Who is doing NaNoWriMo this year?

Nymeria87

Dammit, you're all making me want to sign up. Must. Resist. Temptation.

Good luck and good writing to those who joined!

Oh so very true, but then again, maybe it's worth it?

Anyway, yay for insanity :D

Perhaps for many. I don't think I could take it. I have plots abound, but I get distarcted really easily, and I have busy work.

Fifth time for me. Going for my fourth straight victory. I actually have a pretty good idea ahead of time this year, whereas last year my first idea came to squat and I didn't get my winning idea until Nov. 5th.

Wow. I bow to your greatness. :thumbsup:

Okay, I'm gonna take the plunge...I haven't been writing all year because I'm too busy, and it's killing me...just gonna attempt, sure I'll probably fail miserably, but at least I'll get something written!

ETA: my NaNoWriMo screenname is noranne

But what about sleep, Nora? ;)

Sleep when I'm dead! :|

Hah! Good point.

If I ever do enter, I'll probably go with my vampires plot. *shrug* Might as well get started with it. I know someone who will do something of a series of one-shots for this year. Sounds like a good idea to me.

ETA: Joined. I'm so dead.

This will be NaNoWriMo #5 for me as well. I achieved the goal the first three years but did not have much success last year. It's really a great exercise, I love it and hope that I'm able to get in and get to the finish line once more this year.

Here are my two general pieces of advice. Most anyone who has ever written the 50,000 words in a month will probably tell you something similar.

1. Don't be afraid to write something that you know is kind of crap just for the sake of getting some words on paper. NaNo is not about writing the next Great American Novel, it's about writing a novel. You can fix it later. If you get stuck... make something up and roll with it.

2. Set yourself a goal of 2,000 words per day, to give you a cushion over the 1,667 words per day that is "on pace". This sounds quite daunting, but it's not as hard as it sounds. You should anticipate 2,000 words to take you about two hours per day, because you will probably find you settle into about 1,000 words per hour.

It is a lot of fun! Welcome to the madness, for all those who have joined for the first time this year. Hopefully we will all experience victory! :)

:cheers: Yay! We're both nuts!

Yes. I know.

I'm melrose_stormhaven there. I'll add you up as a buddy.

Any plots so far? I'm thinking something supernatural for this.

This will be NaNoWriMo #5 for me as well. I achieved the goal the first three years but did not have much success last year. It's really a great exercise, I love it and hope that I'm able to get in and get to the finish line once more this year.

Here are my two general pieces of advice. Most anyone who has ever written the 50,000 words in a month will probably tell you something similar.

Thanks! Your advice will be very helpful in the course of the insanity. :)

Uh-oh. I chose one of my novels to work on and registered on the website. There's no turning back now. I sincerely doubt I'll get 50,000 words written by the end of November, but hopefully I'll still manage something substantial.

As for content, my novel is generic fantasy, but with lots of stereotype subversion. I hope. Farmboy of destiny, check. Wise yet unnecessarily cryptic old mentor, check. Assortment of badass motherfucker warrior types, check. Megalomaniacal dark lord, check. Sentient magical sword, check. The only thing I'm missing is the prologue of mysterious expository doom, but I've got enough on my plate without having to make that part interesting, too. Oh, can't forget the buttsex. I've always got to include at least a little buttsex. Which means I have to decide whether to make it implied or graphic or somewhere in between. Whatever. It'll be a while before I have to write one of those scenes, so I'll just ponder the question awhile.

Also, my screenname on the site is the same as here. However, I can't seem to find a way to search for other users, so I'll post a link for convenience:

diabloblanco18

On checking my old stories, I've discovered that one A4 page of single-spaced 12pt font amounts to 550 - 700 words, so 50k words is about 70-100 pages.

Damn, I'm tempted now. And Wolf Maid - in my country, we have a proverb: forsworn bread goes down easily. :)

Uh-oh. I chose one of my novels to work on and registered on the website. There's no turning back now. I sincerely doubt I'll get 50,000 words written by the end of November, but hopefully I'll still manage something substantial.

Also, my screenname on the site is the same as here. However, I can't seem to find a way to search for other users, so I'll post a link for convenience:

diabloblanco18

Same here. Mine's something on vampires, and it's chockful of cliches I'm going to try to subvert:

It has vampires who want to take over the world, vampire hunters who want to stop them, magical artifacts, professors who are not what they seem, and destructive, obsessive love, shadowy organizations, demons that won't stay in hell, incarnations, magic, hot sex, guns, swords, books...Like diabloblanco18, I will add also hot buttsex, and, sentinent trees (although how's that going to fit in with the vamps I have yet to figure out).

Damn, I'm tempted now. And Wolf Maid - in my country, we have a proverb: forsworn bread goes down easily. :)

Thank you for the proverb, Maid Sansa.

