Guy Gavriel Kay

I've only read Tigana, but I really enjoyed it. It is a bit conventional at times, and, IMO, there is one part of the story that seems out of place, unnecessary, and pretty boring. Still, I just really enjoy his style of writing and thought his prose was a pleasure to read. And I was pretty satisfied with the ending, which had a nice twist that I didn't see coming, even though I probably should have.

I've only read Tigana, but I really enjoyed it. It is a bit conventional at times, and, IMO, there is one part of the story that seems out of place, unnecessary, and pretty boring. Still, I just really enjoy his style of writing and thought his prose was a pleasure to read. And I was pretty satisfied with the ending, which had a nice twist that I didn't see coming, even though I probably should have.

If I do read another one, I think that's the one I'm most likely to go with. It seems to have the most good things said about it.

OK, would those of you that know this writer well do a poll for me and rank the books of his that you have read spoiler free? I really liked Lions of Al-Rassan and I will read Kay again for sure. But what should I go to next? i'm leaning towards either Tigana or Song for Arbonne. (I lived in Provence for 5 months so "Song" may have special meaning for me.)

• 2 months later...

Kay is one of my favorite authors, I usually read 'Lions' every couple of years, and the others less often. Responding to some things from earlier in this thread:

1. Fionavar Tapestry - he was young when he wrote it. It's set at the U of T, because I think, he was a student there when he was writing it. He's matured a lot as a writer since then.

2. On Kay being 'manipulative.' Well he takes you on an emotional journey - so if you buy in, you don't notice the strings - and if you don't, you feel them jerking you. I don't think you can accuse him of being 'ham-fisted' in how he does it - at least compared to the genre as a whole.

3. The one trait that I notice in Kay's writing that kind of irks me a bit - is that his main characters are all so GOOD at things. They're unbelievably clever, the women are usually beautiful as hell. He'll have some minor characters that run counter to this - Tilliticus in 'Sarantium' forinstance - but all too often the lead characters are just so charismatic - so smart and able and capable. I've enjoyed reading reading GRRM partly because his characters seem to fallible and human by comparison.

Edited by Insert Edit

In Lions, that certainly seems to be the case. Ammar and Rodrigo are the two biggest badasses on the peninsula. Alvar is a young stud. Jahane is not only beautiful but brilliant. What's his name, the Kindath adviser to the king is brilliant as well. This didn't really bother me but I would agree that the book is full of amazingly gifted characters.

I found this with the Sarantium duology as well. I loved Valerius and his empress, but they were SO damn smart. The charioteer character isn't just a great athlete, but solves puzzles like nobody's business. It's like a mensa club for the beautiful.

I enjoy the hell out of the books, and I'm hooked in by them - but I REALLY notice the difference when I read stuff like Martin.

I have been meaning to re-read Lions for some time, before my images of it are spoiled by the forthcoming (ish) movie and since my mum lives near Valencia and seeing that countryside really helped me get a better grip on the feel of the book (since Lions is a riff on El Cid).

Also, the same for Arbonne, since my dad lives in the south of France. No relatives in Italy though, so Tigana will have to wait for now ;)

I have been meaning to re-read Lions for some time, before my images of it are spoiled by the forthcoming (ish) movie and since my mum lives near Valencia and seeing that countryside really helped me get a better grip on the feel of the book (since Lions is a riff on El Cid).

Also, the same for Arbonne, since my dad lives in the south of France. No relatives in Italy though, so Tigana will have to wait for now ;)

I have a feeling that you're not going to have to worry about the movie ruining your mental snapshots of the characters/settings.

I lived in Aix-en-Provence France for about 5 months so maybe I should go with Arbonne.

You might read Ysabel as well. I enjoyed reading about places I know in Aix and its region in a fantasy book by one of my favourite writers.