Guy Gavriel Kay

Well, I just started Ysabel. I haven't read a Kay book since Last Light of the Sun, but his style is immediately recognizable. Let me say this - I like Kay a lot. Everything except the Fionavar Tapestry I've enjoyed. I'm only 100 pages or so into Ysabel, and I'm enjoying it, but let me say this - I think every character in every Kay book is damn near interchangeable. Every character is above average. I mean this in the sense of they're all very intelligent, very witty, and always "say the right thing". I dunno...like I say, I like Kay, but he really seems trapped into one character type.

• 2 years later...

Well, I just started Ysabel. I haven't read a Kay book since Last Light of the Sun, but his style is immediately recognizable. Let me say this - I like Kay a lot. Everything except the Fionavar Tapestry I've enjoyed. I'm only 100 pages or so into Ysabel, and I'm enjoying it, but let me say this - I think every character in every Kay book is damn near interchangeable. Every character is above average. I mean this in the sense of they're all very intelligent, very witty, and always "say the right thing". I dunno...like I say, I like Kay, but he really seems trapped into one character type.

I only read Lions and thought it was decent but it was not engaging enough for me to pursue any of his other books. Under Heaven sounds very interesting to me though. He does seem to have a lot of Mary Sue's though, and after getting used to Martin, Abercrombie, and others it makes them harder to swallow.