...do I have to say, 'Join us?'

and this is my NaNoWriMo username: melrose_stormhaven

You're all making this sound really tempting. Maybe I'll sign up. But... If I reach the goal, and I have to submit the 'book,' to verify word count, what happens to it? I'm not worried about somebody stealing it, because it's going to suck anyway. But I'd hate to think that somebody would actually be able to see it.

And what do you get for completing it anyway? Your name on a list? (Not that I would expect more.)

I've started a story a few weeks ago. About 5,000 words, but I've been considering restarting since a lot of things have changed already. Perhaps I'll toss it and start again the 1st (don't want to cheat). I won't be subverting any chliche's, but using them shamelessly. Farmboy? Got him. Magic sword? Yup. Useless mentor? There he is. All that's left is to find something for him to do. :rolleyes:

EDIT - Alright, I'm in. But I guarantee, this is will not end well.

So who wants to be my buddy? Muttering_Bill

Here's the link for me--> noranne

So although all year I've been thinking about different ideas for novels and even getting excited about some of them before being like, nah, I do not have time to write barely at all, and besides, I should finish some of the stuff that I have started before starting something new.

But now that I've refreshingly decided to dive into NaNoWriMo, I am BLANK. I can't think of a single decent plot idea. Or characters. Or anything. I usually love this kind of stuff...I have to have something to work from come next Thursday! Eek! I can't even decide if I want to do sci fi or fantasy...argh!

I've buddied up with everyone who linked to their profiles.

Like diabloblanco18, I will add also hot buttsex, and, sentinent trees (although how's that going to fit in with the vamps I have yet to figure out).

Sentient trees...hadn't thought of that one. If I do include them, I'll definitely score points with Happy Ent on the "arboreal perspective." If I don't...then I won't have to worry about how the heck I'm going to fit them into the world I've imagined. Which would be tough. I think I might be better off with just the buttsex. That, at least, was in there from the beginning.

Same here. Mine's something on vampires, and it's chockful of cliches I'm going to try to subvert:

I will add also hot buttsex, and, sentinent trees (although how's that going to fit in with the vamps I have yet to figure out).

and this is my NaNoWriMo username: melrose_stormhaven

Go the unconventional route. Write about vampire trees that engage in buttsex. That way you can kill three birds with one stone.

You guys are really temping me with this NaNo writing thing. There is so much that I need to do... and yet the temptation is still there. I'm going to try and resist, but I've always been a self destructive individual...

If I do join I'll have to dust off some of my story ideas...

Maybe a murder mystery involving an alien life-form?

Zombies?

Traveling Christian sideshow wrestlers that break stuff?

Maybe all three?

Also, speaking of vampires, maybe I could write about a reverse vampire. This guy, he can't even stand in shade without bursting into flames. And he has to sleep in a tanning booth. That would be cool.

Argh... must resist... must not sign up.

So, did you sign up already, Zap? :P

And Nora, I so know that feeling, I'm working on gods and goddesses right now and somehow got struck with a really blank streak as far as coming up with names is concerned...I don't want to just use the Greek equivalents, so I'll sit down and be creative like...Now!

(after having done so during work - bless the slow days :P)

Added you, Muttering Bill. Why don't you have the hero...save the world from an evil gardener or something, out to destroy the agricultural economy of their world. :P

But now that I've refreshingly decided to dive into NaNoWriMo, I am BLANK. I can't think of a single decent plot idea. Or characters. Or anything. I usually love this kind of stuff...I have to have something to work from come next Thursday! Eek! I can't even decide if I want to do sci fi or fantasy...argh!

Well, if you check out the forums, there's an adopt-a-plot and an adopt-a-character threads there. Check it out, and maybe you'll find some inspiration.

Go the unconventional route. Write about vampire trees that engage in buttsex. That way you can kill three birds with one stone.

Also, speaking of vampires, maybe I could write about a reverse vampire. This guy, he can't even stand in shade without bursting into flames. And he has to sleep in a tanning booth. That would be cool.

Argh... must resist... must not sign up.

ZAP! All those ideas. Makes me want to steal them. Especially the ones on the vampires! Sign up! Or you could do a continuation of the Steven Segal drinks you did. :P

Also, how about wrestling Christians who are actually detectives out to solve the mystery of a murdered zombie alien? :)

And Nora, I so know that feeling, I'm working on gods and goddesses right now and somehow got struck with a really blank streak as far as coming up with names is concerned...I don't want to just use the Greek equivalents, so I'll sit down and be creative like...Now!

Try...Hindu or Assyrian/Babylonian ones. *is shot*

This long weekend, I plan to plot and outline as far as I can. I hope I'll come up with something decent.

Archived