What games are you playing / looking forward to?

zakalwe7

Something that does occur to me as being ludicrous as that we arguably haven't had a killer ap FPS since 2004, when Far Cry and Half-Life 2 were released (and Doom 3 was vaguely diverting). I was hoping FC2 was going to be the next one, but apparently not.

Call of Duty 4

Maybe not as innovative as HL2 or Far Cry, but it was a helluva good game.

Then again, I'm of the opinion that the original Far Cry is ludicrously overrated and that the game turns to shit when the mutants show up.

I still maintain that Crysis is a technically brilliant game and in terms of mechanics just about the best FPS I've ever played. But it was way too short (and on top of that most of the levels directly involving the aliens are not very good), had a lacklustre story and the final boss fight felt like it was transplanted straight from an 80s topscroller. If only Crytek had some decent writers...

Agreed 100%. :)

Call of Duty 4

Maybe not as innovative as HL2 or Far Cry, but it was a helluva good game.

Yup, that's on my to-buy list, as is Bioshock, which has finally come down to a sane price (£10 at the moment).

Then again, I'm of the opinion that the original Far Cry is ludicrously overrated and that the game turns to shit when the mutants show up.

True, but it gets good again when they sod off, as they do for a large chunk of the latter part of the game. Of course, they turn up again in insane numbers on the final mission, but there you go.

Personally, I found the mutants more bearable than the aliens in Crysis, depsite CryTek's protestations to the contrary. Seriously CryTek, next time just keep the human bad guys throughout the whole game.

FarCry is awesome, inspite of the mutants.

Seriously, play the level where you take out the towers again. They drop you in a boat, give you an island and saw "Take out these towers. Your call on how it's done." So good.

Far Cry, HL2 and the episodes had bosses...hmmm...haven't really played many other newish games other than them. I think the more disturbing trend is how easy games have gotten. I don't remember the last game I struggled through at any point. Boss fights are probably a victim of that trend to a certain extent.

I fuckin' love that level.

I don't know if anyone can agree with me on this, but is there a trend nowdays away from the proverbial "boss fight"? I can't remember the last game that had a good one. I still remember the boss fight in Dark Forces against the superstormtroopers or whatever they were. Or the fight against Demogorgon in Throne of Baal.

Maybe I'm wrong, but developers seem to be shying away from boss fights or making them totally anticlimactic.

Have to agree. Half life 2 is the standard for this. Two gunships? What the hell kind of boss is that!

Archived