his players about the lead they lost to the Colts.

Yeah, but I saw nothing suspicious about the hit on Garrard. Don't think it's possible to argue there was any ill-intent based on how he came in there.

Wasn't implying the hit was "dirty". Only the Patriots do that. :pirate: Just that the Defense was not so finnese last night. They were hitting hard and came to play.

Wasn't implying the hit was "dirty". Only the Patriots do that. :pirate:

Speaking of which what about Sensei Belichick calling for the fake spike in the first half? Just heard about it secondhand, what was up with that?

Sweep the leg?

Speaking of which what about Sensei Belichick calling for the fake spike in the first half? Just heard about it secondhand, what was up with that?

Tried to throw to Moss in the end zone. Missed. Scored on the next play, I think to Welker. Welker had some funny comments after the game. Reporters were asking him why he doesn't get the same type of routes that Moss gets. His response was that he was working on those deficiencies (lack of height). :lol: As far the the touchdown, this was one of the few times the Patriots have run the two minute drill this year. I think Bill was using it as a live practice before the half.

Sweep the leg?

Time was short, looked like Moss had a clear shot to the end zone. Why spike it when you can score right then? It certainly slowed down the pass rush.

At what point is it nitpicking? At what point is the microscope jsut not the correct tool to use here?

Seriously- the fake spike, the fact that Brady went back in, the fact that the Pats D looked poor in the 3rd Quarter (after being up 41-14...); I don't see the vexing issues worthy of debate. The Pats were the better team and burried the Dolphins who were utterly hapless to stop it. Just as Jason Taylor is paid to play every play, so is Tom Brady, Wes Welker, and Randy Moss.

At what point is it nitpicking? At what point is the microscope jsut not the correct tool to use here?

Seriously- the fake spike, the fact that Brady went back in, the fact that the Pats D looked poor in the 3rd Quarter (after being up 41-14...); I don't see the vexing issues worthy of debate. The Pats were the better team and burried the Dolphins who were utterly hapless to stop it. Just as Jason Taylor is paid to play every play, so is Tom Brady, Wes Welker, and Randy Moss.

Um...read FO's take on it (Patriots Fans no less):

Aaron Schatz: I’m enjoying this as much as all the rest of the Patriots fans, but running the fake spike play at the end of the second quarter up 35-7 is a bit much. I know you guys aren’t happy about all those times Miami beat you in the heat and humidity, but that is really, really bad sportsmanship.

Ben Riley: Lots of words could be used to describe the Patriots, so let me add another: Classless. With a capital “C.†Leading 35-7, Brady just did the whole “fake spike to stop the clock†with 33 seconds in the first half. The Patriots are playing near perfect football — it’s a shame they seem to have forgotten about sportsmanship.

At what point do you actually attempt to look at your team objectively?

Archived