comics

dornish prince

I'm really enjoying some of the new superhero titles out right now. The Order in particular has been a big surprise, and I've been enjoying The Initative by Dan Slott, which is wierd since I didn't care much for Civil War.

All Star Superman and Astro City continue to be awesome, when they come out.

Also, The Umbrella Academy is fantastic, which I totally was not expecting since it's written by the front man of My Chemical Romance, who I hate.

Finished Dark Knight archives. Honestly it doesn't read much worse - regarding dialogue - than a lot of early 90's comic did. Love seeing the origins of "The Cat" and that Bruce rocks the pipe everywhere.

Also just bought a sweet piece of original Dave Lapham art from Harbinger#12 :bow:

Forgot to mention:

Just got around to reading Ed Brubaker's Dead Boy Detectives (Vertigo) and loved it. I'm going to reread a lot of Shade and Generation X to target a Bachalo page.

Unrelated:

Also was able to pick up a Spidey 2099 color cover and another page from 52 (I'm stockpiling)

Forgot to mention:

Just got around to reading Ed Brubaker's Dead Boy Detectives (Vertigo) and loved it. I'm going to reread a lot of Shade and Generation X to target a Bachalo page.

Unrelated:

Also was able to pick up a Spidey 2099 color cover and another page from 52 (I'm stockpiling)

52, huh? You looking to compete with Pants from CGS?

52, huh? You looking to compete with Pants from CGS?

I recently became aware of that via a podcast, but no I don't have any desire to compete with anyone for anything. I don't want every page from 52, my focus is not that extreme on any issue of series, but if I want a page I'll win it :) The pages he got from Catskills (Ollife) were up for awhile, Spencer has had a ton of them up for awhile along with a few other scattered at different places, and I had not interest in those particular pages that I haven't already picked up (although a couple I certainly considered). I would guess he has been guy that's been raising the average price on ebay for a couple pages in the series (by bidding - I suspect he may have been the low bidder on the most recent page I won from the series) recently but I don't lose on the ones I bid on :fence:

So stockpiling may be a bad word choice for me - yes I love the series, yes I have more than a few pages, but I'm only targeting specific pages (where I believe he is attempting to be more comprehensive) and perhaps a cover for Christmas!

In the end I love that there is passion for a great series!

If I were (collecting comprehensively), I hope he has deep pockets :) because we would murder each other's bottom line on auctions I think :lol:

I understand... particularly the part about the passion for the series. I really enjoyed it as well. I'm not sure what to make of Countdown - is the problem Dini or does it lie elsewhere. Maybe it's me. All I know is that the story isn't nearly as tight and the from an editorial standpoint, it's downright painful for me. However, now that we're past the halfway point, I can't see myself giving up on it.

BTW, I just recently started lurking at the CGS forum, so it's nice to see a familar name.

I haven't really got into Countdown but I was really impressed with 52. I think the difference is the overall differences between the creative teams. 52 was like DC's A-Team; Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, Greg Rucka, Keith Giffen, Mark Waid. Chances are if your a DC fan your a fan of one or two of those guys, if not all of them. The guys on Countdown are a bit more of a mixed bag I think. Gray and Palmiotti are pretty good, and I think Beechen has some talent, the others I'm not so sure about. Paul Dini seems to have slipped in quality some, his first few issues of Detective Comics were decent but they haven't maintained that quality.

I understand... particularly the part about the passion for the series. I really enjoyed it as well. I'm not sure what to make of Countdown - is the problem Dini or does it lie elsewhere. Maybe it's me. All I know is that the story isn't nearly as tight and the from an editorial standpoint, it's downright painful for me. However, now that we're past the halfway point, I can't see myself giving up on it.

BTW, I just recently started lurking at the CGS forum, so it's nice to see a familar name.

I recently have been introduced to podcasts and become a huge fan of comics (indeed it's the inspiration for FBS to move to that route in 2008 (we have some big announcements lined up regarding that soon). I try to not get to invested in comic book forums because in many ways its likw Star Wars forums and you have to be careful not to get to vested in discussion with somebody who may be 7 (I avoid Newsarama like the plague).

