November Reading Thread

Deornoth

Robert Redick's The Red Wolf Conspiracy will be the Rothfuss/Lynch of 2008, with the exception that it is much, much better than Rothfuss and more or less on a par with TLoLL, with every sign of it ending up better. Just an awesome debut novel.

Received my ARC of Last Argument of Kings, as I know several other bloggers have. Guess I better hurry up and finish the Redick then.

Robert Redick's The Red Wolf Conspiracy will be the Rothfuss/Lynch of 2008, with the exception that it is much, much better than Rothfuss and more or less on a par with TLoLL, with every sign of it ending up better. Just an awesome debut novel.

I'll have to see about getting a copy of this sometime - though your comparison makes little sense to me since I found Rothfuss' debut to much better than Lynch's.

Really? I liked the Rothfuss until after I finished it and thought about it and then realised the thing had more holes than a slab of swiss cheese. It was very well-written and entertaining, but too inconsistent. I've seriously considered going back and lopping off half a star from the score but never got round to it.

The Lies of Locke Lamora doesn't suffer from such problems (although Red Seas does a bit).

I think Red Wolf could eclipse both. A sort of Red Seas meets Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God meets The Borrowers with a dash of Erikson and all set about the nautical equivalent of Gormenghast. And they can quote me on that.

I picked up JV Jones' Cavern of Black Ice today. I liked the reviews I've seen of her stuff, and Pat's interview sealed the deal. This is only my second book from Tor, and the first one let me down horribly (Gardens of the Moon) hopefully this will give a better experience.

Red Wolf sounds like a good book and Christmas is almost here so...

Read the first book of 'The World of Quest' on the train to work today. It's a fantasy comic book aimed squarely at the '9 year old' audience so lots of joke about snot (made me laugh ) but there are a couple of pretty cool ideas inside. On the whole though it was too short for my liking and I wonder if it actually works better as the cartoon it's based on. I've written a review Here.

I'm now reading 'Beowulf' (Caitlin Kiernan) and apart from a couple of issues it's looking pretty good so far!

I'm reading thematically at the moment.

Lincoln and Chief Justice Taney by James Simon.

Team of Rivals - The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Seward, Bates and Chase are also strong presences. Goodwin also wrote the Pulitzer Prize winning No Ordinary Time about FDR and Eleanor Roosevelt, which is great non-fiction, IMO. She has an engaging style that I enjoy, she weaves together innumerable sources to bring the time and its people alive. In this book, she obviously put a great deal of time into reading letters and diaries and puts them to good effect; the many quotes adds depth to those involved, no longer simply historical figures but people, while also personalizing the experience for the reader, IMO.

Finished Blaylock's The Last Coin. It had some great bits, but spent way too much time inside the head of the annoying main character (who did redeem himself in the end) and then dumped all the explanation of the secret history/background magic on you all at once.

Now I'm reading Dennis Lehane's Mystic River, as the recent Lehane thread reminded me that I had enjoyed his first few books but never got around to reading his more recent work.

Aren't you on the Gollancz ARC list, Deornoth?

I'm not I'm afraid... :( I'd like to be though!

Edited to add: Although I'm not quite at the stage of camping outside their offices...

Actually... I'm typing this from an internet cafe just outside their offices... :blush:

Well, I know I liked Redick much, much better than Abercrombie (whose third arc I go and now don't know who to give it to as it seems everyone I emailed already has their's).

But the style was a bit heavy. Kind of similar to Lynch in that regards. I think Rothfuss and Ruckley are both quite a bit better in the storytelling area if I had to compare to the newer flavors of the month in the genre.

Unlike Rothfuss and Ruckley, Redick's book was very much a "first book". Rougher at the edges and structure overall and a few missteps that I think a more seasoned writer would ahve avoided. I'm hoping that Redick can rein in a little bit on the atmosphere as the series progresses as I think it can get a bit tiresome in how he handles it.

Overall, I can definitely see this making Redick the new writer of 2008 for many (though I never though Abercrombie would be as popular and figured Ruckley would be much more than he seems to be).

Well, I know I liked Redick much, much better than Abercrombie (whose third arc I go and now don't know who to give it to as it seems everyone I emailed already has their's).

If you don't want that ARC I know at least one person who'd happily pay lots of postage to take it off your hands. Me. ;)

I might be cheap and "re-gift" the sucker for the holidays. I do have a nephew that has no taste in books and would probably love to get it as his mother sticks to domestic book purchases. Depends on how irked I get looking at the thing sitting on my shelf taking up valuable space.

Archived