November Reading Thread

Deornoth

Just finished reading Brian Keene's 'Dark Hollow' (due for a Feb 2008) release. An author finds his home town invaded by the kind of pagan god that likes to make off with the town's women and, well... you know... :smileysex: This creature must be stopped but at what cost?

'Dark Hollow' is brimming with gore but is also a very scarey read at the same time (just right for Halloween). I'd recommend it to fans of Brian Keene or anyone who's after some good horror to read. My full review is Here.

I'm reading the new Star Wars book by Karen Traviss ('True Colours') right now but am also thinking of picking up David Keck's 'In the Eye of Heaven' or Charles de Lint's 'The Ivory and the Horn'.

Last reads of October:

The Watchmen by Alan Moore. Very very good. The premise, superheroes being knocked off, pulls you right into the story. All characters are adroitly developed. The ending rings a bit hollow, especially post-911, but I would still recommend this unhesitatingly.

A Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin. Highly stylized view of an alternate history of New York, focusing on a few main characters. Before it's done, someone will die and return at the millenium to redeem mankind,, a child will be raised from the dead, the city will be destroyed and rebuilt, and you will wonder if Helprin is a fan of Ayn Rand. It's that kind of book.

Right now I'm reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Micheal Chabon, which is, oddly, feels like a cross between the above two. A couple Jewish comic book writers in WWII era New York. Except that it's quite good.

I've also signed up for NaNoWriMo (even though I haven't started yet). In theory, November should be a lighter than normal reading month for me.

Checked out the following from the library:

The Terror - Dan Simmons

Keeping It Real - Justina Robson(?)

Master and Commander - Patrick O'Brian

Elric of _____ (the first one) - Michael Moorcock

I'm starting The Terror. I have a feeling it may take me a while and will be renewing the others before the due date four weeks hence.

I'm still in the middle of Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind, but right now have Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Avatar in my bag, lacking the room to carry a big hardcover with me.

I really liked the first two books of the Kushiel series and have the next two volumes sitting on my shelf, so it's time to start reading, even though it's Nanowrimo-time :)

I just finished Warrior-Prophet by R. Scott Bakker

God's demon by Wayne Barlow

Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley

Memories of Ice by Steve Erikson

For November I want to try

The Book of Joby by Mark J. Ferrari

The Thousandfold Thought by R. Scott Bakker

Magic For Beginners by Kelly Link

Dead Funny by Tom Holt

Lamb by Chris Moore

I am trying for a little more humor this month

A Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin. Highly stylized view of an alternate history of New York, focusing on a few main characters. Before it's done, someone will die and return at the millenium to redeem mankind,, a child will be raised from the dead, the city will be destroyed and rebuilt, and you will wonder if Helprin is a fan of Ayn Rand. It's that kind of book.

For what it's worth, Helprin DID use be a speech writer for Bob Dole. I personally felt it to be too religous in tone to make me think of Rand, even if the underlying philosophy definitely felt right wing.

I really liked the first half of this book and the prose is consistently beautiful, but the part set in the near future wasn't at all as interesting and engaging.

Aprilfool

I just finished Warrior-Prophet by R. Scott Bakker

God's demon by Wayne Barlow

Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley

Memories of Ice by Steve Erikson

I see you're new so I'll go easy on you ;)

The idea of the reading threads is that we post what we read and tell others what we thought of them. Otherwise they just become threads that list books, which is useless. This does not require folks to write an essay on them, but a few sentences at least is what we are looking for.

Aprilfool

The idea of the reading threads is that we post what we read and tell others what we thought of them. Otherwise they just become threads that list books, which is useless. This does not require folks to write an essay on them, but a few sentences at least is what we are looking for.

Thanks for not aiming this at me, even though I've been on the board for 1 1/2 years now and still just put a list above...

:dunno:

For what it's worth, Helprin DID use be a speech writer for Bob Dole. I personally felt it to be too religous in tone to make me think of Rand, even if the underlying philosophy definitely felt right wing.