I have only red a few issue of countdown, in one way I wish it was pushed back further from 52's ending because I'm still invested (now) in the 52 aftermath stuff - and when you combine that with The Death of New Gods (which I like) there is just too much - although I understand they have Final Crisis slotted for essentially a hard date. 52 was awesome I really just think they moved to quickly to cash in again on the weekly book.

At this point with Countdown it's just uneven to me, but I'm willing to sit back and see where it goes for now because I love the idea of Morrison/Jones on Final Crisis.

Also - just added some GIJOE art coming my way! :smoking:

Thanks for the reading lists, especially those from nihil and dornish prince.

I recently got back into comics after not buying them for about 18 years. (Most of my collection is from the mid to late eighties.)

I found this thread by searching on "Vaughan" to see who else was reading Y: The Last Man, and what else they might recommend.

Well if you like Vaughan there's his other series Runaways and Ex Machina. Runaways is about a group of teenagers who discover their parents are actually evil supervillains (each couple is a cliche villain type; Mad Scientists, Alien Invaders, Evil Mutants, etc). Ex Machina is about the world's only superhero hanging up his suit and entering politics as the mayor of New York.

VALIANT is releasing an X-O Manowar hardcover next year (with some new material ala therr Harbinger release this year) so I'

m going to read the first 4 issue (5 including#0). It's been awhile but read the first issue, but same old goodness, I mean it's a Visigoth barbarian in our time fucking up technologically advanced spider aliens. How can you not dig that?

Picked up some moderns during last weeks VCC:

Comics Greatest World: Golden City (Retailer Incentive)

Comics Greatest World: Arcadia (Retailer Incentive)

Pitt #1 (Signed and Numbered Ashcan)

Those go in the stash though. Picked up a page from DC's Countdown recently featuring Mary Marvel as well.

Runaways is about a group of teenagers who discover their parents are actually evil supervillains (each couple is a cliche villain type; Mad Scientists, Alien Invaders, Evil Mutants, etc).

Runaways, All-Star Supes, and Dynamo 5 are some of my favorite superhero books in a long time.

When does the last Y: come out? It should be soon, right?

I agree Runaways has consistently been one of Marvel's best titles since it came out.

Been reading Harbinger: The Beginning, and (as noted above) I also happened to be reading teh first few issues of X-O Manowar as well and you just love how in one series there is a meeting and it's noted in the other (happen to be in the same city at the same time - real time goodness). Solar pops into both as well - I mean this is just good shit. I'm going to be doing a write-up on both soon.

What did I pick up recently -- Oh a Doom 2009 Color Proof for a cover - to go along with the Spidey 2099 from last week! Looks like my check was cashed the other day to - so more 52 pages coming :love:

• 2 weeks later...

I just read the first volume of Y:The Last Man in the bookstore yesterday. It was very good and I can't wait to read the next one. :thumbsup:

However, My local bookstore has a very spotty selection of comics, so will have to go to a comic book store

Runaways, All-Star Supes, and Dynamo 5 are some of my favorite superhero books in a long time.

When does the last Y: come out? It should be soon, right?

The last single issue of Y comes out in late January, IIRC, while the last trade paperback won't be out until late May or early June. In the intervening months I'm sure the entire goddamn internet will rise up as one to spoil the ending for those of us unfortunate enough to be tradewaiting this particular title.

I talked about comics with boiled leather at the last BWB NorCal meet. He recommended I get The Dark Knight Returns and the Killing Joke if I like Batman and want to prep up for the next movie. I also want to get Batman: Year One. Should I or shouldn't I?

The Dark Knight Returns is very good. The art can be a bit jarring at times (the style isn't to everyone's taste) but the story is well worth it. The Killing Joke is not quite as good, but has better art. :) Although if you're going to get The Killing Joke, I'd suggest picking up DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore instead. It contains Killing Joke plus has a bunch of other really good stuff.

Year One I haven't read so can't comment.

I'm not read comics much or very often, but I found some Jonah Hex. That's the man for my taste. The comics are Western genre.

There's been a small resurgence of comics into the Western genre recently. You might want to check out titles like Loveless, Scalped and Streets of Glory. There's also a new Lone Ranger series out and BatLash was just re-started as well. Or for something a bit more off the beaten path, Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears takes place just after the American Civil War and has a Western feel to it.

Archived