I really liked the first half of this book and the prose is consistently beautiful, but the part set in the near future wasn't at all as interesting and engaging.

I knew that Helprin was a conservative writer, and this might have biased me against him. The overt religious themes were a bit over-the-top for me, too. I was expecting to be bothered by the purple prose, but I guess I skimmed at the right speed where it didn't bug me ;)

Aprilfool

Sorry! Just finished Winterbirth so I can make some quick comments to that. Great story! Liked that the magic element was not as dominant as other stories. I found myself very intersted in the story that was not being told...the back story where the Huanin and the Kyrinin eliminate the Whreinin and therfore piss off the Gods. I hope that Mr. Ruckley will get back to that some day.

Sorry! Just finished Winterbirth so I can make some quick comments to that. Great story! Liked that the magic element was not as dominant as other stories. I found myself very intersted in the story that was not being told...the back story where the Huanin and the Kyrinin eliminate the Whreinin and therfore piss off the Gods. I hope that Mr. Ruckley will get back to that some day.

Not trying to gang up on you or anything but you should mention that thought in the Winterbirth thread. Ruckley is a member on this forum and has responded to previous comments in that thread. I also liked Winterbirth much in the same way you did.

I looked up God's Demon and am a little interested in the backdrop. What was your take after finishing?

Since when did we have 'rules' on what you can stick in the reading threads?

Write a mini-essay on the book you just read or a terse list of what you've been reading, it doesn't really matter ;)

And to stay OT I'm reading Dreamsongs by GRRM. It is very good. Cheers.

Not trying to gang up on you or anything but you should mention that thought in the Winterbirth thread. Ruckley is a member on this forum and has responded to previous comments in that thread. I also liked Winterbirth much in the same way you did.

I looked up God's Demon and am a little interested in the backdrop. What was your take after finishing?

Loved the book for the visuals that it gave me.....if that makes sense. He has some great/ fresh ideas about Hell and its inhabitants. The plot and outcome were a little predictable but still a very cool story and glad I read it. If sequels appear it might get old.

Just finished Winterbirth, which i really enjoyed. Like others have mentioned, the lack of magic was nice, and the battle scenes were very well done. I also thought the characterization was quite good. I am definitely looking forward to Bloodheir.

Currently reading A Malady of Magicks by Craig Shaw Gardner, and next up is Dzur or A Shadow In Summer

I haven't read anything in months that wasn't required reading for school, but got Before They Are Hanged from Amazon a few days ago, so have started reading again. I liked the first book but thought it had some flaws. So far, am liking BTAH much more.

No one here will care, but I guess I should mention that I also got this from Amazon and am reading it. Me and my cousins have been messing around with some of these techniques in my uncle's backyard ring. Real page-turner! :P

And finally, I'm reading Where the Wild Things Are to my daughters. That book sure seemed a helluva lot better when I was a kid. Puff the Magic Dragon is next in line. Then going to reread James Herriot's Dog Stories to them. We all love that book.

I finished reading (and reviewing) Winterbirth today. I really liked it. The battles were well done..I almost felt like i was watching a movie while reading them (which doesnt happen often for me). I would recommend it if you are looking for a good (and sometimes gritty) epic fantasy.

I am now reading A Malady of Magicks for some humor, and will probably start Furies of the Calderon next.

Read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It was alright. I think it lost something because it is such a well known story. I also think that the writing doesn't hold up as well as other tales from that era (Doyle's Sherlock Holmes for instance).

6.5/10

Been working on F. Paul Wilson's The Keep for the past few days, and have about 50-60 pages to go. The beginning was very interesting, but as the mystery was revealed (much too soon imo) it became less interesting. I keep expecting there to be more (and I really think there is), but the lag in the middle is definitely going to lead to fewer points on the final score.

Up next I'm thinking of starting The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller. I've heard good things and it seems like a lot of people have been reading this lately. (and I after the let down of the last two I want a good epic fantasy story.)

Archived